Which spring bars do you use?

Anybody ever have a spring bar fail with resulting damage to a watch from a fall off the wrist? I've never had that occur with any of my watches, but I would sure be unhappy if it did.

I have had aftermarket spring bars fail on the watch so that it became almost impossible to remove the bracelet, which resulted in damage during removal.

Happened to me recently….. the aftermarket spring bar was holding the bracelet to the adjustable clasp on my reduced speedie let go and the watch hit the concrete floor with enough force for the snap back case back to pop off and roll away, only to be trod on by my clumsy mate, bending it to the shithouse! Fortunately my watch doctor was able to straighten it.

The reason an aftermarket one was in there in the first place was that the OEM spring bar went fartoing into parts unknown whilst adjusting the bracelet and I just replaced it with whatever was laying about handy……..my bad!

It now has OEM spring bars
Have you seen the title of my Instagram account? This kind of thing is how I came up with it

Just curious: what makes you say that?

Spring bars come in a variety of sizes, thicknesses, shouldered or nonshouldered. So you need to pick the correct thickness (to fit in the bracelet for example) but I don’t think OEM spring bars provide any magic safety feature. Old rusted spring bars will get stuck (spring stops working) or may become brittle. A medium thickness shouldered spring bar, as long as it fits the bracelet, is fine and almost any medium or thick spring bar is fine for straps. Seiko has those extra thick diver spring bars that are more robust than most and it’s not that it’s extra expensive or anything like that

Anybody ever have a spring bar fail with resulting damage to a watch from a fall off the wrist? I've never had that occur with any of my watches, but I would sure be unhappy if it did.

Had one fail, but thankfully the watch was on a nato so the other one held it in place.

Like 1
In the US you can order spring bars directly from Swatchgroup. Last time I ordered they were $4 each and $10 for shipping (for an entire order). That was a few years ago. Dug this out of an old email from them.

If you have any questions, please contact us at 877.839.5224 (Monday through Friday between 9AM and 6PM EST) and press 2 for Spare Part Sales.

Like 3