Forums Latest Members

why is the Ceragold so expensive??

1. LuminousMaximus Jul 23, 2013

I really like the Ceragold Planet Ocean 600m in 42mm but they want like $33K! I like the 85xx or 93xx series movements because from my reading it's supposed to be a bit better.

I don't understand how a regular 600m goes for like $8200 and then the CeraGold watch which only has 157grams of gold 157/31.1 = 5 oz. of Gold at a price of even a high price of, $1500 per oz. = $7500 + 8200 = $15700 is a far piece away from $33K

2. ulackfocus Jul 23, 2013

Don't go by the value of metal in calculating the cost of a watch. Veblen goods are priced based on perception of value more than actual value.

Fritz likes this.
  3. LuminousMaximus Jul 23, 2013

thanks ulackfocus, I finally got it...lol Everyone else has been trying to defend the cost and manufacture reasons why like for example, the craftsmanship, or the process by which they make it...

WEll, It's not craftsmanship if the steel 600m has the same movement as the ceragold...

Because they can, and that it is based on perception of value...

I'd like to see how many of the Ceragold's sell before I buy one though...

Fritz likes this.
  4. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jul 23, 2013

No one is going to tell you material cost... it is an adjusted manufacturer process and you pay for having it done in all gold. Clothing costs like x10 or more yet you still buy it. I don't get the analogy...

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 23, 2013

not to mention the high upfront investment, R&D, etc cost that needs to be recouped.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 24, 2013

Its the same for just about all watch brands, the most scary is the platinum Rolex Daytona, look up the MSRP of that thing over the stainless version and be prepared to be shocked.

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 24, 2013

And marketing costs which many times is higher than the cost of R&D (it certainly is for pharmaceutical companies).

8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 24, 2013

Yes, all those pens with drug names on them!

noelekal likes this.
  9. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 24, 2013

At the end of the day, if you want it and can afford it, you will buy it. Mr Swatch will only lose sleep if he is left with a big stock of un-sold Ceragolds.

10. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jul 24, 2013

They aren't too worried about the gold cases if overstocked. Just melt them down ;p

watchknut likes this.
  11. LuminousMaximus Jul 24, 2013

I'm not sure but I think Omega is trying to compete with the Rolex solid GOld and have priced theirs at the same price point when in fact the CeraGold Planet Ocean has about 25% less GOld than the Rolex.

I'm not sure if it is correct but the guy at the Omega, "Boutique" said the CeraGold 600m had 157Grams of Gold. ($33,000) So I called the Rolex and asked about the gold GMT and the Sub. (33,000)The guy told me after he converted into grams, it was app. 215 Grams of Gold.

I truly feel that the CeraGold should be priced 25 to 35% less than the Rolex.

The Rolex GMT is about 1 oz shy of 1/2 a pound watch...!

I mean the Rose gold Daytona is only $26,000 and more comparable to the CeraGOld 600m... right?

ceragold.jpg gold gmt.png rose daytona.jpg
  12. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 25, 2013

firstly, the idea of pricing purely on gold weight has already been rejected.
    does the rolex use a blended gold and ceramic techology? if not, it is a fundamentally different product.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  13. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jul 25, 2013

No, Rolex doesn't. I think the only other company who has a similar gold processing is Hublot.

14. ulackfocus Jul 25, 2013

Rolex uses platinum in their rose gold formulation. It helps prevent tarnishing.

15. Superdoc Jul 25, 2013

ahh...the 'everose' - a "splash of platinum"...one has to wonder how much of a splash (eye dropper into a giant vat?)...

this begs the comparison with 'Sedna' which adds paladium.....may make more scientific sense..but it is still a step down from platinum..
    I'm happy enough with 'red gold' as is....

But Dennis makes an excellent point about Veblan economics....Omega's strategy, and boutique model is an obvious effort to establish Omega as a Veblan item....it will take a decade or more to play out, but I really hope that they can do so....

for the uninformed...the hallmark of Veblen economics is that something is desired because it is expensive...
    the people buying the ceragold will be the ones who go to a restaurant and ask for 'the most expensive champagne' on the menu...without regard to whether or not it has qualities they might enjoy....

as long as Omega doesn't allow grey market to seel their products at deep discounts, they will hold up as Veblen items...

some companies have abandoned the goal of veblen status and provided more affordable options going after volume sales...

I am fascinated by the psychology of it, and am a victim even though I have full insight.....

16. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jul 25, 2013

I forgot hublot called their stuff like hublolium or something dumb

watchknut likes this.
  17. ulackfocus Jul 25, 2013

Magic Gold. :rolleyes:

18. Superdoc Jul 25, 2013

.....Hublonimum?.....this changes everything....someone please direct me to the Hublotforums....

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  19. ulackfocus Jul 25, 2013

No, seriously - they call it Magic Gold. Hublonium would have been less cheesy.

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 26, 2013

Hublot....funny brand, and was run by a genius. I've been at a dinner with J. C. Biver and heard him speak, and he truly is a great speaker, and his enthusiasm is infectious. I've never heard the word "Fusion!" used so many times in one night. He's so good you almost start to believe it....almost...

J. C. Biver giving us the "Fusion!" sermon...

[​IMG]

And then some nice stinky melted cheese to eat...

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al