Forums Latest Members

Who has some spare change? (part of The Salomons collection is being auctioned)

1. Dor_42 Sep 24, 2020

From the article-

"The decision to let go of certain pieces in our collection is one that has unfolded over the course of several years, through thoughtful discussion with all of our key stakeholders, namely our board, our director, and our curators. Together, we have been careful to select for sale works which, for the most part, are either duplicated in the collection or were held in storage. Their sale will not only secure the future of the museum, but will allow us to maintain and display our wonderful collection in an appropriate manner, and – importantly – it will allow us to expand on the educational community projects which align so closely both with our founding mission and with our future vision."

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/t...sOGnffPVpUDw9E60EALBJBv6WSm7cHuRKDN9_MKe9JST0

Sad to see how part of the reason is the lack of funding to the museum.
    As an Israeli I think its purpose it something that should be preserved and watched over for future generations.

Personally I'm not really into pocket watches but I have to admit they look beautiful!
    [​IMG]

Edited Sep 24, 2020
  2. Marsimaxam Sep 24, 2020

Thank you for sharing. I too have never collected pocket watches as I guess I'm just not sophisticated enough to wear one or don't have enough vests. But they are stunning, as timepieces, and as art. The history is fascinating and if I recall, I may be wrong, Breguet also made the famous Marie Antoinette grand complication watch. They are all truly works of art.

Dor_42 likes this.