Forums Latest Members

Why Omega does not make the right watch for me...

1. MyLifeUncut Jul 31, 2015

Hi everybody,

first of all, let me introduce myself (this is my first post): My name is Andreas and I live in Munich, Germany (please bear with me, as English is not my native language). I do not currently own any Omega watches but would like to do so very much -- if only Omega made the right watch for me...

The objective of this post is maybe to get some buying advice but also (first and foremost) to see if anyone can relate to the frustration I am experiencing on my purchase journey. I am sure that many watch enthusiasts can relate to this kind of problem, forums like this are a little bit like self help groups after all... ;)

The first watch I took into consideration was the Speedmaster Chronograph (44,25mm) in steel. I tried it on 3 or 4 times and came really close to buying it -- but the matte bezel was always putting me off. Does anyone know what this bezel is made of? Ceramic, as someone claimed on another forum? Even if it is some high-end material, to my eye it just looks a little cheaper than it should. The glossy bezel of the original Speedmaster is so much nicer... Anybody else feel that way?

Now, the titanium version of the Speedmaster is a totally different story! I love the shiny bezel, the applied indices on the watch's face and the polished hands. This adds just the little bling that the steel version is missing. But I don't like blue and I don't like Titanium. Bummer.

Next, I put my eye on the black version of the Planet Ocean GMT. Looking at pictures on the internet, I was convinced that this would be the perfect watch for me -- in real life, not so much. First, there's almost too much bling here! Wow! But what's putting me off are the proportions. On the wrist it just always looks to high for its diameter (43,5mm) or to small for its thickness (17,5). No go.

Next candidate: Planet Ocean big size. It sits perfectly on my wrist with its diameter of 45,5 mm and a thickness of 15,5 mm. But here it is again: A matte grey bezel ist the only option for the steel version, if you want to have a shiny bezel, you have to buy the liquid metal titanium version which, again, is available only in blue.

I guess I would buy either the Speedmaster (44,25) or the Planet Ocean (45,5) in a heartbeat, if it were available in a steel version with black face but with the nicer finish of the titanium versions. Is it just me? Or does anyone else feel, that there is something missing in the Omega lineup (as extensive as it may be)?

OK, to be honest, I don't really expect anyone to "solve" this problem... Maybe I will just wait and see... I am sure, at some point in the future, Omega will make the perfect watch for me. Sadly, right now, it isn't there.... :(

2. base615 Jul 31, 2015

Pretty simple solution - Go for another brand which does offer something you like.

Alternatively, go vintage. I understand the frustration, most of the modern Omega watches are no good for me either.

blubarb likes this.
  3. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jul 31, 2015

Andreas, welcome to the forum. I really can't add much to what base615 said, but I do want to add that your English is excellent. I wish I could write as well in a 2nd language. Good luck in your search for the perfect (or as close as possible) watch.

blubarb likes this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 31, 2015

What do you own and wear at the moment? Give us a idea of what you do like.

Everyone has brands that don't do it for them, even styles in brands. I just bought a Certina dive watch because I am not a fan of modern seamasters.

blubarb likes this.
  5. Canuck Jul 31, 2015

My problem is the reverse of yours! There are so many Omegas that appeal to me that, were I actually in the market for a watch right now, I would have difficulty choosing from amongst the many that I like. I have been a Rolex fan for decades (I own 9 of them). I was at a Rolex dealer last week, and the changes in their models are such that the line looks foreign to me. Didn't see one I liked. I suggest you continue to haunt your local Omega boutique, or a major Omega AD until you find one that speaks to you. And don't completely disregard the many other brands that are likely available to you. One thing that astonishes me since I discovered this message board is the overwhelming number of watches (Omega and others) that appear to be (or are actually) brand new that are offered for sale! Are these hastily purchased watches that owners tire of quickly? Grey market ones flipped at a profit? Inherited watches that are being disposed of? Gifts to an unappreciative recipient? Economic circumstances necessitate liquidating the watch? Make the right choice and you won't find yourself inclined to flip it later on!

blubarb likes this.
  6. blubarb Jul 31, 2015

Hi Andreas and welcome to the forum. I am afraid I can't share your frustration in this but it is, after all, about personal aesthetic choices. Why Not look at the Rolex 114060 which has a great glossy ceramic bezel you might like or The GMT (aka the Batman)? I wouldn't get frustrated, just accept that Omegas might not be your thing and keep screening brands until eventually something sings to you. Best of luck in the search. I think the hunt is a huge part of the enjoyment of this craziness.

7. ChrisN Jul 31, 2015

Hi Andreas

As the guys say, you could look at another make or go vintage. As you're interested in a new watch how about the new SM300 or one of these "recreation" 60s SM300. Most people who have them are very happy as am I with my date model.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/watchco-seamaster-300.27315/

By the way, your English is excellent.:thumbsup:

Regards, Chris

blubarb likes this.
  8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 31, 2015

I share a similar opinion. There is nothing in the current Omega line-up that I can embrace. So vintage Omega and new (insert other brand name(s) here) are on my shopping list.
    My person "new watch" brand is Rolex, specifically the Daytona steel black dial, Explorer II black dial, or Sub no-date. I think I'd find something among IWC's offerings too but haven't been very serious about finding a new watch.
    Don't try to force a new Omega into the collection. Broaden your search, and take time to feel them out. Don't buy the first one that you think is perfect! Give it time to be certain. If it's a current offering you should be able to find it weeks/months after you decide you are certain.

blubarb likes this.
  9. MyLifeUncut Jul 31, 2015

Thanks for your advice, I think some clarifications are in order…

I currently own only one halfway decent watch, which is a Baume & Mercier with a quartz movement. It was a gift from my parents to my 18th birthday and I have worn it every day for the last 23 years.

For my dressier needs I may keep the Baume & Mercier (it is quite small and unobtrusive and can be worn with a suit) or look for a nice, clean dress watch later on (Jaeger Le Coultre would be at the top of the list for now, but we will see what the future brings…)

I have little need for a dress watch as I don’t wear suit and tie to work (I am a physician), what I need for daily wear is a sports watch that fits my clothing style (fashionably casual). This is what I am looking for now. A steel bracelet and a good (preferably in-house) movement are must-haves. A watch that can be taken for a swim and has a date would be nice. I would like to have a chronometer or GMT complication but this is no requirement.

I am not focused at Omega at all (although I like the brand), it’s rather that after screening and trying on many watches, I consistently like the Omegas the most.

I don’t like the “boxy” look, broad shoulders and the relatively small size of the current Rolex Subs, SDs and GMTs. I don’t like the bezel of the Explorer II. I don’t like the flimsy bracelets and clasps of older Rolex models.

For a short while I fell in love with two IWC Flieger Chronos (Ref 3777 and Ref 3878). But the former does not have an in-house movement and the latter is really quite expensive. Aesthetically, I am not a fan of the IWC steel bracelets either, although I have to admit that they are very nicely made.

Panerai just doesn’t appeal to me at all. Same for Breitling, with the possible exception of the Transocean. Then again, the Transocean feels to vintage and too dressy.

I also considered a Chopard Pro One, a Grand Seike SBGE001, a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, Zenith Chronos and Tag Heuer — but somehow they also didn’t sing to me…

Well, in the end I will go with the Speedmaster 9300, I guess. I think it’s a really good reissue of a classic and I also have some connection to the Moonwatch: My father was an engineer at the time of the Apollo missions and helped build a rocket that was the predecessor of the European Ariane rocket. As a boy I must have listened 100 times to an original vinyl recording of the moonlanding, which was autographed by Neil Armstrong himself when my father met him at his work. So, I guess it is a great choice for the first really expensive watch that I am buying for myself. Maybe the love will grow, even if it bugs me that this watch could have been even nicer and is just not “perfect” in my eyes…

(BTW: Does anyone know for sure wether the Bezel is ceramic?)

10. blubarb Jul 31, 2015

Speaking of singing, have you checked out the Meistersinger range. Something a bit different.

11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 31, 2015

You may still find some of the PO with the 2500 movement that don't have the ceramic bezels and arw a little thinner. Look around, there are any NOS on these models.

12. ulackfocus Jul 31, 2015

Omega makes more than just Planet Ocean and Speedmaster models - although looking at watch forums you'd never know it until a vintage piece popped up.

I don't like the way Speedmasters or POs sit on my wrist so my solution was to buy a 38.5 mm Aqua Terra Skyfall. Shazam!!!! Can't ask for a better blue dial from any brand and it fits like it was custom made for me.

13. Davidt Jul 31, 2015

image.jpg

Sporty, classic, ceramic bezel.

What's not to like?!

blubarb, italy1861 and ChrisN like this.
  14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 31, 2015

+1 I had 6 omegas and sold all except for the Aqua Terra and the PO LMLE and of those the AT wins for me. Railmaster being another great option although I have the Explorer 1 to cover that style

15. ConElPueblo Jul 31, 2015

...I guess he should have a look at the POLMLE? I only I knew of someone who owned one...

Nobel Prize likes this.
  16. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 31, 2015

Have a look, by all means...:) Bezel is ceramic though.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  17. ConElPueblo Jul 31, 2015

But shiny ;)

Nobel Prize likes this.
  18. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 31, 2015

It seems that you are looking for a big watch. I don't think that they currently make a dive watch but maybe some of the Zenith El Primero chronographs might appeal to you.

An idea of your budget might help to inform suggestions.

19. speedbird Aug 1, 2015

Few luxury watch manufactures have a catalog as extensive as Omega. You might want to sit down at an AD and browse the whole thing

20. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 1, 2015

Fretworker and Nobel Prize like this.