Forums Latest Members
  1. epl108 Jan 20, 2014

Working on honing my skills (and eyes) to pick out issues with watches, and just searching through various watches for sale on different forums to get a better idea on pricing and whatnot. Came across this 321 Speedy and am curious why it's not selling - http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=332795 . The hands look very new to me, though the seller claims original - what else about this watch is making it stick around on the sale thread at what seems a very fair price for a pre moon speedy, with the dot over 90 bezel in working condition?

Really enjoying learning for all of you and I thank you in advance for any information/education you can provide!

Evan

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 20, 2014

Hands are not only new, they're incorrect for a Speedmaster Pro, even a modern one, no bracelet, quite a lot of polishing, replaced crown

epl108 likes this.
  3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 21, 2014

agree.

wrong new hands, case is damaged post previous polish.

Dial doesn't grab me. Plots look a little lumpy......

but these are details. The watch overall is not attractive.

this is exactly the kind of speedmaster I get offered by Rolex enthusiasts.

For some reason they often choose speedmasters I don't like.

4. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 21, 2014

I was watching this one, too. The hands were obviously wrong but I didn't notice case damage (still can't really see any beyond some nicks and usual wear). Yeah no bracelet but it would be over $4k if it had the right one...
    Thick plots? I don't even know what that means...re-lumed? Absorbed water and became like a sponge?
    And the crown! Whaddya do, count facets? Something about the size relative to the guards?
    Over-polished? Here I was thinking it was just a clean example!
    I was hoping to sell my Rolex DJ and Speedy 125 Anniversary so I could get that one, but with all the nuances I'm about to swear off Speedmasters!
    And teasing me it's all in "the book" that has been delayed for months isn't helping the cause!
    What torture...
    Thank you guys for setting it straight. At least I have a couple correct examples that folks seem to like!

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2014

Crown wise its the Omega logo, it should have the same style Omega symbol as the dial (the vintage stylised Omega) not the modern (and IMO far less dramatic and interesting) Omega logo, if you look at the forum index you'll see the icon for modern and vintage Omega next to eachother, it really stands out when the watch has two different logos on it.

Hands may sound simple but getting a good set of tritium hands isn't that cheap, and taking a set of luminova ones, and de-luminova-ing and going over them with a darker shade of white to make them look correct costs money.

The case they've tried to make look original by rebrushing the sides but the grain is wrong, the edges are wonky, and remnants of scratches and dents past are still visible in the finish. It has this look of a watch that's been polished up for sale.

For 3K you can get a really nice transitional 861 in excellent shape which I'd take over a messed with 321 (or I'd save the extra money and buy a better 321).

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2014

Crystal doesn't appear to have the Omega symbol in it either

7. mojothewolf Jan 21, 2014

Great thread, very informative to noobs like me, Someone mentioned a speedy book?

8. mojothewolf Jan 21, 2014

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the description with it.....

"Up for sale is my gorgeous vintage Omega Speedmaster cal. 321. Watch is in excellent condition as seen in the pictures. It has been completely restored at some point earlier and been in my collection the last couple of years. Serial number is 17* which dates this speedmaster movement to approx. 1959-60. Watch is keeping good time and all functions are working as they should. Sold as is.

Watch is supplied with a sapphire crystal see thru caseback and with a solid unused caseback with an Omega sticker. Strap is the generic black perforated leather strap seen in most of the pics (not the one with white stitches).

Payment preferred thru bank wire. Shipping preferred thru Fedex, but other options might be available based on your location.

Please contact me if you would need more information. Thank you"

This should provide more fuel to the fire......

9. mojothewolf Jan 21, 2014

Not a good advert for omega restorations IMHO.

10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 21, 2014

I am sorry but that is an absurd excuse for a Speedmaster. Unless built up for fun. In which case I like it, but at parts value, and it should be fully declared as such by any seller.

So the movement is probably from an Seamaster, the case, dial and hands are modern service replacements.

The case looks like a 145.0012 (note the double "00") which is a service case, available today.

Interesting the pushers look short, like 105.012 pushers......but that doesn't matter.

This is an assembled watch. Ideal for a beater. It has very little value to a collector, other than the $1000-1500 the 17m serial movement is worth. This 17m is more at home in a 2998.

I have no need of the case at all.

11. mojothewolf Jan 21, 2014

so a frankenspeedy.....:eek: . i was drawn to the movement number, but nothing else seemed to match mine, the strap is a 20mm not 19mm to fit correct case lug size for movement, etc etc ... so all in all a very expensive project, or a watch to do the garden...;)

12. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 21, 2014

Why do u say the movement is from a seamaster Spacefruit ?

13. pascs Jan 21, 2014

A slightly different question, what are the differences between the 145.012 and 145.022 new service cases?

14. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 26, 2014

Well obviously I dont know for sure, but it is the cheapest source of a 321 movement to put into those parts. Because ALL the parts are new, not one vestige of a vintage speedmaster remains, I find it improbable that the movement came from a speedmaster.

Possible, but improbable.

15. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jan 26, 2014

Dammit.... its confusing enough to keep me from buying a speedmaster (my Holy Grail watch), just because its seems difficult to get a clean original piece without visiting the dealer and mortgaging the house to buy one.

And then it would be a new/modern one..... and so pointless to me.

There isn't a hole deep enough to toss in the buggers who fake and frankenwatch this stuff.

16. ulackfocus Jan 26, 2014

The more $$$ involved, the more shenanigans you'll put up with.

persco likes this.
  17. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jan 26, 2014

So what you're saying is its only safe to collect Timex Marlins.......

yuck!

CdnWatchDoc and ron n like this.
  18. Unwound Jan 27, 2014

Fritz,

That watch was purchased by a knowledgeable speedy guy and is now back on the market, he new the merits of the piece, instead of focusing on what it is not.

These things are old and No one figured they would still be around and worth what they are so many years ago. Who knows what they have been subjected to. Like when a Champ was worth a couple of grand 30years ago. Who thought some would still be flying today?

Find a speedy you like and become its curator.

19. Pasbru Jan 27, 2014

Not sure about the logo on the crown opinion....I have some proof showing it can be a different crown for the 145.012 67 model. I have a photo of a NOS one, but no one has confirmed a teeth count, but the logo on it appears to be different then what's on the dial...chime in and I can look for the NOS photo of a 67 crown. Cheers

20. Pasbru Jan 27, 2014