Forums Latest Members

Which of the following watch scenarios to you find more gratifying?

1. M'Bob Apr 30, 2018

For most collectors, an NOS example of anything one covets is certainly an exiting acquisition. However, on the flip side, you might be a bit hesitant to wear it regularly, for fear of damage and devaluation.

Lately, I have actually found that finding a really sharp example that needs a few important items to make right, is infinitely more fun overall as it prolongs the "hunt" phase (which is often arguably the best part), and then if you complete the project, the is a certain gratification by making it correct. Plus, I find that the ones you work hardest on become your "pets," the hardest to let go when the herd needs thinning. How 'bout you? Pull yourself away from less important tasks, like your job, and chime in...

Edited Apr 30, 2018
    dxholdren, Longbow, Mad Dog and 6 others like this.
  2. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Apr 30, 2018

Yes, there's definitely something in buying something that isn't perfect and having it put right. Feels like you're giving the watch back the love it deserves and agree can make it harder to part with as tend to bond with them more that way.

I have one such project at the moment all being well.

MobyDick, sdre and M'Bob like this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 30, 2018

I'd typically take "excellent" over NOS for the very reasons you mention.

MobyDick, Longbow, Mad Dog and 4 others like this.
  4. Oku Apr 30, 2018

Improving the imperfect watch would be much better with skills that allow you to do the improvement by your own!
    Unfortunately, I don't have these skills... :(

Mtek, Edantony and M'Bob like this.
  5. MaiLollo Apr 30, 2018

I never owned a NOS watch. I wear all of my pieces, and paying a NOS premium only to put scratches on the watch and lose the premium does not sound like a smart thing to do... Also, I've never found a NOS vintage speedmaster :D

MobyDick, M'Bob and Atalien2005 like this.
  6. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Apr 30, 2018

No interest in owning NOS.

About 4 times a month I place the Ed White, Gemini 4 and Straight Writing in the safe, as I can wear my other watches so these can stay safe and I won't need worry about dinging them up. I have been doing this for months and each time I put them away it only last for a few days. All this really does is magnify the watches I do not wear.

I have not worn the following in months (many):

The 20th Anniv, (love the bracelet, but why wear this when I have an Ed White, beater -71 and a SW
    None of the three JLC dress watches I own.
    The SM 300 MC (heck, I even forgot I had this watch)
    The Skyfall. I never wanted a watch more than I wanted this one. I love it. Will never sell it, yet I never wear it.

dxholdren, MobyDick, M'Bob and 2 others like this.
  7. Edantony Apr 30, 2018

Entirely agree. And not sure how to find a watchmaker that won't hack off an arm for his time

8. 77deluxe Apr 30, 2018

I like a watch with some history on the case. Feels more honest. It says someone appreciated it. And a good old parts hunt can be fun and bring you into the history of the watch.

M'Bob likes this.
  9. sdre Apr 30, 2018

I got my sm300 from eBay and had to jump through quite a few hoops to get it. I'm in the process of getting the hands sent to uk for fixing the holes. Looking for a tritium bezel to complete it. Got a 1171 bracelet for it.

There's already money and legwork spent on her. Definitely agree that the more effort u put into a watch, she's definitely worth keeping.

2DD14B91-0417-44E8-94FB-C13BD7950267.jpeg
    M'Bob, MaiLollo, Tet and 1 other person like this.
  10. GuiltyBoomerang Apr 30, 2018

I'd say that all the watches I've acquired have required some work, parts and/or service.

The ones I tend to sell are projects I can't afford to spend for more parts, or which I thought were good to wear and then realised weren't being worn at all.

The closest I've come to NOS is my second Titus Calypsomatic - excellent condition overall, with original bracelet and crown, but it is relumed, so it's currently for sale for someone else to wear...or put in a safe :p

M'Bob likes this.
  11. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 30, 2018

I am with Tony on this one. :thumbsup:

STANDY and M'Bob like this.
  12. ulackfocus Apr 30, 2018

NOS is the best trophy you can get after hunting for a specific watch. Box, hang tag, manual.... I used to want it all.

M'Bob likes this.
  13. roadsternet May 1, 2018

i prefer the scratches of a long life history

BRO_0655_zpspgkobdrv.jpg
  14. mr_yossarian May 1, 2018

Both have their pleasures. I brought a couple of Speedies back to life, one of them will clearly stay with me for that reason but also because it's attractive as hell and the condition is not NOS, but top notch though. Wearable? Yes. Fear of damaging it? Sometimes.
    I also have one that could be described as barely worn, pristine, undamaged and probably among the best 5% existing. It's simply amazing and wearing and looking at it is breathtaking. A totally different experience. Wearable? yes and I do.Fear of damaging? Absolutely.

Both though have something in common. Expensive and hard to replace parts. Coping with that is actually easy. Don't wear them when it's not appropriate to do so, keep them away from avoidable risks. And if you want one you can always wear, get a beaten piece..but even with those, you will also hate yourself when you damage them.

omegaswisst, M'Bob and sdre like this.
  15. ulackfocus May 1, 2018

Fair enough, but I prefer to put my own scratches on a watch and create it's history.

I've done PLENTY of project watches*, including taking the decrepit back from the brink of melting.

DSC00716-1-1.jpg
    IMG_6020-1.jpg

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/thread32748.html

*The correct wording would actually be "I've PAID FOR plenty of project watch restorations".

Edited May 1, 2018
    Longbow, M'Bob, kkt and 1 other person like this.
  16. Oku May 1, 2018

17. ulackfocus May 1, 2018

Blame Photobucket for that, not me. I refuse to pay their ransom.

NOTSHARP and jrhave2 like this.
  18. Oku May 1, 2018

I don't but it felt like you inflated a balloon and while handing it over you poked it with a needle...

ulackfocus likes this.
  19. Foxy100 May 1, 2018

I'm no fan of NOS or restored. I have a few restored watches and just lose interest in them. I bought a restored Big Blue and had the original bits put back on (and found a correct and slightly beaten up bezel here) and I feel a lot better about it now the case has picked up a few little dinks. I'd have much preferred it with the original case finish, even if it came with scratches, dinks and dents. I'm wearing my Autavia 2446 today, complete with decades of patina and sporting four incorrect chrono hands (anyone have a set of correct ones?!). I would imagine I wear it four or five times more often than my completely mint 2446C. The latter took a lot of work to get that good (including finding a NOS bezel for just over £200 delivered!) but I sometimes wish I'd left it as it arrived and just had the movement serviced. And 40 years of DNA washed off too.

[​IMG]

bardamu, adi4 and MaiLollo like this.
  20. MaiLollo May 2, 2018

So beautiful. I love this kind of watches as well