Will this Ed White Sell?

On offer from a good seller, this 105.003 has an interesting dial.

IMG_0416.jpeg

The price is $10,000 from HQ Milton. Link here

a nice Ed White will still require over $20,000 for a good one. So at this asking price, we should see if there is anything to learn.

I know many (most?) will dismiss this as a damaged overposlished poor condition watch, but I think it has something, even if not as much as the asking.

The heart of the watch is the dial, then the bezel.

This dial is faded, tropicalised. However it is also damaged, and I would say quite severely. The print is badly missing at 4 to 5 markers. The dial surface has an interesting fade, but not the kind of fade that I would place a premium on it. The markers themselves are also degraded. The T SWISS MADE T is mostly missing. It is not a fine, nor valuable dial. I do find it interesting.

The bezel looks awful. I have a feeling that the lighting is not doing it any favours and it may be better in the metal - it is still not a bezel I find attractive.

IMG_0419.jpeg

Crown and pushers look original and that is positive.

I would say the case is quite polished - but all straight lug speedmasters seem to have some sort of polishing.

IMG_0418.jpeg

call me a philistine but polished cases on straight lug speedmaster don’t put me off if other attributes draw me in.

The movement has an average amount of watchmaker evidence, without anything bad in terms of condition. The dust cover is a modern service replacement.

IMG_0420.jpeg

The reason this watch deserves discussion is that two to three years ago, an Ed White for under $10,000 was saleable on price alone, if it was complete and original parts.

Now, we are in different times. We cannot confirm this movement through the archives, and this is a big stumbling block. Previously we could have allocated a big chunk of value to a confirmed Ed White movement - this cannot be confirmed at this time, although the number looks to fall into accepted range.

I think the dial is too far gone to allocate value, but I do find it interesting. But not valuable.

The bezel may well be better than it looks.

case is acceptable , and they look original pushers which is not as common today as you might think.

The question I ask, is this watch saleable at this level? HQM is a trustworthy dealer whose expertise is in Rolex, and I have in the past managed to buy nice speedmasters from them, and at other times looked at their speedmasters wondering why they bought them. What I like is that they often have quirky watches like this.

Another way to think about this. If we take off dealer premium, then I think of this watch at $8,000. Do I think it’s worth it? Not sure.

$6,000 ? Yes, that’s my no brainier buy button…

$7,000 ? not sure

$8,000 not today.

Can I find another Ed White for $10,000? Not easily.

Like 12
I can like watches very much that have heavy patina and are not perfect....as long as they have that certain je ne sais quoi, let's call it vintage 'character' or wabi-sabi or whatever. But this one for me is totally missing any kind of magic and so would be a pass at any price unless it was cheap enough whereby I could start a project with it. So then we're talking around 4K to make all the time, effort and expense in finding a great dial worthwhile, as well as leaving some meat on the bone for me for later on. So then realistically bearing all that in mind this watch I'd unlikely ever buy as I'd never be able to reach a value equilibirum with the seller.

Like 12
I can definitely think of better ways to spend $10k, it would annoy me every time I looked at it, and that would lead to me not wearing it, which makes it pretty much useless as a watch, while a very good 145.012 or a perfect straight writing -69 would have me enjoying it every time I looked at it. Some asterisks next to a watch are ok but that’s too big of an asterisk to be enjoyable.

Like 13
The hour and minute hands are modern replacement, the Antimagnetic cover is also a modern one, which is strange considering the crown and pushers are original.
Could be a put together watch.
The dial is terrible for my liking.
While i dont mind polished cases, this one has terrible bewels on lugs.
Bezel would give me the least amount of consern.
All in all, unattractive and expensive. Wouldnt go above 5000-€ on this piece

Edit: after taking s closer look at the sellers website, it is hard to tell if the bewels are that bad or just the reflections.
Btw the price listed is 10.850,- USD
Edited:

Like 5
Market is soft. Speedmasters are soft and this example is poor with a water damaged, unattractive dial. But everything always sells. This may sit for a while but I am sure there’s someone that sees something in it and eventually makes a trade for it or comes up with a good enough offer.

Price is very hard these days. I’ve picked up two good 2998’s lately for around 12k so this for 11 is tough. Really tough.

Like 5
Market is soft. Speedmasters are soft and this example is poor with a water damaged, unattractive dial. But everything always sells. This may sit for a while but I am sure there’s someone that sees something in it and eventually makes a trade for it or comes up with a good enough offer.

Price is very hard these days. I’ve picked up two good 2998’s lately for around 12k so this for 11 is tough. Really tough.
Wow 12k for good 2998 are quite good catches. Can you show us?,

Like 5
"Will this Ed White sell?"

Probably, but not to an OF member.

So, it will likely sell, but to whom?

This either has to sell for 3 to 5k, in which case it primarily serves as bragging rights at the next GTG: "But GUESS how much I paid for this?!"

Or it sells to an inexperienced buyer who has heard of Ed White (although they might not know anything about Ed White's career) and they heard that patina is more valuable. Unfortunately for them, they can't yet distinguish between patina and damage. It could be a costly lesson.

There's an argument that there aren't many 321s in existence and good ones are relatively undervalued in the whole watch world. If decent Ed White's were 50K, this might be worth 10k. But the market is not there yet.

I look at this damaged watch and wonder why nice Ed Whites aren't more expensive.

Poscript: To me, the one thing that ruins this watch are the pristine hands. Some of the damage on the dial might be lume dust/debris, or I could tell myself it is. If the hands matched the rest, I might enjoy wearing it.

Like 1
Too long in the lemon juice or toaster oven.

Can see the watch (and serial #) with a different dial for $16-18k by Easter
With a “One owner barn find” title :D

Like 1
... and they heard that patina is more valuable.
You mean the "Beautiful & even light Chocolate Brown dial with creamy tritium lume plots" and the "faded dot over 90 bezel insert?"

Like 1
Sure it will sell. Milton's perspective rgd. Value: They will aim for 20% " Profit" . That makes their Valuation of this EW slightly over $ 8000 . Which will not be easy to achieve , but is possible ...

Have Phillips write the description, it'll be a $100k watch.

Like 1
You mean the "Beautiful & even light Chocolate Brown dial with creamy tritium lume plots" and the "faded dot over 90 bezel insert?"

"With a dial that evokes the raw emotion of Van Gogh's Starry Night, it not only marks your moment in time, but also your place in the infinite universe."

Like 2
hey, HQ selling hats.............................
hat_533x.jpg

Can I find another Ed White for $10,000? Not easily.

I agree on the "not easily", but without hunting for one I was offered two EWs (from different sources) for around 7k$ in the last few months. Obviously, both had flaws, but weren't a complete shitshow. Came with DONs, too. Watches that, with a Hyman-relume, someone might enjoy. As you said, great examples still hold their value. It's the ones that are far from being great that came down in value significantly and it makes sense to me. Why spend 10k on something that's not even attractive...

Like 4
Could be wrong but I think that one has been for sale on HQM for several years. That speaks for itself.

Like 1
Although I’ve never actually taken the plunge, I’ve always fancied a ratty but attractive 321 Speedmaster that could be properly hammered without concern to the impact on value or condition.
Obviously the key element is price and I think the notion of starting with what’s the ‘buy it, no questions’ price and slowly going up from there is a really good approach.

Personally, I would never end up at $10k for this one. Even two years ago.

Like 5
My prediction is that it will "sell," and show up shortly afterwards for sale by a different dealer. :D

Like 1
Although I’ve never actually taken the plunge, I’ve always fancied a ratty but attractive 321 Speedmaster that could be properly hammered without concern to the impact on value or condition.
Obviously the key element is price and I think the notion of starting with what’s the ‘buy it, no questions’ price and slowly going up from there is a really good approach.

Personally, I would never end up at $10k for this one. Even two years ago.

Exactly. I gotta admit, the offered examples weren’t far off from that point. I like the idea of an… what’s the right word, „affordable“ or „cheap“ feels inadequate, but you know what I mean. Anyway, such a low-cost straight lug beater Speedy. Sounds pretty cool. :)

Like 1