Forums Latest Members

Who has had to reluctantly sell a watch?

1. thevespabandit Jan 23, 2019

As the title suggests, I may have gotten myself into a situation whereby I've acquired a life long dream piece and may have to get rid of it for a multitude of reasons...

I'd love to hear your stories of regret, how you felt, circumstance and if you later re-acquired a similar or same watch.

As for me, if I have to part with my beloved 145.022-69, I'll most likely see myself out of this forum to alleviate the pain

superfly, VintageWatchIta and sdre like this.
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 23, 2019

Sell something else? :(

3. repoman Jan 23, 2019

I've over extended myself a time or two... and sold off a piece but its usually in combination with the realization that I don't feel the passion for that particular piece anymore. Reluctantly.. yes. Thankfully, I've not had to sell something that would really hurt. At the end of the day, if its a choice between paying the mortgage, putting food on the table, or some similar necessity, they you absolutely should do what you need to do, you can always buy the beloved watch back again down the road when circumstances allow it.

sdre, merchandiser, OHS and 3 others like this.
  4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 23, 2019

Sorry to hear. The '69 will likely keep it's value, or even continue to increase. I would look for other assets that would likely only drop in value to sell first, if possible.

Regardless, I hope you are able to get through whatever bind you may be in.

5. Mongooseman Jan 23, 2019

I had to sell a Speedmaster Professional that I'd worn during my time at sea in the Royal Navy, and doing so both lost me a fortune and broke my heart.

Tet, nonuffinkbloke, airansun and 4 others like this.
  6. thevespabandit Jan 23, 2019

Alright, that's by far the worst one I've heard thus far. I'm really sorry to hear that.

7. thevespabandit Jan 23, 2019

So I do need to free up some funds to allow my wife to gain citizenship (lucky us here in Aus, we have the dubious honour of the most expensive citizenship in the world)...
    The Speedy became bit of a sticking point as I splurged a bit of my savings prematurely on a 30th b'day present on a -69 that came up really cheap.

So the speedy now has bit of a tarnished reputation in the house, but I do have 1 or 2 vintage guitars left that I could flip to free up the same funds. It's a real hard one. I don't really play anymore, and the omega definitely brings daily moments of joy every time I look down at it.

Unfortunately not everyone shares the same passion/appreciation/pleasure/history etc etc

sdre and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  8. Mongooseman Jan 23, 2019

Thanks, it is what it is. I am pretty determined to get another at some point. I love the new 300m Diver I have, but I have to say it'll never make me feel like the Speedy did.

citizenrich likes this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 24, 2019

Easy several guitars one speedmaster.

Update us when you have one of each :thumbsup:

thevespabandit and Darlinboy like this.
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 24, 2019

Flip the guitars first and then the watch. I didn’t start buying anything remotely like vintage guitars and expensive watches in my 20’s 30s (ok I did have a Hobie Cat but that’s a lifestyle thing) . was too focused on savings, mortgage, a kid and car payments. Priorities are a bitch. Don’t spend money you don’t really have.

gemini4, airansun, murph and 2 others like this.
  11. Bernardino Jan 24, 2019

sold my Panerai to cover my tax bill that I mis-calculated last year, I couldn’t touch my savings as this was already set aside for planned home improvements!

First world problems I guess!!!!

12. Jerseyhammer Jan 24, 2019

Not so far

13. alam Jan 24, 2019

I'd tell @thevespabandit to sell first the Vespa...

:p

vespa.PNG
  14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 24, 2019

Kids are always an option, but they're damn are to sell. :rolleyes:

Shabbaz, MRC, Nathan1967 and 6 others like this.
  15. gdupree Jan 24, 2019

I feel this. I'm a long-time musician, and I don't know which I would choose. I have some instruments that mean as much to me as my watches, and I don't know which I would choose if I were forced to get rid of one.

I think I would rather sell my car and drive a 20 year old beater until things got a little easier... Hell, every car is rapidly depreciating, so why not do something like that instead of getting rid of assets that are appreciating and hold great sentimental value? An old car gets ya where you need just the same.

thevespabandit, 1972Steve and murph like this.
  16. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Jan 24, 2019

Depending on your financial situation you may consider taking a loan before selling a potentially appreciating asset.

17. Waltesefalcon Jan 24, 2019

So far not a watch. I did have to sell off almost my entire collection of guns once about ten years ago when a combination of things hit my family all at once and my resources were not enough to cover it all. I have only recently been able to start reassembling a collection.

18. Au79 Aluminium Jan 24, 2019

I have been thinking to sell a few of my watches that does not get a lot of wrist time anymore. But when it comes to pulling the trigger for real, I always chicken out. This has been going on for years. It has nothing to do with price appreciation or sentimentality. I think it is my weird personally where unless I absolutely have to, I just can't let go of any stuff once I buy them.

Larry S likes this.
  19. gostang9 Jan 24, 2019

I would gladly sell all children after our 1st...

20. Dan S Jan 24, 2019

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am really going to feel bad beating up @thevespabandit on the price of his Speedmaster after reading this thread. ::rimshot::

But seriously ... I hope you find another way to get through the rough patch.