Which of these two modern divers would you choose?

The Mido Ocean Star for $1,350 or the Breitling Superocean Heritage 57 for $5,000?

MIDO_LE_6.jpg

a10370121b1a1-superocean-heritage-57-soldier.png

Before this morphs into a debate about all the other divers out there, both modern and vintage, please refer back to my original query company this particular Mido to the Breitling Superocean 57.
Comments comparing the two companies, Mido vs Breitling are certainly fair game.

Thanks for playing.

I like the Breitling over the Mido, but not at $3600 more. Plus the Mido has the GMT complication, so it would be the Mido for me.

I'm glad the Mido is in the 40.5mm case instead of the 44.5 of the normal Ocean Star GMTs. The looks of the Hodinkee edition don't quite grab me but hopefully it's a sign of things to come, as a $1400 flyer GMT is an exciting proposition and Mido's watches are actually pretty great.

For me, even though it's still a Sellita base I'm team Superocean 😀

Just such a wonderful reedition.

Personally I like the Breitling Superocean 57 more, but if you need the date and GMT hand, I guess the Mido makes sense. I'm not a fan of the red triangle on the Mido because it feels like they copied it from Rolex/Tudor but it looks good.

Esthetics alone, for some reason that tuxedo dial grabs me...I'm on the Mido side of the coin...I'm also a cheap bastard, so there's that!

Again, just on esthetices, the Mido appears better made and more functional. For example, the Mido dial and bezel are easier to read.

The Breitling indices at 12, 3,6 and 9 look like old TV dials with a vibe from the NY World's Fair. The hour feels over designed and doesn't match the minute hand.

Whereas the Mido is very balanced and easy to read. The hour markers elevate it and the contrasting white and black rails are attractive. And who doesn't love a splash of red. Lastly, the beefier lugs of the Mido look for tool watch.

Not even a close contest in my mind. But there’s no accounting for my poor taste.😉
Edited:

Ah, well, you left out a rather important variable!

Mido...

the design, GMT, overall vibology of it wins for me.

The Mido, but perhaps on a bracelet with curved head links if that's an option.

As someone that has a lot to do with yachts and boats, it’s amazing how many Brietling Super Oceans I have seen in the last few years…they must be doing something right in the yachting world.

Mido.

TBH not sure I really like it more, or if I dislike it less.
The Breitling is very all-black, but not in a Kiwi way.

Is there a version of the Mido with matching hour and minute hands? The mismatched set in the op watch is bothering me. Although I guess it refers back to the vintage rainbow diver so maybe I should just accept it.