Forums Latest Members

Why So Many Franken Cuervo & Sobrinos Out There?

1. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 8, 2017

Why on earth are there so many franken Cuervo & Sobrinos out there? Seems like every one you see is a redial of some sort, and most being from the 1960s...years after the brand went out of business in 1959 meaning they are some sort of fake.

It just seems so off to me as to why there is the large amount of these watches floating around.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 8, 2017

$

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 8, 2017

Cuervo & Sobrinos was not a brand as far as I know. It was a retailer in Havana. Historically, it sold a number of Swiss brands and occasionally put its name on the dial in addition to the Swiss manufacturer, in the manner of many other retailers. It was the sole importer (UNicos Importadores) for only one or two brands - Longines and Roskopf I think, but I may be wrong. There is a very complete post about them on one of the Spanish watch fora - can't find it right now, but would appreciate a link if anyone knows it.

The name was co-opted for a new luxury brand in the 1990s - glitzy and over the top, not to my taste. I think a lot of sellers of junk watches just slap the name on the dial hoping for profit by association.

wristpirate likes this.
  4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 8, 2017

Yes, I know it wasn't a brand, it just seems so odd that so many crap watches have the name slapped on the dial as if it were a brand. Just so odd to me.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 8, 2017

1. Nostalgia for anything "old" Cuba is great.

2. CyS used to make their own dials for some brands of watches, so even original pre-'59 watches sometimes look ridiculous. So they are easy to fake. An exception to the above is Longines, who used to make custom dials for CyS that were quite attractive.

[​IMG]

But you better like pocketwatches! :)
    gatorcpa

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 8, 2017

I like that pocketwatch!

Syrte likes this.
  7. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Feb 8, 2017

Me too!

8. ncstate1201 Feb 9, 2017

Interesting thread I was just asking myself after a newer one showed up in an eBay search what is the big deal about the name....people market it and mark it up

9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 9, 2017

Ha, the answer to the question seems simple: it's because Cuba has become fashionable, so people are cooking up all sorts of stuff in order to sell.
    And also I would submit the humid weather may be quite unforgiving.

Cuervo y Sobrinos as a store still exists today in old Havana but it is now a state property, owned by the government tourism conglomerate Habaguanex (which uses tourism proceeds to fund the restoration of old Havana and various social works in the city).

I was actually planning on posting a "balad in Havana" post after a visit in November -- that included a visit to the watch stands in the Plaza des Armas, where I could only find ONE original "Cuervo y Sobrinos" dial on a Roskopf watch. I decided against the purchase as I thought the watch was too damaged for the price.
    Here are the pics.... with a surprise at the end as it seemed we had a rendez vous with history.

IMG_9815.JPG IMG_9817.JPG IMG_9818.JPG IMG_9821.JPG IMG_9822.JPG IMG_9825.JPG IMG_9828.JPG IMG_0543.JPG IMG_0544.JPG IMG_0545.JPG IMG_0546.JPG
    Edited Feb 9, 2017
    Shabbaz likes this.