Forums Latest Members
  1. mac_omega Nov 8, 2017

Hi all,

I have a question to the experts and all in the know.

See the section of this dials and have a close look at the dagger shaped indices

Keile_ZB.jpg

These indices look applied, but they are not riveted on the back - the back of the dial is smooth, there are no signs of any small riveted "feet" which are usually seen on dials with applied metal indices (numerals, logos).
    They are "ebossed" which I mean protruding but can not make out how they are applied onto the surface - no traces on the back. Are they glued or soldered to the dial and silver plated afterwards?

I do not want to sacrifice a dial to cut it through one index to see how it is attached...

So can anybody explain the production process?

Thanks a lot in advance

2. omegastar Nov 8, 2017

They are part of the dial plate which was produced this way. They where not added. Often seen in lower quality brands and Omega service dials.

3. jimmyd13 Nov 8, 2017

No expert here but I am intrigued ... are you saying the dial was machined down to leave the indices proud on the dial? I could see that being an easy process with a modern CNC machine but in a vintage dial, what was the manufacturing process?

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 8, 2017

Are you saying the dial plate/index markers were cast as one piece?

So how were the tracks and minute marks applied, surely not with a standard cliche?

5. bubba48 Nov 8, 2017

If there are no evident traces on the back side of the dial, they used a high quality cold coining technique : the outillage.

Clipboard01.jpg

Vitezi and JimInOz like this.
  6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 8, 2017

Embossed dials were, at times, seen in higher class models as well. I have owned an 18k IWC from the '50s with superb, and very shallow embossed indexes. The reason for the choice was that very thin indexes could not easily support metal pins.

7. mac_omega Nov 8, 2017

So the flat areas of the dial were highly compressed in order to let the "pattern" (indices, numbers) stand out the surface?
    Did I understand this correctly?

Mods likes this.
  8. bubba48 Nov 8, 2017

Right. They used a power press up to 200 tons

Mods likes this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 8, 2017

I have my doubts in Erich's example. With the type of printing involved it seems like that would cause complications.
    I would think the dial has shallow feet receptors and the markers then glued into them. I have seen this in Seiko and other dials.

10. omegastar Nov 8, 2017

If you look at those dials from the side you will see that the sides of the markers have the same color as the mainplate when the top is generally gold or silver.
    I meant you see those dial generally in lower quality brands for the markers will oxydate with time which is not the case with massive gold markers used by higher class makers. Of course there are exceptions, it is general trend.

11. bubba48 Nov 8, 2017

Anyway the outillage is an expensive technique but a simple embossing is cheaper and of course of lower quality.

12. mac_omega Nov 8, 2017

But what leaves me somewhat confused is the question how they managed to print the fine minute hashes and the delicate rings which sit flush to the edge of the index.

13. DON Nov 8, 2017

Stamping technique and then plated as needed

Same as these two dials

DON

[​IMG]

14. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Nov 8, 2017

Wondering the same. This dial shows a similar interaction between printing and indices but the tolerances may not be as low.
    C.JPG

Zapatta and Mods like this.