Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 22, 2012

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/0...rc-researcher-windows-8-is-a-cognitive-burden

A few thoughts...

1: Putting a mobile phone interface on a high resolution monitor, especially when Apple is forcing resolutions into 2560x1600+ territory is idiotic, people don't like change, there's no need for it, and its a silly way to use a computer

2: When PCs are heading south of $500 and in some cases under $350 brand new, there's no room in the cost of a new PC to fit a $100+ Windows OS license.

3: With OSX gaining market share, Linux is also now a bigger competitor than ever, with every Android handset carrying it, as well as Chrome OS and many affordable laptops.

4: Even Apple and Google aren't dumb enough to think they can converge desktop PCs and tablets, that's why Apple runs desktops on OSX and mobile on iOS.

If I had stock in Microsoft I'd be selling it about now

2. smithrjd Aug 22, 2012

Hard to say, in the US they are saying $49.00 for an upgrade with a code from an ealier Microsoft OS. Don't have 8 yet but might consider it. Not sure what the professionals IT types corperate etc will say. For the consumer it might well make it. Vista was a bust 7 not bad, will have to see where 8 goes.

3. Trev The Architect Staff Member Aug 22, 2012

I have Windows 8 running in a virtual machine here. I went in with an open mind, but still ended up really disappointed. I think Microsoft has completely lost their way, it's like they're not even trying. They've forced what is clearly a phone and tablet experience on to computers that have keyboards, mice, larger displays, and often no touch input.

On a 27" display with 2560 pixels across, the start screen and full screen apps feel ridiculous. It's a complete waste of space and counter-intuitive for getting work done. The detachment between the start screen and desktop is also very jarring. I've noticed they're still using old icons that are leftovers from Windows Vista and 7, making parts of the UI feel mismatched and unfinished against the new (flat coloured) Win8 icons. In some ways the desktop is refreshingly minimalist, but they way they've implemented it feels like some old Windows XP "theme". It's not just minimal, it's lifeless and uninspired.

I can imagine the typical home Windows user hating this entire experience A LOT. It will be frustrating for the majority of their market. If this is the best Microsoft can do, I believe it's the beginning of the end for them. They have enough cash to stay around forever, but that doesn't mean they'll be relevant or noteworthy in the future of computing. Windows 8 feels like a desperate product from a dysfunctional company.

4. Trev The Architect Staff Member Aug 22, 2012

Yeah, I think it'll end up at $49 for pretty much everyone. That's how I interpreted the discounts.

If i were to run Win8, I'd bypass the whole start screen with something like Start8.
    The start screen+full screen apps on a big display are truly awful.