Forums Latest Members

Who would sell a watch for Bitcoin?

1. MaiLollo Dec 14, 2017

In 2014 I knew a guy that was very happy about the fact that his initial 200€ invested in bitcoin had become 4000€. What a profit, I'll do X Y and Z with it. Then Mt Gox failed, they were worth 100€ and his butt hurt.
    A profit is such only when you exit a position, in the meantime, it's just a number going up and down.

I'm not sure if he invested again in the BTC since then...
    Your call :)

sevenhelmet and CTS-V like this.
  2. mayankyadav Dec 14, 2017

A person who has Bitcoins as of now will not "sell" it for a watch I think :p

Don Bocadillo likes this.
  3. kippyk Dec 15, 2017

That's the beauty of bitcoin, there is never a rational reason to buy or sell! Buy a watch for $8k and let the rest ride. If it doubles again, buy another watch! Or...put the bitcoin on the Coinbase exchange and place a "Stop" sell order on it. Basically, you are selling the coin if it goes below a certain point. That will protect your downside.

CTS-V likes this.
  4. kippyk Dec 15, 2017

I think the biggest threat to bitcoin is its performance in a financial crisis. When the next one comes, will it crash in price? The liquidity of bitcoin in a crisis is unknown.

5. mayankyadav Dec 16, 2017

sit on it! please!

CTS-V likes this.
  6. CTS-V Dec 17, 2017

Just hit $21k.....

amiriqbal likes this.
  7. kippyk Dec 17, 2017

I will be exiting BTC sooner rather than later. After studying and working with it extensively the past few weeks, I am thinking that a different crypto will win in the long run. The functionality of BTC has been suffocated by the speculation and network traffic that is taking place. it cost me $24 to move some BTC today. It only cost me $0.07 to move Litecoin. BTC is becoming non-functional very quickly. I expect a wave of bad press and scandals soon enough.

I remember talking with a trader in Chicago who was worth a cool 1.5 million dollars on paper in the 80's. After the Black Friday stock crash, she was worth $0. She could not trade out of her positions due to the system shutting down. BTC trading will shut down in a heartbeat. I do not want to be like her.

8. repoman Dec 17, 2017

I tend to agree... the first in the market rarely ends up winning as everyone can now iterate and refine; fees for BTC will become a huge deal when and if it stabilizes. I think there is still a long way to go before we are there, so for now, enjoy the ride.

9. speedbird Dec 18, 2017

XRP will be the coin to unseat BTC. The inevitability of a large corporation with the banking industry behind it to smash the pirates at their own game is certain.

Dash1 likes this.
  10. jetkins Dec 18, 2017

My PC currently spends its otherwise-idle cycles crunching numbers for the World Community Grid. If I was to get (back) into mining, I doubt I'd see much change in my bill.

11. jetkins Dec 18, 2017

I have a Bitcoin that I bought with a hundred bucks that I received as a Christmas gift several years ago, plus a few more Bitcoin bits that I mined shortly thereafter - this was back in the day when it was still feasible to mine with a regular consumer graphics card. As the value ballooned recently, I cashed in a few bits and bought myself a nice Speedy Tintin, and as it continues to grow I'm taking out a little bit here and a little bit there. It's basically a free money tree, and the best Christmas gift ever. And if it collapses tomorrow, I'll still be way ahead.

ac106 and CTS-V like this.
  12. ndgal Dec 22, 2017

13. jetkins Dec 22, 2017

It'll be back; it's already bounced back up to $12.5k. May only be a temporary recovery, but I doubt it will drop below $10k before it resumes its steady climb.

14. kidkimura Dec 22, 2017

Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 12.19.01 PM.png
    jetkins likes this.
  15. Kali77 Dec 22, 2017

Sell off done. Brought it down to let some of the big boys in at a better price point imo.

Dash1 likes this.
  16. ndgal Dec 22, 2017

Personally, I would never invest my money in something that is not tangible and can disappear overnight.

Bitcoin can be worth $0.00 one of these days. (It might never happen, but the possibility is there).
    My watch collection will never be worth $0.00 (Unless a Zombie Apocalypse happens. And even then, a watch will be worth something more than $0.00....).

kov and Waltesefalcon like this.
  17. kidkimura Dec 22, 2017

Like a share of any company on any stock market in the world? Or any fiat currency which is worth something only because it can pay taxes in the country from whence it came? (See e.g. Venezuela, Argentina)

Spacefruit likes this.
  18. ndgal Dec 22, 2017

Exactly. Will never invest in stocks either. I'm stupid like that...

19. ICONO Dec 22, 2017

Fallen off a cliff in the last 5 days ……with a small rally today …it is still a make-believe currency

Waltesefalcon and ndgal like this.
  20. jetkins Dec 22, 2017

Yeah, it dropped like a stone to only a mere 1,100% up on this time last year.

Spacefruit and ac106 like this.