Forums Latest Members

Where to sell used high-end fountain pens?

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 6, 2021

I’m leaning towards eBay but also thinking it might be hard because the three really good pens I have have no box and papers and are used which may cause authenticity concerns on eBay, I paid a lot for them when I was working on my handwriting and envisioned using them every day but its been years since they were last inked up and with them gathering dust I really need to move them on.

Any suggestions of the best forums / dealers / sales platforms for used pens?

2. connieseamaster Feb 6, 2021

Reddit has a subreddit: r/Pen_Swap that is a pretty solid sales forum. It's a bit rare to see pens over $1kUS, but sub $500 pens are common

akshayluc420 likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 6, 2021

Pics would help us advise.

To many a BIC or kilometrico is a good pen.

Fritz and JwRosenthal like this.
  4. JwRosenthal Feb 6, 2021

I have the same issue- inherited a nice collection several years ago of LE 90’s era Duofolds, MB etc. not a pen guy (I like them and have used a few but not a “pen guy”) and don’t want to join a forum just to sell them as I don’t have any interest in “learning” about them. Akin to the hit&run sellers here and don’t want to be that guy.

I proposed a hobby swap here once upon a time for exactly this kind of thing but it was shot down (for good reason- I get it, we don’t want to look like a flea market). I have done a few barter deals with some members here for hobby-to-watches and it has worked out for both parties.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 6, 2021

Don’t have pics handy but Montblanc Patron of the Arts Copernicus 4810 LE, Cartier Louis Cartier LE 1997, Pelikan M805 solid blue LE, I think all are around or above a grand or so

JwRosenthal likes this.
  6. timoss Feb 6, 2021

I’ve sold several on eBay over the years without issue. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Wryfox likes this.
  7. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Feb 7, 2021

8. GrouchoM Feb 8, 2021

9. MTROIS Feb 8, 2021

Why not have a "Non-watches For Sale" sub-forum around here?
    An important element of buying "on-line" is buying the seller, so we the reputation that we have already established around here, it would definitely be my interest to seeing a "flea market" from OFers as suggested above.

Since @Trev is really not THAT busy these days, I am sure he will be able to think about this new project. :rolleyes:

wristpirate and JwRosenthal like this.
  10. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 8, 2021

Ash, there must be a fair bit of overlap in interests between watches and nice pens. As noted above, how about listing them here?

JwRosenthal likes this.
  11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 8, 2021

it’s actually something I’ve thought about in the past, I just don’t know where to draw the line though as watchmakers tools, winders, fountain pens, maybe even handbags make sense and fit.

But then someone is going to list a fridge. And not a good fridge but a 1980s one that smells like expired curry with shagged out seals. Then when I say to that bloke yea the rooted fridge isn’t really a good fit for the site he’ll be like “yea but you let Bruce list a Beagle”.

12. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Feb 8, 2021

No point!....::confused2:: Nobody knows how to write anymore mate! :D And if they do it's just a line of "Text speak" or fakkinn riddles in the form of acronyms!!! :mad:
    This is where they are heading with written communication!
    download.jpeg

Edited Feb 8, 2021
    Farmer, SouthernScot and STANDY like this.
  13. MTROIS Feb 8, 2021

Fair point, as always.
    But collectibles, luxury items and, why not, cars, could be a great option.

14. JwRosenthal Feb 8, 2021

Yes, but was it Marlon Brando’s fridge? Because that would pair well with his clapped out GMT! Perhaps Paul Newman’s used toothpaste tube that was fished from his trash, and there has got to be some trade value in Steve McQueens’s soiled underwear that he wore during Bullit.

MTROIS likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 8, 2021

But those shagged out seals are original!!!!!

Scarecrow Boat and JwRosenthal like this.
  16. JwRosenthal Feb 8, 2021

I get that we don’t want this place to look like Craigslist- it would just be an interesting idea to see how it could be framed without turning it into dumpster diving.

MTROIS likes this.
  17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 8, 2021

LE glass works ?
    93B30FAC-BD10-43FB-BA41-228F4F814177.jpeg

I can delete if someone has issues with dinosaurs

18. asrnj77 Feb 8, 2021

There is a section to sell pens on WUS. You can list something there or else start a new category here like others mentioned.

19. Professor Feb 10, 2021

Was that the pair he was wearing when the motorcyclist wandered into the chase scene and was almost killed? They kept that in the film.

20. JwRosenthal Feb 10, 2021

They kept his soiled underwear in the film?? ;)