Forums Latest Members
  1. Hattrick Aug 9, 2017

Hi again from not so sunny London , it is going to rain the whole day here so i thought it is a good time to ask what was on my mind for a couple of months now ....
    I have managed to " disguise " the purchase of my speedy back in january as a "investment/ inheritance for our 7 years old son" to my wife , who at first thought i am mad . I have continued to buy watches under the radar since , most expensive being a new Seiko sarx033 which i couldn't hide and in the process of buying, i expose her to different types of vintage watches until her words changed from " that looks like a grandpa watch " to " i like that, i would wear it " . As you probably know , it's not an easy thing to do ...
    I have went so far that i even got her an automatic(her first) a Fossil skeleton designer watch ( i wanted a Tissot but she preferred designer) .
    I have presented her with the idea of buying another vintage piece for our 6 month old daughter a couple of weeks ago and she entertained the idea . Now comes the difficult part... which one ?
    She really liked the Seamaster caliber 321, gold plated version that belonged to a member here . I have shown her the model because i really like the look , the size and the caliber . I prefer the ss version but she still needs some convincing . Another omega that i like , is the pie pan constellation . It seems like the seamaster is a bit scarce or not being offered for sale that often . Open for suggestions within the budget if you please.
    I am asking for guidance regarding which model to go after , and hopefully i will manage to find a good , honest example . The pictures are from ebay .
    Thank you for your time
    italian2,285.00.jpg
    Italian seamaster on auction sold for 2285 GBP
    gold plated 3675.jpg

It was on sale for 3675 and i was tempted
    my.jpg
    My sons speedmaster but i am taking care of it

Edited Aug 9, 2017
  2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 9, 2017

The Seamaster 321 is a solid choice...the challenging part is finding one where the gold cap is still in good condition and has no major wear through it.

Tik-Tok of Oz, Seaborg and Hattrick like this.
  3. Hattrick Aug 9, 2017

Or go for the ss version

4. Hattrick Aug 10, 2017

have i done something wrong again?

5. davten Aug 10, 2017

I vote seamaster 321 personally but bear in mind the height difference due to the movement. The Connie is much slimmer which I think will look better on a woman's wrist (also personal and subjective).
    Also, one of the things that makes the Seamaster 321 so attractive is the relative symmetry of the dial. For that reason I prefer the Connie with no date window.
    Oh and also, ask yourself, will the gold cap still be looking good on your daughter's wrist thirty years from now?

Hattrick likes this.
  6. Hattrick Aug 10, 2017

I agree .
    Thanks

7. Hattrick Aug 11, 2017

So , stainless steel with golden furniture pie pan ?

8. Seaborg Aug 11, 2017

Personally, I have gone for a solid gold Connie for my wife (and I am actually wearing it today :whistling:)...
    A Connie for the Star of your life is a good choice, in my opinion.

Hattrick likes this.
  9. Hattrick Aug 11, 2017

I agree.
    How about the future value vs a seamaster 321?

10. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 11, 2017

My darling got this for her last B-day and she's delighted about it even if the watch is as old as her mother :D

IMG_8289.JPG IMG_8313.JPG

Hattrick and Seaborg like this.
  11. Seaborg Aug 11, 2017

If you consider buying a solid gold watch in general (not only a Connie), I believe that its value will at least never be deplated in the future due to the increasing scarcity of available gold on Earth.
    Concerning the Seamaster 321 (gold plated or not), to my knowledge getting one of those can be tricky as these watches were not so valuable in the past, it is possible that the previous owners did not pay so much attention to their timekeeper and/or did not service the 321 regularly.

To conclude, I would go for a solid gold Connie as I personally suspect their value to increase in the future at least because of the intrisic gold used for the case...

Cheers.

Dr. R.

Hattrick likes this.
  12. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 11, 2017

IMHO this theory is only valid and worth it if you can buy the watch now at its intrinsic gold weight/price.

Hattrick likes this.
  13. Seaborg Aug 11, 2017

True.

What I meant was more that I have never seen solid gold watches prices decreasing and I do not suspect to see it in the future.

Hattrick likes this.
  14. Hattrick Aug 11, 2017

Looks really nice. I've tried pointing her towards lady size watches but she likes the ones over 35 mm from what i can tell

Ritzwatch and kov like this.
  15. Hattrick Aug 11, 2017

What you say makes a lot of sense but can a solid gold watch be daily wearer ?

16. Seaborg Aug 11, 2017

This is more a personal choice to wear or not a gold watch daily, so I can not give you an answer for you ;).

Technically, the problem I see with those watches as daily wearer would be their waterproofness that can be sometimes not "optimal"...

Cheers.

Hattrick likes this.
  17. Noddyman Aug 11, 2017

.... or gold capped with beads of rice bracelet. I prefer gold on a woman but maybe I am old fashioned!

Hattrick and Seaborg like this.
  18. Tom Dick and Harry Aug 11, 2017

The gold one I have personally seen and is simply outstanding, I don't believe there is a better example out there. It is being sold by MikeE a fellow forum member and an absolute font of knowledge.

You can't go wrong with a 321, I wear a 321 seamaster in 18k a lot, I blooming love it

IMG_7125.JPG

cristos71, marco, Edward53 and 4 others like this.
  19. Hattrick Aug 11, 2017

Wow

20. Hattrick Aug 11, 2017

I know @Spacefruit has or had a couple of them , maybe you can share your opinion?