Forums Latest Members
  1. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Nov 17, 2014

Not sure if you any of you share the same sentiment but i feel that Connies never gets the attention they deserve.
    Even in AJTT i feel Connie were short handed in terms coverage and area.
    In a way it really makes me feel envy for the amount of lime light being shed on Speedies, I understand they are tool watch and i get there is a lot of history behind Speedies but Connies are love of art and no other line has design elements like Connies.
    They deserve a front seat along with Speedies.

2. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Nov 17, 2014

Well if they still made connies the way they used to then I'm sure they would have a bigger presence but unfortunately the modern versions are horrible in comparison to days past. The Speedmaster fortunately has stayed mostly true to it's origins and has a fair amount larger following.

lando likes this.
  3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 17, 2014

The modern versions though have a strong following in Asia - these designs are based on satisfying the bread and butter consumer base.

Spacefruit and aga79 like this.
  4. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Nov 17, 2014

I totally agree with you current generation of connies are horrible and i dont understand why omega hasnt taken any corrective action.
    But even the antique connies doesnt get same level of appreciation as speedies

Edited Nov 17, 2014
  5. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Nov 17, 2014

The constellation line is big in Asia of course they have one of the most horrific resale value in the states. I don't think people track and collect connies post 60's like they do with Speedies among WIS crowd. I wonder where all those preowned connies go cause they sure do sell a lot of them.

6. aga79 Nov 17, 2014

coz no matter what, the sports Line up always have bigger selling point...IMO

Interstatetime likes this.
  7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 17, 2014

The same thing happened in Rolex and other brands,too.
    Vintage tool watches are more appreciated than their dressy (even the all gold) counter part. It reflected in their market price.

I could buy 70's day date Rolex in good condition with full president bracelet for USD 5-6K. A good condition submariner from similar era will fetch USD 10-15K. If it gets tropical then the price will double.

Exception probably on really high end watches like Patek and Vacheron, where complication is the ruler.

citizenrich likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Nov 17, 2014

SHUSH! :coffee:

There are already enough bidders to drive the prices up. We don't need anymore! ::rant:

cristos71 and sumerian like this.
  9. JM251 Nov 17, 2014

The speedmaster is iconic and essentially defines the brand along I'm sure with to a certain extent with Seamaster. Tool watches have a greater utility than dress hence the greater demand.

10. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Nov 17, 2014

My bad didnt think in that angle:oops:

11. mozambique Nov 30, 2014

Horrible in what way?

12. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Nov 30, 2014

Looks/Design

13. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Nov 30, 2014

Of course, design, like looks, is always in the eyes of the beholder. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, of which there are as many as people on the planet.

It's rather au courant for a lot of occidental collectors to knock the contemporary Constellation design in favour of earlier, more traditional case styles that are based on industrial 1950's designs, and I also feel that perhaps there's a measure of peer group pressure to it. Whereas, the 'griffes' and overall subtlety of the tonneau case styling (scalloped and brushed as it is) seems to appeal more these days to Oriental sensibilities.

If the Constellation was an independent brand, it would be the fourth largest selling Swiss watch in the world, according to Stephen Urquhart, so there is considerable support for the Constellation brand.

From my perspective, the latest iterations of the Constellation, such as the Double Eagle and the 123.20.38.22.02.001 Day/Date are stylish albeit a measure more formal. Funny but I hear it called "old fashioned" when in fact it is a much more contemporary styling than say the 1950s machine-age fascimiles, such as the De Ville, which are more popular in the west. Trends change and tastes are notoriously informed by culture and what's "In" at the moment. Give it time and the Constellation may find favour again in the next gen. of occidental collectors, perhaps when gargantuan tool watches are living safely in sock drawers and fashion moves away from "whack you on the side of the head" conspicuousness. :)

Cheers

Desmond

NT931, boat2dan, John R Smith and 2 others like this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 30, 2014

Part of it is the size, I can wear 34.5mm but its the minimum for me and the reason I prefer collecting higher end Seamaster dress models is while also being 34.5mm their much beefier lugs make them wear larger than the Constellation. Guys like Kyle look perfectly normal wearing a Constellation as it looks full size on wrists his size but guys like me look like I'm wearing a ladies watch.

That doesn't mean I want a 40mm+ Constellation by any means, but the correct size in my view should be 37-38mm which Patek, JLC and others have really focused on in recent years. Speedmasters never had that problem, even the earliest models are bigger than an early Daytona, Carrera or El Primero, and from the Pro model onwards, 42mm will never be considered small nor excessively big for a sports chronograph, they just got it right.

15. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Dec 1, 2014

I think that is a strength in the newer Constellation models because they are 38mm, unless one goes for "mid-sized".

D

16. Tom Dick and Harry Dec 1, 2014

IMHO I have started to favour Connies and now own four, not a watch I would have considered a few years ago, maybe my tastes are maturing, who knows

A lot of it comes down to trends and fashion, there was a great article in one of the papers watchc supplements about two months ago around the Italians and their influence, at the moment there is a real trend towards smaller more discrete watches, so who knows maybe the constellation will have. Major revival

17. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Dec 1, 2014

hard to say..... I have the feeling, that gold constellations have peaked. and this forum played a role in the rise......with falling commodity prices worldwide, gold seems to have lost the safe heaven status in the moment. excellent & vintage steel constellations have to catch up. but it is all a bit of a guesswork in the moment. there seems to be a mayor economic problem brewing worldwide. a shift in valuations..... kind regards. achim

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 1, 2014

I think there's still a ways to go especially on the gold models as they're still priced lower than junk grade / highly polished Rolex 1803s. It was always due for a correction especially as the main Omega lines moved further upmarket and back to in-house movements. In a recent interview Stephen Urquhart made some hints about the Constellation line:

If they did decide to bring back the classic Constellation the whole game would change

19. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Dec 1, 2014

I am not sure if it will have any impact on demand for vintage pieces but i would love to the see improved comeback, especially in 38mm diameter.

20. Tom Dick and Harry Dec 1, 2014

I'm not sure I agree with Omegas nasty habit of reviving vintage watches, Ploprof, Bullhead, MKII and now the SM300..... they all lack imagination and whilst they are all lovely pieces I think we need watches which are new in design and technology, just my two pence