Forums Latest Members
  1. desertwanderer May 5, 2022

Ive been mulling over a low cost outdoors watch option for knocking about with. One i wont mind picking up the odd knock but still carries some history, looks, functionality etc. Ive always liked the Alpinist, particularly in green. My local AD seems to have 3 versions available all of which have their own unique appeal.
    Any thoughts from anyone who has tried these or owns any of these?
    Im aware how terrible the faux leather straps are from simply trying them on.

9F695990-3349-479B-963F-E7798BD36C00.jpg
  2. KnoP May 5, 2022

is the PAM an option as well? personally i own such one but no Seiko...
    The pam is a "heart" watch for me because it was my first ever mechanical!

desertwanderer likes this.
  3. Danwales May 5, 2022

I have a Sarb017 and I like the watch. It makes a great everyday wearer. And the history is interesting. The shade of green is actually based on a shade used on a 90s Mini Cooper.

4. FlatTop May 5, 2022

I much prefer the 1959 re-interpretation design (the middle one) personally. The strap is leather (won't be the finest quality, of course) but there is an OEM bracelet (from the other colour variants) available.

Fallout Boy and desertwanderer like this.
  5. Savirde May 5, 2022

I first bought the SPB155, then swapped it out for the SPB121 for its slightly larger size and more utilitarian look. I wear it to work, and I work with my hands, so I wanted an all-rounder watch that will wear the inevitable scratches and dings better. I considered the SPB155 the more dressier option.

6. desertwanderer May 6, 2022

I already own the PAM which i love and wear regularly outside of my desk job. Its been a great watch for the last 4 years or so but even on a rubber strap i wouldnt want to take it on a mountain trek or a bike ride or throwing it in my sports bag while i train etc. So just wanted something cheaper but still robust for when i dont want to take a $10k watch out with me.

KnoP likes this.
  7. desertwanderer May 6, 2022

'
    Interesting, I saw the 155 first and thought it had an explorer vibe about it. Then when i went back and saw the other two watches i thought for sure the Laurel version had a much dressier dial and case shape and the 121 dial was a bit duller but obviously had that utilitarian compass on it. Not sure why they try and put the faux brown strap on the 121 in an attempt to dress it up, a bracelet from uncle seiko maybe would complete the look better.
    Did you change the strap om the 121 for something else?

Edited May 6, 2022
  8. desertwanderer May 6, 2022

Yeah i like the history in any watch so it for sure does make the 017/121 appealing. I didnt know that about the colour.
    What have you done about the strap? kept the original or swapped it out?

9. desertwanderer May 6, 2022

For sure i prefer the hands on the laurel and the dial is absolutely stunning when you see it first hand. Only downsides for me are the markers and the case shape make it looks less like a sports watch to me. It also looks the biggest watch of the 3 to the naked eye because of the case shape. Being able to swap the strap for a seiko bracelet is a good point.

Decisions decisions!

In an ideal world i would take the Laurel hands and dial finish, with the 155 markers and numbers, the 121 case shape but only 12mm thickness and the bracelet from the 155..... Sadly that watch doesnt exist hence my lack of a clear decision! :confused:

10. Savirde May 6, 2022

Yes, I kept the bracelet from the 155 and put it on the 121. I also never really considered the Laurel Alpinist because I don't like its aesthetics. I would probably view that as the dressiest option between the three. Here's a quick picture of the 121 sitting on it's cushion:

20220506_025759.jpg
  11. desertwanderer May 6, 2022

Nice! Im liking that a lot.
    Good to know that the 155 bracelet fits well on this model, really changes the look.

12. Savirde May 6, 2022

Regarding the bracelet, you or may not find an optimal fit because it only has two micro-adjustment holes, and maybe what appears to be somewhat of a half-link (not sure, I've attached a picture below).

Luckily, I managed to find a great fit on my 7-inch wrist using the micro-adjustment holes. There are people who have opted for a strapcode bracelet over the Seiko one, which has a noticeably bigger clasp with 6 or 7 micro-adjustment positions IIRC.

20220506_061515.jpg
  13. desertwanderer May 6, 2022

Top Tip! Yes that looks like it would work no problem. Uncle Seiko does a couple with similar clasps also.
    Its hot and humid here for half the year so i need some form of micro adjustment for sure.

14. Danwales May 6, 2022

I ditched the stock strap straight away and put it on a nice tan leather Rios 1931 strap. I intend to get an Uncle Seiko BOR for it though which I think will be great.
    St

15. desertwanderer May 8, 2022

Got any pictures of the Rios strap on the watch?

16. desertwanderer May 8, 2022

So in the end i went back at the weekend and bought the classic 121 model. The baby Alpinist had some problem with the mechanism and the Laurel just looked too dressy for what i wanted... decision made!
    Also ordered the OEM bracelet (pricey!) which will hopefully fit ok. Still in the hunt for replacement straps as the OEM one is soo bad even wearing it for just one day ive had enough.
    Thanks for all the comments and contributions you helped me out there.

IMG_2690.JPG
    Savirde and CPRwatch like this.
  17. Danwales May 12, 2022

Screenshot_20220512-215841_Gallery.jpg

18. Stripey May 12, 2022

I would like one of these, except to my eyes, the bezels never line up properly?

19. Savirde May 12, 2022

It does wind up moving a little, but I just interpreted that as a minor thing as I think I'd want to adjust the compass somewhat regularly anyway, in regards to using the sun's position and heading in the correct direction.

20. desertwanderer May 12, 2022

Do you mean the compass? Which is supposed to move. Its weak point i find is that its a little too free moving. Would have liked to see a slight ratchet introduced really so once you had set it against the sun it stayed where it is unless you chose to move it using the 2nd crown. i find i catch it currently when i wind or move the watch around. Its a weak point but then again im not sure when i will really use the compass in anger given the fact we all have mobile phones and normally know where we are going.