Forums Latest Members

Who to replace speedmaster crystal

1. evoeddie May 19, 2019

hey guys

Tonight I had the unfortunate luck to put a crack in my speedmaster hesalite crystal. It’s a 2018 model. Does anyone have a good recommendation as to who can replace the crystal with a real omega replacement crystal? I’m in Long Island not too far from manhattan. I don’t mind mailing it out if need be. I sent an email to govberg which I found on google. But I’d really like some recommendations from you all. Thanks for your time and help!

2. 77deluxe May 19, 2019

Any competent watchmaker with access to omega parts can do this.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. evoeddie May 19, 2019

Understood. I don’t know any watchmakers. This is a new endeavor for me. The watch means a ton and I don’t want it to be handled incorrectly.

4. c2500 May 19, 2019

If it's new, it's still under warranty?

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 20, 2019

Cracked Hesalite isn’t normally covered by warranty.

@evoeddie the Omega Boutique on Long Island should be able to assist you. You can find them on Omegas website.

89-0 and Bimmerman77 like this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 20, 2019

True, but it's relevant in order to give advice to use an independent watchmaker or going to Omega. If you use anyone other than Omega, that would void the warranty if it has one.

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. g-boac May 20, 2019

Even though accidental damage is generally not covered under warranty, something like this may be handled as a courtesy by the omega boutique for you free of charge - assume it won’t be covered since accidental damage is outside the scope of warranty, but if it is then consider it a nice surprise!

A number of boutiques have technicians and a workshop on staff where basic diagnostics and maintenance can be completed. A few (Seattle) are attached to full service centers. If so the crystal could be replaced while you wait.

If the crystal is shattered as opposed to a simple crack they may indicate a full service is required (which again may or may not be done as a courtesy), due to the potential for debris to have gotten into the movement.

As archer stated regardless of whether the damage itself is covered under warranty, if the watch is under warranty it is important to service it through omega to keep the balance of the warranty in effect.