Forums Latest Members

Which Forstner Flat Link for a 1861?

1. FFabian Nov 6, 2021

Need help deciding which Forstner Flatlink bracelet to get. I have a 1861 SMP. Can’t decide between the brushed/polished and the fully brushed version. What did you get and why?

2. nicolamilton Nov 6, 2021

They were supposed to introduce a Flat link update.
    I'd check for that update.
    About polished/brushed, I'd say polished, because it's easy to brush in case you don't like it.

Lex_Lugga likes this.
  3. sleepyastronaut Nov 6, 2021

I was going to go with the fully brushed Uncle Seiko, to minimize visible scuffs, until I found a unused brushed/polished Forstner for sale second hand. Here's a few pics of it with Uncle end links on my KSK:

IMG_20210218_150420.jpg IMG_20210218_151027.jpg IMG_20210218_150525.jpg

ahartfie and Lex_Lugga like this.
  4. FFabian Nov 6, 2021

I think there is already an updated version out if I interpret this Fratello article right:
    https://www.fratellowatches.com/forstner-flat-link-bracelet-speedmaster-2021/#gref

nicolamilton likes this.
  5. G4_Chrono Nov 6, 2021

I chose the all brushed. I think it looks better and actually highlights the polished case details.

I like the Forstner bracelet for the screw links and the stretchy bit of the bracelet.

I do not like the solid end link - the curved shape looks odd between the lugs and the position of the spring bar hole causes the top bracelet links to bunch up and sit in a strange way.
    Also the finishing of the solid end link is poor and needs a quick file and polish of the tabs to avoid scratching the case. (hindsight :()
    I use the Uncle Seiko hollow end link instead - it has a flatter appearance and allows the bracelet to hang off the spring bar correctly.

I was also disappointed with the Forstner clasp - I use an Omega 1182/173 clasp instead.

The updated version may have solved some of my issues though.

All in all I love the all brushed Flat Link look and alternate it with the Uncle Seiko 1171. I am seriously considering a 1479 style Bracelet in Brushed/Polished now though!

sleepyastronaut and FFabian like this.
  6. Lex_Lugga Nov 6, 2021

The existing flatlink has indeed been updated since the original release. Improvements are changed screw system for sizing, clasp has been updated to be longer with a shorter inner folding part similar to the one on the Forstner 1450 as well.

They are planning on launching a modern more substantial flatlink with a milled clasp in the very near future according to their Instagram. It actually looks pretty awesome. Hoping the milled out clasp will be available for purchase separately but it’s supposed to be compatible with the original flatlink.

Per suggestion above you may want to hold off to see what the new one looks like before pulling the trigger.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ13-TDrIIS/?utm_medium=copy_link

Edited Nov 6, 2021
    nicolamilton and sleepyastronaut like this.
  7. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Nov 6, 2021

They are cheap enough to get both and decide on the fly…then change your mind again after some time…and again…etc :)

redzer007, oddboy and Lex_Lugga like this.
  8. Pazzo Nov 6, 2021

Which Forstner Flat Link for a 1861?

Easy.
    Uncle Seiko's flat-link. ..
    No tiny screws even if I have make do with no stretch links, something many wish US would do.

.. but there's also Uncle Seiko's 1479 bracelet to consider too.

Uncle Seiko likes this.
  9. FFabian Nov 7, 2021

So there’s version 3 in the making. Didn’t know that. Will hold off for now then. Too bad - I was pretty hyped up to pull the trigger though.

10. Lex_Lugga Nov 7, 2021

Well the new one will be more of a modern substantial bracelet. If you wanted a more vintage vibe/feel the existing is still worth considering.

Those who want the more vintage feel similar to the original omega flatlinks may still choose to go with the current one instead of the modern one even after it’s released.

Edited Nov 7, 2021
    FFabian likes this.
  11. G4_Chrono Nov 7, 2021

@Lex_Lugga The new milled clasp from Forstner looks great - I will be getting one of those when available.

@FFabian I would wait for the new Forstner, looks like release is imminent. In the meantime could try one of the other models available? . . 1171 . . 1479 . .

FFabian and Lex_Lugga like this.
  12. FFabian Nov 7, 2021

I want a good looking, functional alternative to the somewhat clunky 1861 OEM bracelet or the new, pricy and difficult to source 3861 OEM bracelet.

Fratello seems smitten with the Forstner bracelets as they publish a Forstner article every few days it seems ;)
    So I thought why not give a try. Only thing that bother me is that the exclusive EU distributor is in the UK FFS.

My initial impetus for starting this thread was a question of style (polished or not) because I have a hard time deciding such things. But good that I asked - will now wait for the new bracelet.

Yeah I really like the look the 1479 US bracelet. Kind of similar but different to the OEM bracelet ... and tapers to the clasp.

Edited Nov 7, 2021
    G4_Chrono likes this.
  13. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Nov 7, 2021

It is pricey but not difficult to source. I called up my boutique and they had both the brushed and brushed/polished in stock. Shipped it to me with free 2-day shipping.
    E8FF4DB0-8F21-4B59-A9AD-EC70D8CF8995.jpeg 6B6FC912-BD85-4BC6-91E2-8C8BB51C31AE.jpeg

I might be in a minority but I did not like the Forstners flat link or US. They are nice but felt too cheap and flimsy. I can see how others say they “have a vintage feel” but I much prefer my vintage Omega bracelets, which don’t feel that cheap. I ended selling both the Forstners and US bracelets.

Edited Nov 7, 2021
    ahartfie and MDubs like this.
  14. GoBlueJedi Nov 7, 2021

Seconded.

I reached out via the chat function on Omega's US website, and they had a boutique call me since there isn't one nearby. I think I snagged mine back in May? It wasn't an issue at all.

15. FFabian Nov 8, 2021

How much did you pay?

16. GoBlueJedi Nov 8, 2021

US$680, plus tax. For me, it was US$727.60 total. Shipping was free, and it made it from Florida to Boston in 2 days.

FFabian likes this.
  17. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Nov 8, 2021

Yup, this is how much I paid as well

18. 502 to right Nov 11, 2021

Oh my. That's a game changer. I like the Forstner bracelets and own a couple, but I'm not a big fan of the old school stamped clasp unless it's going on a truly vintage watch,