Forums Latest Members
  1. LBH23 Sep 5, 2018

I just don't get it. So many on the OF (and other boards) seem so bothered with limited edition pieces. For the most part, they are pretty cool and usually quite the niche product. If you don't like it, don't buy it. There are many Speedy LEs that I did not like...saw them, read about them, passed on them. There are others that I absolutely loved, and thus I bought them. Most of the LE's have held their respective values or at least they have remained close to MSRP on the secondary market - and that is rare indeed for an Omega in this day and age.The Snoopy versions, the CKs, the Tintin, the Apollos, etc. While most other Omegas tank in secondary market value, the LEs (even though there are many of them) seem to do well. So why the hate?

Why the anger and hostility as opposed to merely passing on the particular LE. The LEs sell quite well, keep collectors coming back for more and they allow for an an opportunity to have a piece that is different. At least with the Speedy LEs, they are actually limited, whether it be 5007 or 2012 or 500; that is all that is made. With the Rolex BLNR, it is limited only in the sense that it is not called limited, but when you finally get one, you will have joined the esteemed ranks of tens of thousands of others with the same piece. It seems the anger is more towards the fact that pieces are called LEs - I guess if Omega simply released a watch and didn't call it a LE (even if it were), the reaction might be different? One of the things I like about Omega is that they take chances and they have many different pieces for different types of collectors.

The LEs are just cool. They don't hurt brand exclusivity. They don't hurt the rare Ed White you may already have. They don't hurt resale value of pieces perhaps already in your collection. And they sell out very quickly.

Yes, I understand there are a lot of limited edition pieces. But so what? Most will do well, some will fail. Regardless of what happens, you will have an opportunity to purchase a watch that very few others will have. That is fun.

At the end of the day, the LEs are just fun. And isn't that what collecting watches is all about? The hobby should be fun. The new Hodinkee LE Speedy is fantastic....to me. Hodinkee is a great blog/site/publication and their LEs have done VERY well. A whopping (sarcasm) 500 pieces were sold and many on here are crying foul because of another LE. Who cares? One of the great things about the Speedmaster is the numerous variants over the years; the excitement of the different pieces in the Moonwatch Only book. That is why I collect Speedies and not Subs - I find comparing one red line against two red lines quite boring. I find the different Speedies fun.

At the end of the day, this is a hobby to me and Speedies are my love. I do this for fun. And the LEs are fun. They make me happy...and sometimes they make me reach for my wallet. What is so wrong with this?

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 5, 2018

You've answered your own question! We're angry that you're happy. :D

Caesar95, Paedipod, amiga500 and 20 others like this.
  3. pianomankd Sep 5, 2018

4. abrod520 Sep 5, 2018

LEs are fun when they're actually limited. 5 different LEs a year isn't very limited and starts to make this hobby feel like a joke

Fusion, c5driver, igloe and 14 others like this.
  5. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Sep 5, 2018

(LE)^10

6. Riviera Paradise Sep 5, 2018

I think some of the LE hate is just collectors having to adjust to Omega's new LE policy. Many got used to thinking Speedy LE's were two per year releases at most and that they were investment pieces. Omega now has clearly positioned its focus on expanding its client base and reaching out to new customers. Nothing like creating a stream of new LEs to generate media visibility and bring new punters on board who missed out on the previous LE release. Of course excessive exposure can generate attention fatigue, but releasing a LE per quarter would probably work out OK.

I think this accelerated Speedy LE release cycle has generated angst for some LE collectors who worry whether their timepieces will continue to hold / increase in value over time. Others could just be annoyed with the rate of LE releases/per year and might be getting bored with what are essentially multiple dial variations of the same core watch design, all running on the same trusted 1861 calibre.

Of all the Speedy releases of 2018, I still think the Apollo 8 DSOTM was the most interesting with its skeleton moon textured caliber finishing, even if it was not the most aesthetically pleasing. And it was not a LE.

I imagine that next year we will have Speedy LE deluge with the Apollo 11 celebrations and we will hark back to the good ol' days of 2018. I predict that a very similar thread to this one will be posted Q3 2019.:whistling:

7. jmazpiazu Sep 5, 2018

+1

8. guaranteed.rohu Sep 5, 2018

I think it's mostly annoying for people when it feels like brands are trying to take the piss and milk out money.

When Lange make a limited edition saxonia calendar of 25 pieces only, I think people think 'fair enough'

9. jjjones Sep 5, 2018

To be honest, i feel it cheapens the Speedmaster name.

10. ioaniro Sep 5, 2018

I don't mind the endless LEs but what I don't get is why they don't use some of the things tested in LEs in New models. Like the dial on the Apollo 11 45th LE or the seamaster 1948. The seamaster 1948 should become a normal edition and make the LE to have something special to that edition.

11. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 5, 2018

I love good LEs. I hate shit LEs.

Did I miss the point?

12. LBH23 Sep 5, 2018

Why is it so aggravating to people that brands are trying to make money? Is that not the goal of my corporate entities. I guess I would be angry and think these were no fun if they were releasing LEs that did not sell out. The Zenith Range Rover LE for example or the Tag Heuer Manchester United dial, etc. If Omega was releasing too many LEs which the collectors did not enjoy, they would be relegated to the virtual shelves of the internet grey market sellers. But the reverse has been true over the past few years, the LEs have sold like hot cakes and they have held their value and many remind tough to source.

I don't see why several limited editions make collecting a joke. I don't completely disagree (as I do believe they are close to the edge of one too many), but merely suggesting that maybe there is another way to look at it. Rather than introducing sleep inducing pieces that thousands of others will have, they introduce some watches that not everyone will love and that will be limited in the amount produced. That creates some demand for the piece and it prevents the horrific gray market problem that Omega has had recently with some of the dreck they have produced. Personally, I am far less offended my multiple limited edition watches that sell out and hold their secondary market values as opposed to the watches like the Globemaster GMT with the script writing that was universally panned, probably made in the tens of thousands and will certainly be had for .40 cents on the dollar next year at (insert your preferred gray-market seller here).

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  13. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Sep 5, 2018

OP is right on cue with yet another LE Speedy released today:
    Omega Speedmaster Hodinkee 10th Anniversary Limited Edition

14. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 5, 2018

Love those LEs - they suck out at least some of the money that might otherwise be chasing stuff I want.

Keep 'em coming! :thumbsup:

15. ClarendonVintage Sep 5, 2018

You don't see the pure money making imperative here?

Lode_Runner likes this.
  16. sgrossma Sep 5, 2018

Everyone stop complaining!

Steve88M3 likes this.
  17. LBH23 Sep 5, 2018

Of course I see the money making imperative. Every watch produced, whether from Omega, Rolex, Patek or Shinola is for the sole purpose of making money. Nothing more. Omega is an entity which is part of a conglomerate with shareholders, they sell things to make money. Patek is a private company owned by the Stern family, they sell things to make the Stern family more money. I own a business, I sell my time to make more money. Omega makes watches - most I ignore, some I buy. I fail to see the issue with this concept.

18. imranbecks Sep 5, 2018

To me, overdoing it with the limited editions only ruins the novelty of the Speedmaster and at the same time, its ruining the brand. How many limited edition variant is that now for the Speedy? I've pretty much lost count. It's pretty ridiculous when you think about it.

Right now, it seems "limited edition" is synonymous with Omega.

Caesar95 and larryganz like this.
  19. Steve88M3 Sep 5, 2018

Limited Editions are fine.

Re-releases of LEs are irritating...says the 3570.40 owner...

20. mancio Sep 6, 2018

Company like Omega are here for sell watches and making money, they have always been here for that.
    Yes bunch on LE are annoying but as long as people buy it they are right to do so.

Of course if wuold be better if they don't and it wuold be better having only something more interesting instead, but i gues we can't have both.....