Forums Latest Members
  1. chilly41 Mar 4, 2019

What drew you to Omega? I have always had a love for watches, I guess I was just born that way. I remember window shopping on Jewlers Row in Center City Philadelphia around 10 years ago and I saw this beautiful watch in the window of one of the shops. The watch was an Omega Seamaster with the Electric Blue dial. I obsessed over that watch and eventually brought it; I guess that initiated my love for Omega watches. When looking back almost every luxury watch that I've ever purchased has been an Omega. About 5 years ago I sold all of my Omega watches due to some unfortunate life circumstances and afterwards I rarely wore a watch. About 6 months ago the fire was rekindled and since then I have been fortunate enough to obtain an AT 8500, SMPc Blue dial, and Speedy Moonwatch. I don't know where I'll go from here...Maybe I'll get another Electric Blue eventually or maybe I'll venture out to other brands like Tudor or maybe Rolex. I have a feeling that I will always be drawn back to Omega though

2. Speedy 419 Mar 4, 2019

I've always felt that Omega is a brand that is right up there with Rolex, but isn't pretentious. An Omega is fairly accessible for many people and they don't play the AD games like Rolex. I like that Omega is willing to push the boundaries of traditional watchmaking with their co-axial movements and their history, especially with the Speedmaster. There are very few watches out there that have that kind of historical pedigree. Also, when you see someone wearing an Omega, you know that they love watches and are not using the brand to show off to others,

If I'm going to spend the money for another luxury watch, it will likely be either an Omega or Grand Seiko.

3. OMEGuy Mar 4, 2019

He never got to know what he did with me, because he passed away too early in 1977, but my grandpa's watch was the initial thing for me. I didn't know what would happen when I inherited it, but many years later this watch was the very beginning of my collection.

upload_2019-3-4_17-31-29.jpeg

4. dekevain Mar 4, 2019

I saw the 42mm 8500 PO on sale and figured: why not?

No regrets. It’s an amazing watch. And while I ended up buying a Rolex Explorer for every day use, I still throw on the PO regularly.

chilly41 likes this.
  5. pongster Mar 4, 2019

Why not?

My friend in college had a speedmaster. Been wanting one ever since. After about two decades, finally got me my own speedy.

chilly41 and OMEGuy like this.
  6. llvhhui Mar 4, 2019

Watch+history+customer service-snobbery(you know which brand I’m talking about)+James Bond=Omega

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 4, 2019

Because Rolex screwed up the orange hand explorer II re-release proportions and the Planet Ocean Chrono in the next case looked great on my wrist... the rest is history.

8. ras47 Mar 4, 2019

Back in my Wall Street days it seemed everyone had a Rolex. It was a status symbol and many folks didn't even get it fitted properly, wearing it instead like a bangle/bracelet. A few never bothered to set the time or date. Imagine, a gold Rolex Day/Date, useless for anything but as a decoration! It really turned me off to the brand. But I wanted a nice watch, so I looked at other brands. Omega Seamasters checked all the boxes for me. I used to dive quite a bit, both for fun and commercially, so a dive watch was my first choice.

After half a dozen Seamasters over the years I pretty much gave up diving. Deep diving anyway. And I rediscovered my love of the Space Program and NASA. I'm a geek at heart! So a Speedmaster was a logical next step in horology for me. But the Speedy didn't have a couple features I prefer in watches. In particular, an automatic winding movement and a date window. Then the co-axial Speedmaster made the scene and I dove in. The co-axial Speedmaster also had another attribute I appreciate: a larger diameter. With my 7 3/4" wrists a 40mm watch is just barely big enough, and back then I was into larger watches. More wrist presence. Boom. Haven't looked back!

Speedy-21.jpg

9. Duckie Mar 4, 2019

I absolutely love the twisted lug type design of the Mid-case.
    And Omega has always represented to me as being good value for money in terms of Swiss watches.

chilly41, OMEGuy and superfly like this.
  10. JFerraro819 Mar 4, 2019

Good looking watches
    good brand
    good history
    less pretentious yet almost as well known as the "popular" brand

KingCrouchy, chilly41, OMEGuy and 3 others like this.
  11. TedG954 Mar 4, 2019

My biggest reason is that Omega watches are unpretentious. 2nd place to Rolex is fine with me. I've owned a couple of Rolex watches and still own a two-tone Datejust. I don't wear it and haven't worn it for years. . Someone who chooses an Omega over a Rolex knows something, and they don't have to shout it. I prefer to be that person.

12. fastfras Mar 4, 2019

I really don't want to spend 30 to 40K on a half a dozen pre owned watches when 15 to 20 on Omega pieces cover the same bases. All the other posts point out similar reasons to owning Omega.

13. Yukatan Mar 4, 2019

Funny I was thinking about creating a thread about this yesterday.

Firstly, I just liked the aesthetic of vintage Omega's, like the common Geneve automatics and Seamasters (Cal. 562/1012, before they became diver watches). Simple, classic, unpretentious.

Then one day I thought the Speedy's looked cool, but couldn't quite pin why. I used to think chronometers are the most useless things people want in a watch, but for some reason the Speedy defied that thought. I think my brain just realized the proportions of it were so right. Also being a car guy, that tachometre is pretty cool.

I dislike being showy, and Omega straddles the line of luxury without being overtly pretentious. Nobody's ever come up to me and asked, "is that a Speedmaster?" and I like that.

14. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 4, 2019

When I was a wee lad the first watch I ever noticed was the one on my Dad's wrist, a nice looking Omega Century. Half a century later Dad's watch has been well serviced and takes its place with my other wrist watches, half of which are Omegas... wonder why?

15. magi007 Mar 4, 2019

Omega all the way! Bought a Rolex 2 years ago and it was a real pleasure/experience, now they are out of reach for many reasons and are simply forgetting the customers by focusing too much on their image! I bought my first Omega back in 1990 (pre-bond seamaster) it hasn't let me down since...bought my second one in 2017 (SMP300 black ceramic)...the third one is on its way (Speedmaster MKII TT) and already looking for another one (AquaTerra or Seamaster 300 1957)... over all these years I was never let down by Omega! My AD in Montreal has been excellent and a charm to deal with!

Way to go Omega!

Edited Mar 4, 2019
  16. Fusion Mar 4, 2019

I echo what many of the posters above have said. I feel cooler and more comfortable wearing Omega than Rolex. Often times when I wear the sub I find the need to hide what I got. With Omega, I do not feel like I should be guilty or embarrassed. I appreciate the value and history as well as the aesthetics of the professional line. My first "nice" watch was an Omega. The next 5 were Omegas too, I couldn't stop! Really great brand. Also, I love how most of the 20mm bracelets are interchangeable. Hell, I can even put my aqua terra bracelet on the SMP! (second photo not mine)

j1n2ekh-2.jpg IMG_3697_zpsubaspxjw.jpg

Panych, kmacrae001, TedG954 and 2 others like this.
  17. ntfromto Mar 4, 2019

I think what drew me to Omega was the Speedmaster Moonwatch. Being a fan of Sci-fi, the moonwatch was something real you can hold in your hands and say this has been to space (not your actual watch but one just like it) it’s kinda cool.

I also am a fan of the older watches especially from the 70’s. They sure had the cool factor dialed in, in my opinion.

A few from my collection...
    CBBE54F5-193A-4205-AEFB-248616ACB81D.jpeg C6C39A11-EF4E-436C-84AE-E68BB40C6B93.jpeg 6A78CC39-4F49-42F0-AA7F-18E75A7495D8.jpeg 5CF80009-7430-4B4E-8BD2-741B9B021CD5.jpeg 9F7E1216-D0C5-4C19-BAF7-A314B8001DE7.jpeg 50BF2ADA-6FCA-4F4C-A400-1466CC2E44CC.jpeg A3222618-CCA5-4172-A6DD-BCAFF1093EE0.jpeg 6725680F-8B6E-4B4A-BD77-9F95AB1C8A6B.jpeg 7D7B9318-A2C0-4D04-A260-583565FDD0A2.jpeg

EricCsN, flw, NikolShep and 4 others like this.
  18. Canuck Mar 4, 2019

I’ve been collecting watches for over 40 years. Long before the Omega Message Board. By the time I discovered the OMB about 5 years ago, I had already collected about eight Omegas, largely by being in the right place at the right time. Including two Speedmasters. Since I became active on the OMB, I have added 4 or 5 more Omegas. In addition to many other makes. I’m a bottom feeder. My newest Omega is 30 years old. I like older watches (including Omegas). I don’t like the newer styles of Omega, generally, and I certainly don’t like the newer styles enough to go out and spend thousands of dollars on one. I have almost as many Rolex watches as I have Omegas. Too many watches, and not enough money for every one that might tempt me. Call it shallow pockets.

I have added 4 more Omegas for Mrs. C. Again, being in the right place at the right time. I will tell you that many of the watches (including Omegas) that I have acquired might be in such condition as to be turned down by most collectors. I do all my own work, so that makes a difference. And I enjoy having a bit of sweat equity in the watches in my collection.

Edited Mar 4, 2019
  19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 4, 2019

Its an extremely broad church that lets people in even at the $200 price point and can keep them entertained up to the $200k+ price point with a variety for everyone. In fact I genuinely don't think there is any other major Swiss brand that has as many flavours, types, varieties and model lines as Omega and nearly all have their own little group of fans, from Titanes, to Tuning forks, to SMPPs, to Speedmaster Reduced, to Ploprofs to Bond Seamaster Pros to Cosmics there's something for everyone.

flw, KingCrouchy, Yukatan and 4 others like this.
  20. steelfish Mar 5, 2019

It's pretty simple for me. Great choice of pieces, great range in price and unpretentious owner/AD network. No fictitious wait lists!!!

But by far and away the best thing is the image. Low key.

flw, Yukatan, chilly41 and 2 others like this.