Forums Latest Members

Who would sell a watch for Bitcoin?

1. kippyk Nov 29, 2017

I can totally see that happening. When the crash occurs, it will be spectacular. Bitcoin futures is the craziest thing ever.

Waltesefalcon and smitty190373 like this.
  2. COYI Nov 29, 2017

I am astounded how quickly BTC reached $10k. It will be interesting to see how the launch of Bitcoin futures and options will affect the price. I'm tempted to buy some put options but there's no telling how long this bubble will last and how high the price could go before it pops.

3. ac106 Nov 29, 2017

It will pop right after speedmaster bubble pops

MaiLollo likes this.
  4. COYI Nov 29, 2017

I'd rather have a nice Speedy than a Bitcoin. If the bubbles burst at least you can still enjoy wearing the watch

MaiLollo and Waltesefalcon like this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 29, 2017

Thought of this thread when I saw this...turn the volume up...

gostang9, Dre, heavenscloud and 5 others like this.
  6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 29, 2017

Here is my, current and open to change, view of Bitcoin.

Many people, including myself, have longed for an alternative method of wealth transfer and storage. One without onerous compliance, supervision and control (for my "Safety and Security" apparently). Crypto gives me that.

Its VERY new. For me, my desire outweighs the risks involved (which are high) in holding crypto. But I fully accept that 90% of people are not ready - and I have no desire to push them. Also If all my wealth was in Crypto then I would be as foolish as having all my wealth in USD.

A new bank opens its doors with capital. Money that it has to hand. The government then permits this bank to lend a multiple of that capital. That is the government permits (encourages!) the bank to lend money it does not have. This is "Double Spending" where the same money is used many times to buy many things.

Crypto does not allow double spending, the use of "money" to buy things simultaneously.

Imagine our bank had borrowed its initial capital from....another bank! That is as imaginary as imaginary money can get. The additional money for its outgoing loans is made up in loan notes from a central bank who has got the money from....er....a printing press. Except now they dont print it they press a button. There is no proof of work, no democratic consensus, and this money printing, oh sorry "Quantitative Easing" decision is made by people much cleverer than me so if they tried to explain it I would not understand so I should just trust them.

In our world that would be like selling the same speedmaster to 10 people. And as long as they all lived in the same house and they didn't want to wear it on the same day....all will be well.

Bitcoin, and other crypto currencies has its value in the trust that it cannot be double spent. In fact Bitcoin is not anonymous and could if need be be traced - in fact you can go onto the blockchain and see the very first block (it is here)

It is also open for all to see - in that if I send you bitcoin you can see it coming to your wallet on the blockchain - and not someone else's wallet. This is all recorded in the distributed ledger that is the bitcoin blockchain on millions of computers around the world - who have to agree a consensus in order to write the next block of transactions.

While the video above are amusing, try looking at it from the other way around. I think it would be more accurate to think of those holes as US dollars (or any Fiat) as they are created out of thin air.

People say there is nothing behind Bitcoin. Well it is true there is no Gold convertibility (Or hard asset convertibility) , but there has not been convertibility for some time for USD (not since 1971). So the USD is backed only by the trust of those who use it. (Even the US dollar tells you right on the paper its printed on, not to trust the US dollar - "In GOD we trust" it says - ok thats a snide joke but ....is it?)

What is behind bitcoin? Trust. Trust that when I send you bitcoin, it is from the finite supply and it is not being used 10 times elsewhere simultaneously. There is trust that no central party has the power to block, change, or remove the transaction or bitcoin itself.

Now I am not an Economist. It may well be that this ability to spend the same money multiple times is a good thing. It may be what is keeping America, and other central bank controlled Sovereign states all churning along economically.

So it may be that the collapse of Fiat currencies will have us in the dark ages again.

I just dont know.

But I do know Fiat is collapsing, no mater how many funny videos or what ridicule is heaped on crypto currencies or what nonsenses are spread about bitcoin being a criminals currency.

Criminals currency? try walking into a bank with $50,000 and see how they treat you and what happens next. Then you will see what "Criminals Currency" looks like.

/rant over

Starman71, lando, trackpad and 5 others like this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 29, 2017

Satire is apparently not your strong suit - recognizing it anyway. :)

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 29, 2017

Satire? oh yes...

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="
    " frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(but I would bet you know of this :))

propervinyl likes this.
  9. Kali77 Nov 29, 2017

Or even sending a wire of any significant amount :confused::whistling:

10. propervinyl Nov 29, 2017

We can argue about this all we want. At the end of the day, the bitcoin story has been fascinating to watch. And the story isnt over.

11. smitty190373 Nov 29, 2017

Bitcoin or it's successor is here to stay. But until there's some stability, it is almost impossible to use it day to day.

It's gained another 10% today!

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 29, 2017

Well, I guess I wasn't expecting such a rant response from posting a funny video.

To paraphrase..."Sometimes a funny video is just a funny video."

It seems to upset you, and that was certainly not my intent. I'm not yet on the crypto currency bandwagon, but I also don't have the need to store and transfer wealth while avoiding onerous compliance and supervision. Not sure how much wealth you need to have for that, but clearly it's way more than I have...;)

13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 29, 2017

No NO not remotely upset - the rant was not really a rant . Just a post that had been building up about Crypto

The keyboard has removed nuances that face to face would have passed fuller meanings and conveyed a much lighter tone. That rant switch was only there as I have been doing a lot of coding and I am not a coder.

Starman71 likes this.
  14. trackpad Nov 29, 2017

@Spacefruit Illuminating “rant”, ...I really enjoyed it.

BTC $50,000 seems around the corner now. I agree with everyone who thinks this *probably* doesn’t end well, ...but also that it has been incredibly fun to watch.

15. EdtheAussie Nov 29, 2017

And there are many, like me, who wished they'd jumped on the bitcoin train earlier!

16. repoman Nov 29, 2017

If this isn't short term volatility, I don't know what is... from today's flash crash of BTC:
    20171129_10k9.jpg

17. kippyk Nov 29, 2017

Bitcoin flash crashes are expected. The exchanges can't handle the flood of orders (neither can blockchain). The craziest thing today, I transferred some BTC from Coinbase to Blockchain.info and it happened in seconds. I thought it was supposed to take between 10-40 minutes today. They must have some sort of agreement between the exchanges because they are trusted partners.

18. kippyk Nov 29, 2017

19. kippyk Nov 30, 2017

KippyK watch challenge..can I make a killing on Bitcoin to buy a killer watch?

I am trying to actively trade Bitcoin and purchase a watch with my profit. If I lose money before I throw in the towel, I will need to sell a watch for punishment. My bankroll is $10,000.

11/30/2017 Trade 01: Buy : BTC price = $9702/BTC + $147 fee = 1.016 BTC currently in wallet

Kmart, adi4, Mods and 3 others like this.
  20. smitty190373 Nov 30, 2017

@kippyk Brilliant... good luck buddy :thumbsup:

Mods likes this.