Forums Latest Members

Which Speedy will appreciate/depreciate more? Completely Hypothetical

1. kip595 Jan 16, 2020

A local jeweler to me gets in one or two Omegas now and then and thanks to their reputation, reasonable efforts at fair deals, and location, has a fairly quick turnover, so I usually take a browse when I'm nearby. A Seamaster trilogy had caught my eye when I realized the two salesmen (being familiar with my usual perusing) were debating two new-to-them pieces about to go in the case for sale. One was a Speedmaster FOIS, full kit, and the other was a 326.30.40.50.06.001 Racing model, the brushed steel and yellow accents, full kit as well.

The racing was on the bracelet, the FOIS on OEM leather, and when I finally broke down and asked they said they thought the manager would accept around 3k USD OTD for either. My suspicion is both were acquired by them from the same seller; both, at a glance looked mint, but it was their debate that intrigued me: which of the two models, generally speaking, do you think will be a better value (appreciate more) in 5 or 10 years?

They're such different models from the same general line that I found myself wondering about it the rest of the day; so I submit it here for anyone's arguments and opinions for or against either. Purely hypothetical, just sort of a 'what if' exercise for a watch lover, if anyone wants to chime in.

2. vicsdca Jan 16, 2020

They will both depreciate so why not purchase the one you prefer? Personally, I find the Speedmaster racing more interesting than the FOIS.

MTROIS likes this.
  3. kip595 Jan 16, 2020

I'm saving for an earlier traditional Pro model; I just found the debate interesting so figured I'd see what others here thought of it.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 16, 2020

3k USD for full kit barely worn for a FIOS?

something sounds odd.

I’ve got one of the predecessors to that racing... that color is a bit hard to sell. Ones been for sale here for awhile for lower. The pre racing Panda seems to hold value better then any of the other colors or racing’s.

kip595 likes this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 16, 2020

I would prefer a Speedmaster Moonwatch before either and wouldn't buy either after I bought my preferred watch... So I can't help you.

Foo2rama and Strangedream like this.
  6. kip595 Jan 16, 2020

The FOIS may have had more wear than I noticed; I didn't inspect either closely as neither interested me enough to consider a purchase, for the time being anyway.

*to note* This thread was just started for opinions, personally I DON'T have a vested interest in either one. Like I said above, the debate just got stuck in my head.

7. Wooden_spoon Jan 16, 2020

FOIS

8. funkright Jan 16, 2020

All will depreciate. I’d buy this one. In fact, I did. Not often seen in the wild. Nothing I’d rather have on my wrist. Also available in a white dialled version to :D

1BD630F0-DE75-4A64-A099-67AFADB51067.jpeg
    Walrus and ras47 like this.
  9. mjb Jan 17, 2020

I was recently in the market for the racing with the yellow highlights, and it does seem that there are still a few NOS laying around, unsold, and the used ones don't move either. Since they discontinued it, I assume that it was not a good seller. The FOIS is a good seller.

FWIW, I decided against the racing and bought a FSOTM for three times the money, you know, because.

So despite there being more around, the FOIS is (IMHO) more desirable, and will therefore be worth more in the future.

My opinion is, as always, worth exactly what you paid for it.

kip595 and Badwolf like this.
  10. Badwolf Jan 17, 2020

FOIS can be purchased very reasonably at the moment, probably because they made a good number of them. Many owners on the forum love them, and that is probably a good indication that they will grow in value at some stage. I think it's far more attractive than the racing, but I've got one, so I'm biased ;)

kip595 likes this.
  11. cholack Jan 18, 2020

Both will depreciate. Get the one you emotionally will connect with...you’ll lose more money flipping it in the end if it isn’t something you’re gonna keep

mjb likes this.
  12. kip595 Jan 18, 2020

...I think somehow I didn't clarify that this was just to see what people's thoughts were for hypothetical purposes...I AGREE that one should purchase what they connect with. I'M not planning to purchase either any time soon... ::facepalm1::

"What have I done...?" -Alec Guinness

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 18, 2020

Two words that will always get the wagons circling

And asking about two watches your not even interested in. ;)

I answered above my hypothetical

kip595 likes this.
  14. 64Wing Jan 18, 2020

2c2njn8qohj01.gif

One of my favorite films!!

SonnyUte and kip595 like this.
  15. kip595 Jan 18, 2020

Fair play, as a friend of mine would say. My first Speedy goal is a proper, traditional Pro before I worry about any of the quirkier editions. And yet then somehow I always find a different Seamaster, or maybe it finds me....:whistling:

PhilF likes this.
  16. whyboddau Jan 19, 2020

I think 10 years down the line a FOIS would have more value than the yellow racing. The space program aiming for Mars would help bolster the FOISpace nameplate anyway. The yellow racing wouldn’t have the same pedigree to fall back on. *Hypothetically of course

kip595 likes this.
  17. mjb Jan 19, 2020

I feel so used.. :(

kip595 likes this.
  18. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 19, 2020

The Speedmasters that stay firm are those with the 321/861/1861 movements and derivatives thereof. Others uniformly show greater depreciation. If it’s all about the coin, of those 2 I would expect the FOIS to show stronger residuals down the line.

whyboddau likes this.
  19. PhilF Jan 19, 2020

Gotta agree here, tradition, history and the proven movements are the long-term stabilizers. Look what the 60's&70's era's Speedmaster Professionals are currently bringing. The current 1861 movement Moonwatch could be a long term sleeper, especially if they change/upgrade it. The FOIS has both uniqueness and appeal, also smaller numbers produced. It's the traditional Speedmaster that seems to be the most universally loved.

20. Strangedream Jan 19, 2020

Unless an OF'er gets there first ;)

Anyways my vote goes to the FOIS.