Which speedmaster to throw around?

I started getting into vintage Omega & Girrard-Perregaux casually, but I've become very attached to my small handful of older watches. Instead of wearing these 24/7, I'd like to maintain their condition and get a modern watch to wear every day, at the pool, working on my motorcycles, cooking, etc.

Was thinking 2nd hand speedy, any recommendations on which to start looking at? I've started looking at the bottom of the price range, as I intend to wear this pretty aggressively & don't want to worry about it at all. I'd be grateful for any advice!

Speedy is probably not the best option for pool wear. I would find a more recent Seamaster, get it pressure tested and you have true go anywhere, do anything watch.

Just get a G-Shock. A used Speedy in decent condition will cost you at least 4k plus $750 to 1k in maintenance every 5-7 years. No point in trashing a luxury timepiece, even one that’s a tool watch.

Thanks for the feedback! Thinking around $3k as far as budget - I don't intend to trash it, just to wear it more aggressively than my antiques.

Seamaster. There are dozens of sharp looking ones out there. Many 300Ms should easily fit within your budget, and the heritage models can be had for a bit more. If you are looking for a bit more sporty, go pro. Slightly more classic, go heritage. Like @fiberguy I think the Seamaster is GADA.

If you really want a speedy then there should be mk IVs in your price range.

The Speedmaster Mk2 is pretty solid option. Feels more robust, has a good weight to it and being an automatic is fairly easy to just slap on a get on with your day to day activities

Not sure what your vintage watches are and what they are worth, but is buying a $3k Speedmaster as a “beater” really more economical? A lot of vintage Omega Seamasters aren’t worth more than $1k.

Not going to dissuade anyone from buying a Speedmaster if they want one, but just curious if ruining an old Speedmaster you buy used by going into the pool is worth it when you can get a good Seiko that is more water resistant for $300.

I started getting into vintage Omega & Girrard-Perregaux casually, but I've become very attached to my small handful of older watches. Instead of wearing these 24/7, I'd like to maintain their condition and get a modern watch to wear every day, at the pool, working on my motorcycles, cooking, etc.

Was thinking 2nd hand speedy, any recommendations on which to start looking at? I've started looking at the bottom of the price range, as I intend to wear this pretty aggressively & don't want to worry about it at all. I'd be grateful for any advice!
I rock a moonphase speedy

Wear a disposable watch. Your lifestyle tells me that a Speedmaster (or anything like it) is a bad move!

Depending on your budget is a speedy racing or reduced is in your “beater” watch price rand threats a good looking want to wear everything I think 2-3 grand range.

2254.50.00 Seamaster … solid option for wet work and with military pedigree

2254.50.00 Seamaster … solid option for wet work and with military pedigree
A great watch, all SMPs are, but I think it is a bit of a stretch to suggest it has military pedigree. It was a never an issued piece by any military AFAIK. Marketing releases such as Squadron Specials don't count, otherwise we would all be wearing Breitlings or Bremonts! Unless of course you mean in the sense it has direct lineage to the 60s Seamasters which actually were. There we agree.

A great watch, all SMPs are, but I think it is a bit of a stretch to suggest it has military pedigree. It was a never an issued piece by any military AFAIK. Marketing releases such as Squadron Specials don't count, otherwise we would all be wearing Breitlings or Bremonts! Unless of course you mean in the sense it has direct lineage to the 60s Seamasters which actually were. There we agree.

I was thinking Squadron inspired but agree that is not really an issued piece. Military spec inspired might be a fair description.
As a value proposition and from a form and function standpoint it could meet the OP’s needs…. And it has a saturation diving pedigree (on a safer seabed with that statement:0)

I don't disagree with anything you say, but I'd have more respect for that YT video if he actually had a clue when the 2254.50 was released, saying it was launched in the 'early 2000s' is pretty sloppy.

Note the watch shown above is not actually a 2254.50. It is quartz model, the lume is the wrong colour and the metal looks like titanium.
Edited:

Buy a shitbox Invicta……..you’ll enjoy trashing it!
I have one for this very purpose, it’s in appalling condition.
I use it when welding and grinding etc. It gets covered in dings, dents, gouges, scratches, pitts, weld spatter and grinding burns…..but the damned thing won’t die!
Edited:

I don't disagree with anything you say, but I'd have more respect for that YT video if he actually had a clue when the 2254.50 was released, saying it was launched in the 'early 2000s' is pretty sloppy. It's just badly researched click bait IMO.

Note the watch shown above is not actually a 2254.50. It is quartz model, the lume is the wrong colour and the metal looks like titanium.

Looks like someone got out of bed the wrong side..... again.

thanks everyone for the input. ended up with a 300 pro chronograph with the all-steel bezel!