Forums Latest Members
  1. GadgetGuy88 Jan 31, 2020

I have to say that it's been a blast the last few years building up and learning about Omega watches. My focus is on the Speedy Pros, but I enjoy seeing and learning about the others, too. Folks complain about all of the LEs, but they are fun to consider and wrap your head around, much less monotonous than the annual Rolex offering. This forum also has real watchmakers and real experts and that's also cool.

It's also great that Omega watches are actually available to purchase and to order. It's also great that if you go through the secondary market, there's a wide range of choices that cost less than at an AD or the OB (like the Apollo 8). So, you don't have to always worry about missing an opportunity to get a cool piece.

Basically, it's the exact opposite of Rolex or Patek (where you have to either pay more and go grey or have to buy a lot of watches to get the one you really want). And it's tiring to see the upper 0.1% showing their Richard Mille watches and multiple Nautiluses and GT3 RSs, etc. I know, I know...we all love watches, but it starts to turn into a way of basically boasting about having wads of cash [I wish I had wads of cash...sigh].

I'm lucky to have an OB nearby. For the special edition watches where no discount is to be had, it's a really enjoyable experience. I like those folks a lot.

Lastly, it's fun to make friends with folks who love watches, as most of the folks I know don't appreciate the hobby. Even the ones who somehow think that the Tin Tin is nice looking are somehow enjoyable to hang out with, too. IMG_4899.jpg

nickgr, omegasaso12, kov and 27 others like this.
  2. Michael C Jan 31, 2020

I completely agree. I love my Omegas, and will admit to having a 2000 16610 that I like as well. But, the conversation here on OF is the best in any watch forum that I visit. The RF is a lot of complaining about not getting watches, or other posts that are not thought provoking in any way. I too love some of the LE Omegas and wear this One regularly.

3FFA5365-3E69-49CF-A2A8-CAC44F71932B.jpeg

bama2141, Katana, lindo and 3 others like this.
  3. OMEGuy Jan 31, 2020

If you were a new member, I'd say this is the best introduction thread I've ever seen... Well, no worries, then I will take it as one of the wisest quick summaries I ever read... :)

It's a beautiful Speedy you have there. Enjoy it!

Engee and GadgetGuy88 like this.
  4. Capt Cave Man Jan 31, 2020

Being somewhat new to OF myself and extremely new to the fascination of watches with only a small number of pieces in my collection, I'm really enjoying the community but somewhat intimidated by the wealth of knowledge in vintage and modern alike.

I've always hankered for a 'nice' watch and over the past xx years was always drawn to Brietling although my first purchase was an Omega for my wife. last year she bought me my first, a Brietling Transocean which has set off my fascination, or what could that be considered an expensive chronovirus ::facepalm2::

Since, I've made two further purchases, both Omega. A vintage Constellation and one modern Speedmaster Professional A11 and couldn't be happier.

Why the steer to Omega though? well I knew about the connection with the Bond franchise but the Olympics and NASA, Gemini and Apollo missions - wow there's quite a bit of history to the brand and the history also drew me with the models from the 50s & 60s. I also agree, compared to the likes of the unobtaniums mentioned by @Jakemeister1000 Omega is towards the higher ranking brands but also more accessible, in my opinion/limited experience at least.

So why do I stay? the banter, yes but as everyone also advises, research, research, research... ::book:: the input you all make to the forum... hats off, you really have a thoughtful yet simple forum with so much information on pieces I never knew existed which is greatly appreciated, thank-you.

I only hope I will be able to provide a little knowledge towards the collective in the future and hope to meet on the odd occasion.

Apologies for the lack of pics :(

GadgetGuy88 likes this.
  5. Katana Jan 31, 2020

I’m just a little over a year into having a real interest in watches (though I always had and relied on a watch growing up), but like the OP I really appreciate the vast amount of knowledge shared in OF and the willingness of many members to help with and entertain questions that must get very repetitive.

I must say I got into Omega quite haphazardly. I found myself in a position to get a quality watch and looked through the Omega catalog, found the silver opaline dial SS Globemaster and immediately decided on it. After reading a bit on it, everything sounding good, I pulled the trigger the next day. I really didn’t know much about the heritage of Omega or other brands (except for Rolex and Seiko), which everyone knows), I just saw what looked good to me and based my decision on that. Shortly after getting the watch I started to get really into reading about Omega watches in forums and articles, listening to podcasts, reading blogs etc. then I started to realize the vast world of watches and all these brands I wasn’t aware of, and suddenly had an “oh shit” moment, think I really didn’t do much research into just all the possibilities I could have weighed my impulsive decision against. I started looking at a ton of watches wondering if I had made the wrong decision (not because of loving the GM less, but just realizing so many models out there) and quite a few months later I arrived at the realization that even with all the offerings that were available to me I still would have chosen the Globemaster. I’ve also come to realize that I’m more drawn to Omega than probably any other brand due to the combination of quality, aesthetics, movement, lack of baggage compared to brands like Rolex (for better or worse).

A few pics under different light.

64C90B77-7051-4507-BA97-4909072793AB.jpeg 0A85A9D1-1A95-4C40-8EEC-A92E53E6F175.jpeg A731D91F-8FF8-490C-887C-0CAE3B0A6046.jpeg D898FC93-401A-4F00-9D10-DD9E1396281B.jpeg

Edited Jan 31, 2020
  6. RARJ Feb 10, 2020

I echo a lot of the sentiments above. I've pretty much abandoned other forums in favor of this one.

The diversity of knowledge is fantastic. I've owned Omega's now for about 17 years and feel that I have amassed a reasonably proficient level of knowledge across a few of their lines and am more than happy to answer questions where I can. On the flip side, reading a super in-depth review of the Speedy 9300 moonwatch on here cemented my desire to also add one to my collection and it was one of the best moves I've ever made. It's also allowed me to learn a ton about all sorts of facets of the brand and brand offerings I never knew. I'm beyond grateful for that!

I've greatly appreciated how welcoming, knowledgeable, and helpful this community is and am thrilled to be a part of it.

I've now moved almost entirely into a full Omega collection. I just can't be bothered with the hype or misconceptions with some other brands and frankly I find the value you get from an Omega is very tough to beat.

I'm quite certain there are many more models on my wish list and horizon and I can't wait to read reviews, write reviews and share them with everyone in the (hopefully) not too distant future!

GadgetGuy88 and DaeMa9 like this.
  7. Graemega Feb 11, 2020

What a cracker!

Katana likes this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 11, 2020

Best part of OF is it doesn’t have to be a Omega :thumbsup:

C03FC57E-7951-4626-89B9-263998A00C5C.jpeg 5A349195-4078-4A08-8AE5-927ABAFA0A28.jpeg FFBCC689-DB68-40CB-BC37-0315E1CF8FBE.jpeg
    123C97EE-3BC5-4A90-9598-CD05DB7BEEB0.jpeg
    100EACB5-C65C-4BAA-BC20-6DD8C637CE7E.jpeg
    39DF2298-EFAC-4E2E-82F2-6BF982305E4A.jpeg 2C51B866-43D4-4413-B490-1DB40ED12F05.jpeg

9. Katana Feb 11, 2020

Thank you!

10. RazorFrazer Feb 13, 2020

beautiful watch! which one is that ? is that the 1948 seamaster ?

GadgetGuy88 likes this.
  11. Risto Feb 13, 2020

Totally agree with the OP.
    This place is the best source and daily forum to visit. OF is my daily place to be.

Where I live people didn't have any watches, too poor for that (USSR times). So, there's no culture here.
    New rich buy new luxury watches.
    They don't understand vintage and they find them too small and worry what others think.

I enjoy the chase of old watches, Omegas included. They are best bang for the buck.
    What not to like about Omega Constellation or Seamaster or Speedmaster. The kick ass. The 35mm watch is beautiful.
    And the value you get from vintage watches! They often have that special feel, soul.
    Even if you have plenty of cash on the bank account, you still can't buy some models, because you can't find them. For example, my grail is Zenith A3818. Not easy to find. Or Omega ref 2872.

My kind of watches:

Screenshot 2020-02-13 16.21.38.png Screenshot 2020-02-13 16.17.46.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-13 16.19.12.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-13 16.40.55.png

GadgetGuy88 and Eve like this.