Forums Latest Members
  1. kpaxsg Apr 21, 2018

Hi Guys, almost immediately after I won an auction this morning, the seller from Spain with like less than 20 feedbacks all positive and just joined ebay in July 2017 send me this following message:
    Hi, I have some problems with my PayPal linked to eBay. but I received payments through
    PayPal with buyer protection.
    If you agree, send me your PayPal email to send the invoice.thanks

Total amount close to $600.

I got the palpat invoice, should I proceed? Am I still under paypal protection? Treated like most of us transacting here?

Thanks!

2. Kmart Apr 21, 2018

Sounds like he's trying to dodge Ebay seller fees. Personally I wouldn't do it.

felsby, adi4, GuiltyBoomerang and 3 others like this.
  3. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Apr 21, 2018

I would steer clear. Why take the chance? I like to tell myself there will always be another .

4. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Apr 21, 2018

I agree with them above. I would stay clear.

5. airansun In the shuffling madness Apr 21, 2018

Yup

6. bristnj Apr 21, 2018

To answer your question, yes you would be covered. That being said, the sellers act is sketchy, especially since you won the auction and I would heed the advise above. If you buy the piece via outside of eBAY (via PayPal), you run the risk of getting your eBAY account suspended as well. If you want the watch, I'd tell the guy its via eBAY or to cancel your order. You'll have all the documentation via emails in eBAY if you end-up with any issues, so they will side with you for sure.

7. kpaxsg Apr 21, 2018

His reply just moments ago:
    I have. problems to receive direct payments from ebay sorry.

you have the 100% paypal protection.
    If you do not accept we cancel the sale I feel them

regards

8. redpcar Apr 21, 2018

If he cancels the sale can you still leave feedback? I wonder how well he will do selling it after an honest feedback is received.

9. 77deluxe Apr 21, 2018

+1 don’t do it.

Taddyangle likes this.
  10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 21, 2018

Is the invoice legit? That is, do you see it when you log into your PayPal account?

Anyway, yeah, sketchy. I'd message him back and ask that he work to resolve the issue with Ebay so you can complete the transaction. Make sure it's through the Ebay messaging facility.

11. kpaxsg Apr 21, 2018

Invoice looks legit. I was just thinking what do I have to lose if under Pay pal protection .

12. FreelanceWriter Apr 22, 2018

This is absolutely 100% wrong; and I think you should be more careful before dispensing advice upon which someone else could rely at his risk and probably to his substantial detriment.

If you pay by PayPal invoice (or by any other mechanism) instead of checking out through eBay, you are NOT protected at all for item not as described. You're only protected for non-receipt and (I think) for receipt of something totally different from whatever you bought (like a book or a rock instead of a watch); you might not even be protected against that if the tracking info shows a package "delivered." To answer the OP's question, you have everything to lose if you pay by invoice and nothing to lose (even if the item never arrives or isn't as described) if you checkout through eBay using PayPal. Their explanation about this and what the conditions are to qualify for buyer protection are explicitly clear.

You should just pay for the item through the eBay checkout process and add a note to the seller saying that you're going to report him to eBay immediately if he tries to cancel the transaction and doesn't ship the item. THAT you can do safely and totally rely on buyer protection for your payment if he doesn't ship the item AND if it's not as described on receipt.

Edited Apr 22, 2018
    larryganz and felsby like this.
  13. bristnj Apr 22, 2018

You are looking at two different thoughts here. What I am saying is if the PayPal invoice was legit, then technically he would be covered under PayPal. (NOT eBAY), just like any other PayPal purchase. Again, I strongly suggested he not do that given the circumstances, was only answering his question.

As far as the emails for support, that is within eBAY via eBAY messaging. If he insists on paying via checkout (which he should), and the seller responds as he has, wanting to cancel the transaction, he can now go to eBAY with support showing he is being asked to only buy outside of eBAY as well as any other issues that may arise.

14. sgrossma Apr 22, 2018

Don't do it.
    And leave feedback accordingly.

77deluxe likes this.
  15. kpaxsg Apr 22, 2018

I notice some ebay trend searching ,

Quite a few seller not sure same syndicate with description saying payments to be made by paypal...location of watch and seller from
    Peru

‘All part of my collection . we are collector and have some Items

We guarantee all parts Original Omega ( Vintage )

Shipping information will be send once is shipped confirmated Payment .

Must be Paypal Payment - Guarantee Money back - Satisfaction

Delivery to Worldwide - Ask question for Quote on you country’

16. chipsotoole Apr 22, 2018

As far as I recall, there is only buyer protection if the seller maintains a 100% feedback rate. But the rules might have changed since then. If the seller has problems with PayPal through ebay, it is usually fixed with a simple phone call. Them failing to do so raises more questions...I reckon you're being scammed in some way...

17. Xeer Apr 22, 2018

Very sketchy.. Ask for references?

18. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Apr 22, 2018

Just grasping at straws here, did the item you buy go for a lot less than other similar items on eBay? I am just wondering if he’s trying to scare you away so he can relist it again, and hope for more.

felsby likes this.
  19. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Apr 22, 2018

What is the seller's eBay ID? Would be nice to know who to avoid. This is most certainly a scam, or as @Vercingetorix said, a seller that tries to get you to cancel the sale.

20. tikkathree Apr 22, 2018

Especially given the chance of Paypal telling you to seek redresss through EBay. You could always put the question to EBay first.