Forums Latest Members

Who Knew Fedex Was Working Today?

1. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 21, 2013

It's a federal holiday in the States for you furriners out there, but I am roused from overhung slumber by the doorman hailing me in our national language, "Paquete, señor"

Well, one finds Zeniths in strange places (mostly Italy actually, which is not that strange, excepting the postal service), and this is no exception. It hails from an superbly pleasant and prompt seller in Cebu City, Phillipines. My old friends will say, "There goes Lou wading into franken country again - if it's not South America, it's SE Asia." So a short trip via Manila, Guangzhou, Narita, Anchorage, Newark, the Bronx ( :eek:), then to my door.

It's a nice steel Captain on beads-of-rice
    [​IMG]

Clean, modest, business-like, it's 36mm without crown. Surprising as these tend to run a little small
    [​IMG]

The dial is a very mellow eggshell white, very clean and sharp. In addition the somewhat particular hands are correct, as is the crown.
    [​IMG]

Movement ought to be rotted out, coming from SE Asia, but it isn't. It's a relatively rare cal 71
    [​IMG]

Relish those Geneva stripes! 1958 by serial number.
    [​IMG]

Overall, delighted by the watch and very grateful to the seller. Always happy to add a Captain, and it's the first 71 in the collection.

2. ulackfocus Jan 21, 2013

Now I see why the Seamaster waffle dial went up for sale. No sense having two nearly identical watches so keep the one from your favorite brand. :thumbsup:

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 21, 2013

Cebu is a pretty modern area and it also happens to have a long colorful history - Ferdinand Magellan arrived there first in 1521 and was slain in a clash with the Filipino Lapu Lapu who is considered the first hero of the Philippines.

4. Dablitzer Jan 21, 2013

That's gorgeous ::love::

5. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 21, 2013

Mine says Ahoy! Nice pick-up. I think you've covered the important wristwatch calibres. On to the 5011k deck watch!

[​IMG]

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 21, 2013

Just maintaining Karmic balance.

Magellan must have landed with a box full of Stuhrlings. Lapu Lapu only did what he had to do.

Ah, I forgot you had this one, thank you for confirmation that I've got the right hands.

7. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 21, 2013

Very nice Lou.::love::

8. ulackfocus Jan 21, 2013

UPS was working to day too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:p

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2013

You sure seem to go through those, can't you stand still. :p

10. ulackfocus Jan 21, 2013

Had to retire my brown AE Maxfield loafers after 6 years. :( These are the replacements.

11. Veritas99 Jan 22, 2013

Moving up to Park Avenue, very nice.