Forums Latest Members

Which of these Jaeger LeCoultre Dials do you prefer?

1. pnwyankee May 1, 2020

I hope that JLC is considered a High-End Watch, because I would like to believe that one of these will turn out to be the most expensive watch I ever allow myself to purchase.
    I have discovered more than a half dozen of their models that would immediately become the nicest watch I own, but the following three are more in my budgetary comfort zone
    I go back and forth as to which Dial I find the most appealing and would enjoy hearing what the forum thinks.....
    ** I have decided that the perfect case size for my taste is between 38-40 mm

Thanks.

Master Control Date - for me, this one represents a classic, simple elegance

Control Date.jpg

Master Calendar - a bit more going on on this Dial, but not so much as to be "busy". The Red half circle framing

the date is a nice touch of color

JLC Master Calendar.png

Sector Dial - I like this one on the days when #1 seems a bit too plain and #2 a bit too busy - in other words kind of a compromise between the two

JLC Sector Dial.jpg

Readiness77 and Omegafanman like this.
  2. apsm100 applysome! May 1, 2020

It depends how you like to wear your watch. The sector dial can get away with a nato for dressing down. The other guys are kind of strictly leather and for dress up affairs.
    I vote sector if its my only watch!

Pun likes this.
  3. pnwyankee May 1, 2020

Not my only watch, just the nicest
    I like the idea of dressing down, but I just don't understand the appeal of a nato?

Spruce likes this.
  4. apsm100 applysome! May 1, 2020

Ah I see. Leather natos are an option too for dressing down. I've just always been a fan of nylon natos-- comfortable and diverse (also last forever saving leather bands)

In that case I'd go for the master calendar for a proper dress piece. :thumbsup:

pnwyankee likes this.
  5. Dan S May 1, 2020

Subjective opinion alert.

I like the calendar. The no-lume hands and dial look great, and the seconds sub-dial adds a really nice touch.

The Master Control Date has a bit too much open real estate for me, I'm not a huge fan of the date window, which makes the dial asymmetric, and the shape of the sweep hand doesn't appeal to me. As for the sector dial, it looks cartoonish to me, and the skeleton hands seem incomplete.

All three cases are a bit underwhelming for me unfortunately, with those stunted utilitarian lugs. I would really need to try them on the wrist. From just looking at photos, the ultra-thin models seem better proportioned.

Edited May 1, 2020
    ConElPueblo and pnwyankee like this.
  6. stuart70 May 3, 2020

I would have to go with the sector dial. Very legible and very classic you could wear it with anything’s. Understated in a good way.

pnwyankee likes this.
  7. TimeODanaos May 3, 2020

It is!

Readiness77 and pnwyankee like this.
  8. Explorador May 3, 2020

You are aware how subjective our opinions and how diverse our taste can be, wright?

But if you ask...

My favorite is clearly the master calendar. It shows a lot of useful information in a very discrete and outmost elegant way. The red date half-moon is a perfect colour accent.
    Second choice is the master control date. This is a purist-elegant time piece.
    The sector dial is way behind the other two for me, because it offers too little information in relationship to the readability of the dial and because it has skeleton hands, which are neither elegant nor "iluminative", since they lack super luminova.

But this is only my taste.
    Nice watches!!

pnwyankee likes this.
  9. sonicosa May 3, 2020

I like the Master Control Date best by far.

The aspect of that watch I don’t care for is the second hand. The contrast of the chunky counterweight and the uber-thin indicator side of the hand doesn’t appeal to me. Especially on a fairly minimalist watch like this, it throws the design’s balance off for me. My eye goes right to that chunky end of the second hand. Maybe it would be different in person.

I see the sector dial has the same hand. Do others like it? Maybe I’m missing something.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  10. timoss May 3, 2020

Sector is last choice. Tie for the other two.

11. NT931 May 3, 2020

Would you consider a Reverso? It's an iconic JLC watch.

12. sonicosa May 3, 2020

Reverso is pretty high on my list for my next major watch purchase. I saw one in a window on the plaza in Venice in the very early days of my watch interest. It immediately caught my eye and I knew I wanted to own one some day. I didn’t even know who JLC were before that point.

Readiness77 likes this.
  13. rootbeer7 May 4, 2020

Master calendar for me. Add the moonphase and that would be my dress-watch sorted. You can’t go wrong with any of those.

14. Charlemagne1333 May 4, 2020

Of the three, I would say the Master Control Date is the most versatile. It’s plain enough to wear as a dress watch, yet there are elements about it that would lend itself to a variety straps - depending how you feel, or the occasion
    I don’t think anybody could reasonably argue that JLC isn’t a ‘high-end’ watch. No doubt,owners of ultra expensive Vacheron Constantins may offer an objective argument, but it wouldn’t detract from the consensus that Jaeger-LeCoultre is considered to be high end

Readiness77 likes this.
  15. Fickle May 6, 2020

Out of those, first would be master calendar for me, I like the small seconds and red croissant.
    Last is the sector, I like it in pictures but in hand found it a bit flat and would prefer the Longines for a similar look.
    Considered a master moon? It’s in the 38-40mm range.

16. killer67 May 6, 2020

sector dial for me - has a JLC Memovox-ish look that I like

marco likes this.
  17. pnwyankee May 6, 2020

What does the Master Moon Dial look like and what is the price range for one?

18. atone May 6, 2020

love that first one. simple and understated

19. Rumar89 May 7, 2020

For what it’s worth, I’ve seen the sector dial in person and was quite smitten. The touches of blue on the dial are really captivating and it wears like a dream on the wrist. It’s a bit of an irreverent watch, with the empty syringe hands, and I like that it feels like it isn’t taking itself too seriously. It’s classic and timeless while still fun, which I think is lacking in the other two.

Readiness77 likes this.
  20. Fickle May 7, 2020

Well RRP is around AU$14k.
    Noticed your choices have numerals so also adding the Memovox as another alternative for you at around the same price.

31C86585-DC5C-4F2A-86F0-5B7BD3A178AF.jpeg C45F9578-625C-49AE-8F30-3006B8A58B69.jpeg
    Readiness77 likes this.