Forums Latest Members
  1. persco Aug 9, 2014

My father has always wanted an Omega Seamaster circa 1958-62 (or so). 1959 was the year he graduated high school. And he'd really wanted an Omega as a graduation gift. My grandparents got him a black dialed Elgin instead. They didn't have a lot of money, and an Omega would have been an extravagant gift, especially for a kid like my father. He was prone to getting in trouble and wasn't the best student. But after years of watching him take good care of his Elgin, my grandmother once told him she wished she had given him the watch he wanted.

When I was growing up, I remember he wore the Elgin until the late 1980s. But I only recently found out he'd always wanted an Omega. A black-dialed Seamaster. He told me a few nights ago as he was admiring my Seamaster 300.

I'd like to find him a nice example and surprise him with it, either for Christmas or for his next birthday (his 75th). My problem is, while I know quite a lot about modern watches, I know just about nothing when it comes to the vintage Omegas. I intend to watch out here for one to come up, instead of eBay where the thieves and fakers lurk. But any advice would be greatly appreciated, including any well-known sellers of vintage watches.

Thanks!

homebrw, lenny, Dablitzer and 3 others like this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 9, 2014

Here's a nice looking Omega Constellation from 1959:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Mens-...411732464?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item19f0a81ff0Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Everything looks original on this watch to me. The dial does have minor lacquer issues, which almost all original dials from this era have.

I don't know your budget, but if this is in the range, I'd recommend making an offer of $850 to $900 and see if the seller accepts. Market price for these is around $1,000 or so right now, so you may need to go a little higher.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. Pasbru Aug 9, 2014

Yes, please check the sales forum here best bet for sure, and hopefully you get lucky. Nice gesture by the way :thumbsup:

4. persco Aug 10, 2014

Thanks gatorcpa. That one looks pretty nice. But I'd like to find him a black dialed Seamaster if possible. But your advice around price is just about what I thought (as a pure guess). So that's good news! Thank you.

5. persco Aug 14, 2014

I think I have found what I was looking for thanks to a member here. I should have it in a week or so... Then I'll surprise my father with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 14, 2014

Nice! :thumbsup:

I'm sure he'll love it.
    gatorcpa