Forums Latest Members

Why do most Omega Speedmaster Reduced on Ebay come from Japan

1. JayVL11 Sep 19, 2016

Hello, I have been recently looking into maybe buying a Speedmaster Reduced off eBay and It seems like 85% of all of them are coming from Japan.....

Is that a red flag?

Thanks!

2. Just Livin Sep 19, 2016

Hey, did you hear about the great deal on that wonderful Vintage Speedmaster bought from Japan the other day?
    ..........................Me neither.................:(

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 19, 2016

Not a red flag. Just a lot sold there.

4. ulackfocus Sep 19, 2016

My theory? Key word: Reduced. Smaller wrist = smaller watch.

chronos, SpeedyPhill, Syrte and 3 others like this.
  5. Pvt-Public Sep 19, 2016

Could be as simple as there were lots more sold there then elsewhere. Or could be some Japanese "dealers" got a really good deal on a bunch of Korean copies. You decide, because I just don't know.

6. Ree Sep 19, 2016

I heard Omega is very popular in Japan. And as @ulackfocus said, considering the smaller wrists, maybe the reduced models must be selling well. Considering Omega has also released several Japan-only versions, I'd say the sales numbers might back up the claim.
    Also, I heard it is actually a crime in Japan to sell counterfeit goods (frankens might get away with it though?)
    Btw Panda ref 3510.52 is very nice.

7. nurseford25 Sep 19, 2016

I agree about the 3510.52. I always wanted one of these. But they are very few and far between.
    IMG_0693.JPG

Syrte, tapaptpat and Ree like this.
  8. gostang9 Sep 20, 2016

I have a colleague in Japan who wears a Speedy, but his is the more popular 42mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. triumphrox Oct 7, 2016

Nothing worse than a new guy with an opinion, but here goes.... I bought my Speedy Reduced from a Japanese seller. It was in great shape and had the box and all the paperwork. When I took it to my AD to be checked over I asked him why so many come from Japan. He said that in Japan, Omegas are frequently given as gifts for various events or accomplishments. Many owners know at some point they're going to trade in their current watch for something else so they take good care of them. And, as a result the secondary market has some exceptional used watches. Sounds plausible anyway.

My Speedy (1).jpg

Ree likes this.
  10. soybeanwatch Oct 8, 2016

It's crazy because I was wondering the same thing!!

11. ossfm Oct 8, 2016

To make a very broad generalization, many Japanese are smaller in stature. They also tend to like the smaller case sizes, unlike the rest of the world. Therefore the plethora of smaller watches from Japan.