Forums Latest Members

Why did Rolex use the name Yachtmaster in 1992 when omega already had several master brands?

1. emilycestmoi Jan 20, 2020

This was a question that came up recently in my local redbar group and I'm curious if anyone has any insight.

Omega is somewhat synonymous with the "master" name for their watches: seamaster, speedmaster, railmaster, flightmaster.

So why did Rolex confusingly name their new watch the Yachtmaster in 1992?

Was it purely coincidental? Was Rolex trying to capitalize on Omega's branding? Was Rolex trying to take the name before Omega did?

I'd love to hear any thoughts or ideas!

2. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jan 20, 2020

Why did Rolex name it the GMT-Master in 1954, when Omega already had a Seamaster line dating back to the late 40’s? Why did Omega name their Seamaster 300 the Seamaster 300, when they already had a Seamaster non-diver line and Rolex already had the GMT-line? Why do anyone name anything “Master” this or “Master” that? My guess is because it sounds f%#king awesome. It signifies that you “Master” something and “Master” also being part of an old naval officer title. Being a master means you rule something or someone. Having a watch that says “Master” on the dial makes you insanely cool. End of story. No further replies to this thread needed ::rimshot::

lando, Dan S, Foo2rama and 4 others like this.
  3. Tri-national-man Jan 20, 2020

:D
    That was a masterful response

4. kip595 Jan 20, 2020

In a way, I kinda suspect Togri is right. One of the Wesson's of Smith and Wesson supposedly suggested designating a new cartridge .357 MAGNUM (which is really a sort of .38 special on steroids in a longer shell casing) because he loved champagne and large bottles of champagne were called magnums, and now we use magnum for all sorts of 'tough/big' stuff. Master has sort of achieved that ubiquitousness, it seems.

kkt, JwRosenthal and emilycestmoi like this.
  5. khanmu Jan 20, 2020

I’m a bit more curious about the “Yacht” bit - for the Mark 1, I could never see what it had over and above say a normal sub in terms of functionality, especially anything related to Sailing. At least the new one has a countdown timer anyway.

flw and emilycestmoi like this.
  6. Longbow Jan 20, 2020

Well that’s a bit of a missed opportunity for a Master debate.

Some say the Rolex Submariner is the best all-round watch, but since it’s missing the key text in question I guess that makes it a Jack of all trades and master of none. But what to make of the Omega offerings?

Some Omegas have more masters than others. Omega used to allow Swiss Jewelers to co-sign their dials so a Seamaster from “Meister” would be a master-master. Then there’s the more contemporary offering of the Master Chronometers, so again master-masters. Following this approach you could end up with a Seamaster “Meister” Master Chronometer: a Master-Master-Master. So the question is can you have many masters or even too many masters?

As we Speed through the plethora of all these ego trips we might Rail against such nonsense and take Flight. Perhaps we should remind ourselves that, much like rings and highlanders, there can be only one. Enter the Globemaster, but as well known from Mr Bond, “The world is not enough” which neatly brings us to something even greater, a true master: A vintage Constellation.

Aludic, kkt, flw and 6 others like this.
  7. janice&fred Jan 20, 2020

you forgot about the model Omega was proposing for the deck hands in charge of bait on the sport fishing boats participating in tuna tournaments. :D

kkt, flw, 89-0 and 2 others like this.
  8. JwRosenthal Jan 20, 2020

That just made my brain hurt

9. JwRosenthal Jan 20, 2020

I thought they were proposing that name for a watch designed for the legal profession- it would be a chrono chiming watch that dings at 6 minute intervals.

kkt and janice&fred like this.
  10. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jan 20, 2020

But are you master of your domain?

mz_cle and Larry S like this.
  11. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 20, 2020

The master debate continues....

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 20, 2020

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 20, 2020

Why did Porsche release an Electric car with a trim level called Turbo?

why did BMW bend over backwards and change the name of one of its most iconic cars to make it fit BMW naming conventions of 4 doors odd numbers and 2 doors even numbers by renaming the M3 as an M4. Then 2 years later come out with a 4 door 6 series and 4 door 4 series?

flw, ChrisRid and DaveK like this.
  14. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jan 20, 2020

Grrrrrr.... I told you, no further replies to this thread :mad:

15. bubu16 Jan 20, 2020

And at times in my opinion, Master is a "superlative" adjective. Like the best among the group or something like that.;)

JwRosenthal likes this.
  16. vbrad26 Jan 20, 2020

And I feel there was a bit of a missed opportunity for a joke here. I was expecting one at least...

This. This gets me fired up. When is the 2 series 4 door coming again?

Foo2rama and DaveK like this.
  17. bubu16 Jan 20, 2020

"Master" Debate-pretty cerebral Brod-pun intended(lol).

18. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jan 20, 2020

Speaking of “master”...check out what I received this last Christmas from the wife unit and our kid units. TMI? Probably. :D

D56CE85A-650C-455B-B666-2D2C07E5E1F0.jpeg

Togri v. 2.0, vbrad26, lando and 4 others like this.
  19. JwRosenthal Jan 20, 2020

...and there’s the poop joke! Knew this thread wasn’t complete yet. Thank you @Mad Dog for keeping us grounded.

lando, Longbow, kkt and 2 others like this.
  20. flw history nerd Jan 20, 2020

I drive a REAL 2 series (with only two doors). I empathize.

vbrad26, kkt and Foo2rama like this.