Forums Latest Members
  1. shoqueGMT Mar 4, 2016

If I was looking to give an Omega watch as a wedding gift for the groom (in-law), what watch would you recommend and why?

I currently own a Seamaster Pro GMT. The preference would be for an automatic movement (no manual).

Thanks!

meganfox17 likes this.
  2. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Mar 4, 2016

Can't go wrong with an Aqua-Terra.

3. ConElPueblo Mar 4, 2016

...Budget? New or pre-owned? Vintage? Prefered metal?

4. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Mar 4, 2016

New Seamaster 300 master co axial would be first choice, i think it is very versatile , casual or dress, it can get wet...
    2nd choice would be automatic speedy ...

5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 4, 2016

Speedmaster Professional. Either brand new or one that is his birth year. You are really buying a watch for your grand child. :)

meganfox17 likes this.
  6. friendharry Mar 4, 2016

Globemaster

7. meganfox17 Mar 4, 2016

Exactly my thoughts . Totally in Sync with @Taddyangle
    You need to buy an Omega that will kickstart a Family Heirloom

You are thoughtful Gentleman ,full of Love but take some credit ok ? Engrave your initials & date on the backcasing. 50 yrs down the line your proud grandchildren & great grandchildren will still be glorifying your name !

Edited Mar 4, 2016
    Uniqez likes this.
  8. chich Mar 4, 2016

Unless it's your own watch being passed down, engraving your own initials seems a tad on the selfish/egotistical side. It's all about the groom, not about yourself - get his details engraved, although you can also add who it's from.

Saying that, most omegas have lovely designs on their case backs (if they're not crystal), so not much of an opportunity to engrave anyway.

9. Mad Cow Mar 4, 2016

Give him yours.

Basing on the information given, that can only be my answer.:thumbsup:

lutzG likes this.
  10. shoqueGMT Mar 4, 2016

Ha actually looking for new budget under 7k USD.
    Watch in steel.
    He's not a watch guy so, but that could change.

Ha, My SMP was a gift from my wife, so that's going nowhere.

KstateSkier likes this.
  11. shoqueGMT Mar 4, 2016

I was considering Speedy Pro, but from what i can tell he wouldn't want to deal with a manual wind. Co-axial 300 seems pretty nice too.

I may have to consider a Speedy Pro from my birth year though. That sounds awesome. :)

Taddyangle likes this.
  12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 4, 2016

Gold De ville?

image.png
    demollo, Alex_TA and Taddyangle like this.
  13. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 4, 2016

Yep, I forget not everybody thinks about watches the same way we all do, so I get how outsiders might not understand (appreciate) winding a watch daily.

Last think you want to hear is Dad the watch stopped working so I'm gonna take it in to have the battery replaced tomorrow.

14. shoqueGMT Mar 4, 2016

Yea seriously. I initially thought it would annoy me getting a manual watch but for a JLC I would put up with it. Now I actually enjoy it, and it's part of my daily routine to get up and wind the Reverso. I think it's great and gives you a more personal connection to watch now. I was explaining this to my sister and she was not amused.

And then the Speedy Pro has been on the moon and works in space! You can spare a few moments to wind the thing. *Reaction*: Nope don't care, sounds annoying.

15. ConElPueblo Mar 4, 2016

7K, steel?

Shame it has to be an Omega, I'd look at Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso or one of their other dress watches. I wouldn't want to put on a sports watch at a wedding (no, not even at an informal one...), but I know that a lot of people think differently :)

Omega's sports watches tend to go out of fashion sooner rather than later due to their constantly changing designs. The one exception is an exception because of exactly that.

16. ReturnOfUltraman Mar 4, 2016

If I'm recommending a watch for a wedding, it'd have to be a formal one hands down.
    Under the $7,000 range:
    1. Reverso
    2. DeVille
    3. Longines Master Collection

shoqueGMT likes this.
  17. shoqueGMT Mar 4, 2016

One could say a reverso is a sports watch too, given it's heritage ;). I LOVE my Reverso, but some people don't appreciate the aesthetics or care about the heritage.

I guess it doesn't have to be an Omega. Also it's a gift, that doesn't necessarily have to be worn at the wedding. I actually never considered a Longines. Ideally i was looking at the 3-5k range where an Auto Speedy would work?

18. ConElPueblo Mar 4, 2016

Touché, my man... Touché :D

Well... I'd love to be gifted a Montblanc Chronometrie, for instance. If you give away a Speedmaster Auto, the receipient will, at some point, stand at a watchmaker at service time screaming "HOW MUCH!?!" ;)

ReturnOfUltraman likes this.
  19. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 4, 2016

I know its well below your price point, but I had this watch and it was really a wonderful multi-purpose watch. I will acquire one again some day. It looks like Longines changed the strap, not sure it is is now rubber? It also comes in a HUGE box.

upload_2016-3-4_11-22-48.png

Gavlin and meganfox17 like this.
  20. Perseus Mar 4, 2016

My favorite Omega is the Seamaster 300.

meganfox17 likes this.