Forums Latest Members
  1. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 27, 2014

I was following this listing for a poster boy franken watch:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-OMEGA-...OWHVVeHXgnEDz%2FDgv4U%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Everything is wrong with this watch. The case back has fake markings, made to look like markings from a WWW Omega. The movement is a 285 from the 60's. The crown is random and the hands are wrong and not genuine. So why did this watch sell for so much (aside maybe from shilling) ? My theory is because of the dial. The dial looks like it might be a real (although I doubt it) Omega TA dial- the kind that was used for servicing of the 53 RAF pilot watches by Omega in the 60s and 70's. Could this have driven the price up?

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 27, 2014

People are often bringing watches like this here. They do absolutely no research before purchasing the watch. It does not occur to them that the seller would be or could be lying to them. They just like the way it looked. Then they come someplace like here and ask about the watch. While the do everything wrong, I am not totally unsympathetic. They are just trying to what appears to be a simple task and next thing they know, they are in way over their heads.

3. ulackfocus Jan 27, 2014

There must be n00b dust that sprays from the computer when listings like this are viewed. Veterans are immune to it so we aren't affected / infected. The n00b is under the influence, and just like any controlled substance it has a synergistic effect when combined with alcohol. It would explain a lot, eh?

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 27, 2014

No idea - that's not a correct TA dial.

5. Lode_Runner Jan 27, 2014

That, and shill bidding is absolutely rampant on eBay, and the company is doing absolutely nothing about it despite how amateurish and easy to detect it is. Most redial Omegas (not fake) usually go for about half of what that sold for
    If someone is selling something fake, bogus or just misleadingly described, it's not hard to imagine that the seller's fraud extends to the bidding as well. The "winner" was probably bidding against the seller's shill accounts.

6. cristos71 Jan 27, 2014

Maybe it has to do with the price of new fashion watches?

If I take a stroll through my local department stores there I can find many, many fashion, quartz monstrosities for 2-300 Euro +. For the average person these are the prices anno 2014. Step up a level to the Hamilton/Oris kind of watches and the prices are shocking, 1000 Euro + is the norm.

When a Michael Korrs or whatever costs 350 Euro in the shops then paying 400 on Ebay for an "Omega" seems like a smart move for the inexperienced mark with a sub 500 Euro budget.

The poor buyers of these are more than likely just like we all were in the beginning, inexperienced and naive to what can be the corrupt, cruel and unforgiving vintage watch world.

When the price of fashion tat is so high I can imagine it makes the cost of a re-dialed Ebay Franken look not too bad to the novice watch buyer.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 27, 2014

Won buy a zero feedback bidder. Second highest has 42% of his bids with this seller.