Forums Latest Members

Which watchmaker should I choose for my vintage Omega?

1. AlexJ52 Dec 2, 2020

Hi! I'm new to vintage watches and just purchased my first (Seamaster 30, Cal. 269) from fellow OF member donkii. Upon receiving it, I'm planning to take it to one of the better watchmakers in my country, South Korea for an overhaul and crystal replacement (or hopefully, just a good polish).

Now the thing is, I've never owned a watch as old or well regarded as a vintage Omega, and the only watchmaker service I've paid for, besides changing the battery of a quartz movement, was done cheaply from the nearest one I could find in the form of my Seiko SARB033's overhaul.

So, I've received some advice from my fellow Koreans and have narrowed my search to 3 candidates:

1. The most highly regarded private watchmaker in Korea (However, seems to have no experience overseas. Still, the majority of Koreans say as long as I have the money I should go to him)
    2. Omega certified watchmaker (he seems to have acquired the highest level certificate) who has worked in Swatch Group, Richemont Group as well as additional certifications from Cartier, B&M, IWC and Breguet
    3. WOSTEP graduate who was the nicest on the phone and hinted a discount

Although they obviously can't be sure until they actually see the watch, #1 gave me a price estimate of USD 360+, and #2 and #3 $270-$360 (I guess #3 would be slightly cheaper as aforementioned).

I would like to know who you would take your vintage Omega to if you were me!

Thanks in advance.

Edited Dec 14, 2020
  2. wsfarrell Dec 2, 2020

To me, certifications mean less than recommendations from people who have actually used a particular watchmaker. That said, popular watchmakers are often very busy, and can take months to get a watch back to you. If this were a rare and valuable Omega, I'd send it to #1 and wait. For the watch you describe, I think I'd send it to #3.

AlexJ52 likes this.
  3. SkunkPrince Dec 2, 2020

Quite honestly, I would go with the one who can get genuine Omega parts. The watch itsel is of good quality but there is nothing that I know of that is particularly tricky with it, especially because it's not an automatic.

Your list says to me that choice #2 might have access to parts, though that doesn't disqualify #1. Check with both.

AlexJ52 and kkt like this.
  4. kkt Dec 2, 2020

I agree with Skunk Prince. Go for one who has access to Omega parts, so probably number 2 but maybe the others as well.

Here, the number of mechanical watches needing service greatly outnumber the qualified watchmakers, so I'd wonder why a watchmaker needed to offer a discount. Is #3 just starting out? Maybe try them on a less nice watch at first.

AlexJ52 likes this.
  5. AlexJ52 Dec 2, 2020

Thank you! All three gave me an estimate of a month to a month and half. Would your choice still be #3 since the price is better?

Edited Dec 2, 2020
  6. AlexJ52 Dec 2, 2020

Thanks! Will do.

7. AlexJ52 Dec 2, 2020

Thanks for the reply. #3 isn't just starting out, but I haven't seen reviews of it as much as the others. I think the discount has something to do with this and him being rather nice.
    I did promise him to make a visit for a free checkup, but I doubt I'll "try it out" with a cheaper watch. In my country, a overhauls can be easily found for less than $150...
    Thanks again!

Edited Dec 14, 2020
  8. AlexJ52 Dec 2, 2020

To add, I'm very young (21) and would probably outlive any experienced watchmaker I meet.
    In my situation, should I take the watchmaker's age is to mind as well? It would be a shame to have to find a new WM when I'm 40 or something...

Edited Dec 14, 2020
  9. SkunkPrince Dec 2, 2020

If the son is working for the father and is also a watchmaker, the son is likely going to learn everything his father can tell him.

kkt and AlexJ52 like this.
  10. AlexJ52 Dec 2, 2020

Thanks a lot! :)