Forums Latest Members
  1. SpeedyD Jul 12, 2019

Apollo 8 or ‘regular DSOTM?

Ignoring price. Which would you go for and why?

EDIT: obviously they are both ceramic. That’s of no concern. Already got a number of ceramic speedies.

1C2D7C93-73D9-4B50-AF93-7646D8353777.jpeg 223D1BAB-1106-439F-9B35-E7383AD69C89.jpeg
    Edited Jul 12, 2019
    fskywalker likes this.
  2. Canuck Jul 12, 2019

For myself, neither. Too many negative reports about shattering cases on these high tech watches. Not that I am tough on watches. Speaking personally, I just don’t like the look.

efauser likes this.
  3. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Jul 12, 2019

I can give you a real answer because both were available when I bought by original DSOTM last year (well, "available" is a bit of a stretch for the Apollo 8 last October, but I could have ordered it). I like the Apollo 8, but prefer the original DSOTM - plus because my memory long ago went to s**t I must have the date on my watches.

4. Vega Mike Jul 12, 2019

Personally I also wouldn’t purchase either for the same reasons mention above . As far as I’m concerned traditional metals are more durable.

As for my preference between the two, it would be the Apollo 8. The dial is unique and the yellow is a nice contrast which makes the watch pop.

5. Bushido Jul 12, 2019

I am actually going to be making this exact decision later today. I received a call last week from my AD that they have an Apollo 8 that just came in and they set it aside for me. I currently own the Black Black which I absolutely enjoy. I decided (read: need to keep my wife happy) that it will be one or the other and not both.

As to the durability/fragility of the Omega ceramic cases: I currently own three different ceramic models. I wear them all regularly and I'm very physically active. Never any issues and they all look brand new. Yes, they can crack if you throw it. In regular daily wear, it's a non issue.

SpeedyD, Dogmann, stevec14 and 2 others like this.
  6. SG90 Jul 12, 2019

DSOTM Black Black.

But as that isn’t a choice, the Apollo 8.

As a matter of interest, what’s a replacement ceramic case cost if you were to crack one?

Dogmann and SpeedyD like this.
  7. SpeedyD Jul 12, 2019

I’m actually going to buy both eventually. But have had the decision complicated by good deals being open on both, but can only manage one. I just thought it would be fun to get other’s perspective to help choose.

Ceramic has benefits and risks. It won’t be to everyone’s taste or pocket. This is not intended to be a debate on ceramic merits (though I accept that fear of it would be a valid reason for someone to choose not to buy).

(I’ve already got BSOTM, GSOTM and WSOTM. So clearly ceramic is not a concern lol.)

8. SpeedyD Jul 12, 2019

7k for a side of the moon is what I have read elsewhere. But is that not what insurance is for?

(Which realistically will mean , either buy a new one, negotiate hard with omega, or write it off).

Dogmann, gerrya and SG90 like this.
  9. SpeedyD Jul 12, 2019

It is a nice choice also. Not in this ‘race’ but will be in another. Likely head to head against the Pitch Black :)

SG90 likes this.
  10. drhex Jul 12, 2019

DSotM as it is more versatile and imho the prettier watch. I have both and the DS gets more wrist time. On cracking: wore the DS for a year as my daily and banged it against all kinds of things, wore it while working on the car and bikes, it looks pristine. A steel watch would be pretty shot by now.

gerrya likes this.
  11. Speedy 419 Jul 12, 2019

DSOTM for me.

12. offsidewing Jul 12, 2019

I love the look of the Apollo 8.

Dogmann likes this.
  13. lustrousaurus Jul 12, 2019

I'd get the Apollo 8 first since those are limited in production. The standard DSotM will probably always be available. Plus, I just got the Apollo 8 a couple weeks ago and it's such a cool watch. Not something you'd see in other Speedmasters, ceramic or SS.

Dogmann likes this.
  14. jets Jul 12, 2019

Apollo 8 has an inferior movement even though it looks cool. I'd pick the auto

15. Dogmann Jul 12, 2019

Hi SpeedyD

The answer to your question for me is an easy one as I bought the Apollo 8 and for me there was just no contest first and foremost it was down to the thickness of the case and how the watch sits on my wrist which was an easy win for the Apollo 8. Secondly I also much prefer the triple dial layout as find the bi compax with two hands in the sub dial messy and unsettling but that may be just me. Lastly I just found the dial of the Apollo 8 to be awesome with it's different depths and finishing and being different to every other Speedmaster I have seen be it a ceramic or steel or even a LTD version. It is some what unique and I believe there are not going to end up being that many of them out there either. It is also the only DSOTM that is a manual wind and using a highly finished and decorated version of the famous Lemania based movement which is partly how it manages to keep its slimness in comparison to the bulky and protruding automatic version.

@All

As to all the mentions of how fragile ceramic is clearly after this length of time and so many having been sold if it really was as big an issue as some fear wouldn't we of heard of a lot more horror stories of my watch shattered or snapped off a lug by now. Yes it can happen due to the nature of ceramic but it seems to be along way off from being a common occurrence or danger and the plus side of a watch case that doesn't pick up the usual dings and scratches from wear seem like a big plus to me. Anyway adding it to my home insurance means it is covered for not just loss or theft but accidental damage also so should the worst happen I'm covered and my watch would either be repaired or I would be paid out but I hope that doesn't happen as not sure finding another will be so easy in the future.

Marc

SpeedyD and gerrya like this.
  16. gerrya Jul 12, 2019

I vote for the DSOTM, I like the twin register sub dial which is very unique, I use it for second time zone.
    As far as ceramic, I'm amazed how tough it actually is, check out some of the YouTube videos on the Zirconium dental cap tests.

17. Pepe Lucas Jul 12, 2019

A friend of mine party a little too much one night and the next day found a little chip on one side of the case of his DSOTM . He took it to the OB and they told him $6,000.00 USD for a new case.

18. Pepe Lucas Jul 12, 2019

I have the Apollo 8 and love it. I agree with some of the comments about being more unique.

Dogmann likes this.
  19. elmar2001 Jul 12, 2019

+1
    Fantastic watch, not only black. All the details.

SpeedyD and SG90 like this.
  20. axl911 Jul 13, 2019

For me.... the DSOTM is a classic. The Apollo 8 is just another one of many LEs.

SpeedyD likes this.