Forums Latest Members

Why no love for Lucien Piccard?

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 18, 2015

Just kidding. :D

LouS, khmt2, ulackfocus and 3 others like this.
  2. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 18, 2015

I know this is in jest, but any Lucien Piccard reference automatically elicits a Jean-Luc Picard face-palm.
    ::facepalm1::

3. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Dec 18, 2015

Obviously my Dad loved his Lucien Piccard. Maybe it was just a sales pitch but I grew up understanding that they were a very good dress piece.

janice&fred and MMMD like this.
  4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 18, 2015

Wondered about these things.
    [​IMG]

Picked up this Lucien Piccard because it featured 14 kt white gold case and I was intrigued by the while gold. Besides, it was priced right, almost as if the seller assumed it was plated or even stainless. Never knew a thing about the brand except that it fell on hard times in recent years. This one has a decent automatic movement but who knows its origin. That's what I get for purchasing it from an exhibitor at a gun show.

Keeps time perfectly for the day I wear it, about once every few months.

Y'all can all face-palm now.

5. Rman Dec 18, 2015

Any relation? Never been able to find much info on this one...

IMG_2030.jpg

Darlinboy likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Dec 18, 2015

What? Are we gonna wonder why nobody loves Caravelle as much as Bulova next?

7. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 19, 2015

I apologize. As is the case with most prejudices, mine was born of ignorance. All I know of this brand is what I see on Overstock.com and WoW TV.

http://www.overstock.com/#/Jewelry-Watches/Watches/Lucien-Piccard,/brand,/292/dept.html

http://www.worldofwatches.com/wowtv

Perhaps I face-palmed prematurely. By all means, let's see your pre-Home-Shopping-Network Lucien Piccards. There is clearly a history here that is not coming across on late-night television.

argonbeam and MikiJ like this.
  8. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 19, 2015

Bulova?! Oh now you've done it.
    Release the Marine Stars!

9. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Dec 19, 2015

No need to apologize. After my son-in-law realized I was into watches he showed me his dress watch.
    You got it - a SS, back faced modern Lucien straight from the Bay ::facepalm2:: Oh these "kids" :unsure:

Dad's "one of" Lucien was really stunning. It was a manual winder and kept really good time. In fact one year for his birthday I sent his watches, all 6 of them, for service and I treated them all to new shoes. I wish I had a picture of the smile on his face when I gave them to him. Better yet: I wish I had the watch :(

Edited Dec 19, 2015
    noelekal, argonbeam and MMMD like this.
  10. argonbeam May 9, 2016

Old post, but I am new to the forum, mostly for the Longines part, but have a LP from from the 60's as well. Nice of you to do that for your dad. I did the same for my father-in-law with two of his old Eternas. He was quite pleased and gave me one of them. I like some of the old Lucien Piccard pieces. My watchmaker says that the older ones have quality movements for the most part. The newer ones are junk, but just one of the many instances of an old company going bankrupt and a new company buying the name to slap on crappy watches and obtain instant "history". I don't think modern Longines are crappy at all, but prefer the pre-ETA/Swatch ones for sure. I bought the following watch for my wife because she liked it so much. She doesn't even mind winding it when she does wear it, which actually says a lot because she turned down a Tank Louis and Jeager Reverso Duetto because the idea of having to wind a watch before wearing it was annoying to her. This watch was a lot cheaper at a "Gem Faire" than the other two I mentioned, so a win all around I guess. 14K case, manual wind. Playing around with strap options right now (17 mm lugs - none of my collection of 16 or 18's work), so naked.

lucienpiccard.jpg