Forums Latest Members
  1. jlwillia May 2, 2018

I have a birth year Speedy Pro (145.022) with a cal. 861 movement circa 1985 with all original hands, dial, and bracelet. I need to get it serviced, but unfortunately, the lume on the hands has started to crack a bit. That means Nesbit's won't do the service without replacing the hands. However, I really want to keep the original hands and dial even though they're not in the greatest shape.

Is there any respected watchmakers out there that will service a (relatively) vintage Speedy Pro and put the original hands back on the watch after the service? Does anyone have any advice? Should I just bite the bullet and have them replace the hands with new ones? If I do that, should I just replace the dial too, since at that point it's not original anyway? On the one hand, I doubt the 145.022 with 861 movement will ever be THAT rare or valuable, so it's not like replacing the dial and hands will kill the value. On the other hand, part of the reason I wanted a birth year watch was the vintage look, which includes the old dial and hands.

This is my first vintage watch I didn't realize it would be so difficult to have it serviced while keeping it all original.

Edit: I'm in the US and willing to send it to any reputable watchmaker in the CONUS.

Edited May 2, 2018
  2. Davidt May 2, 2018

You mentioned Nesbitts. Are you in the US?

jlwillia likes this.
  3. ulackfocus May 2, 2018

Wow, it's a good thing you specified the watch is a Speedmaster Profressional, because that takes special talent and a knowledge of voodoo which your average skilled watchmaker doesn't have, where all other regular vintage watches are secondary and any old hack tinkerer would do.

4. jlwillia May 2, 2018

Yes, I am. I don't have any trusted watchmakers near me, so I understand I'll be shipping it.

5. Davidt May 2, 2018

Right you are. It's worth mentioning what country you're in(and possibly what area) as we're a global forum. I'm in the UK so can't help with a recommendation but someone will chip in.

6. jlwillia May 2, 2018

I'm new here. I guess every forum has to have its trolls.

Edited May 2, 2018
  7. jlwillia May 2, 2018

Good point. Thank you!

8. Enchanted May 2, 2018

Have you try searching by zip code here: http://www.awci.com/ you might get some names and then you can do a little research on the watchmaker.

9. Canuck May 2, 2018

Yes. And unfortunately, we have a troll here.

10. ulackfocus May 2, 2018

Fortunate or unfortunate depends on your outlook. If you're a stuffy codger, then it's unfortunate.

..... for you, that is.

ps - I'm certainly not the only one, just the best.

marco and vbrad26 like this.
  11. Canuck May 2, 2018

Many on this MB don’t look at that as being a virtue!

Tritium likes this.
  12. amanson May 2, 2018

If it were me, I would keep the dial and hands as-is.

13. jlwillia May 2, 2018

Yes, that's what my preference is. However, I can't seem to find a reputable watchmaker in the US that will service it and keep the original hands and dial. Any suggestions?

14. ulackfocus May 2, 2018

Many do.... or at least the fun ones with a sense of humor. The others you speak of just need to pull the stick out of their ::censored::.

(oh yes I did!)

How far are you willing to ship? Do you need to keep it within the CONUS or is Canada a viable option?

dennisthemenace likes this.
  15. jlwillia May 2, 2018

"How far are you willing to ship? Do you need to keep it within the CONUS or is Canada a viable option?"

I would prefer to keep it CONUS, but I'd ship to Canada if there's a reputable watchmaker there that would do a full service and keep the original hands as they are.

16. jB1128 May 2, 2018

I would encourage you to get in touch with Kelly Hunter in Portland, OR.

He has worked on five of my watches, and recently completed a full takedown service and rehab on my birth year Speedy (145.022-76). He is extremely thorough, will do only the work asked of him and is always sure that there is complete clarity and alignment on the work prior to starting.

He can be contacted through his website at: http://artofthewatch.com (check out the services page!).

17. river rat May 2, 2018

I am in the same position living in MT there's only one watch repair person in Bozeman and no clock repair person I would trust in the whole state. When in Calif. there were so many good watchmakers and clockmakers. Now I ship stuff out for repair and service on most stuff and some I will let the local guy do depending what it is. If your on the east coast contact Zaf at classic watch his repair guy serviced my Junghans German issued BUND chronograph and did a nice job. If you are near the west coast I tried this guy Chronodeco who service my German issued Hanhart 417 chronograph he won't do another Hanhart even though he did a great job on it but a lot of Heuer vintage collectors send there chronographs to him he mite be able to handle a speedy. Hope that helps.
    http://www.classicwatch.com/vintage-watch-repair/
    http://chronodeco.com/

18. ndgal May 2, 2018

Replacing the dial will absolutely kill the value.

Send the watch to LA Watchworks.
    They will service the movement and they can even stabilize the lume on the hands.

They are one of the best shops in the biz when it comes to vintage watch service & restoration.

19. ulackfocus May 2, 2018

I think he's a member here using the screen name that's something like sbergman or similar.

20. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan May 3, 2018

He's not a 'fakkin' troll! He's our Squirrel and he's just taking the piss! We do a lot of that here.:)

marco likes this.