Forums Latest Members

eBay to combat counterfeit high-end goods

1. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 16, 2017

12.jpg
    Image Credit: (PRNewsfoto/eBay Inc.)

eBay launches authentication service to combat counterfeit high-end goods

Ecommerce giant eBay has launched a previously announced service designed to combat the scourge of fake goods on the platform.

eBay has proven popular with fake goods’ sellers for some time, with fashion accessories and jewelry featuring highly on counterfeiters’ agenda. The company announced eBay Authenticate way back in January with a broad focus on giving “high-end” goods an official stamp of approval prior to sale. Ultimately designed to encourage buyers to part with cash on expensive items, it uses a network of professional authenticators who take physical receipt of a seller’s products, validates them, and then photographs, lists, and ships the goods to the successful buyer.

For today’s launch of eBay Authenticate, the service is only available for luxury handbags from 12 brands, including Chanel, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Prada, and Valentino, though the program will be expanded to cover other luxury goods and brands from next year.

Full article here : https://venturebeat.com/2017/10/16/...service-to-combat-high-end-counterfeit-goods/

Hope Omega will join this initiative quickly. Still I'm asking myself how efficient it will be considering the market size and the number of offers per day.

AveConscientia likes this.
  2. OmegaLover Omega, please be my Valentine! Oct 16, 2017

Another useless thing from eBay that will never work

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 16, 2017

Yup

Watches have to many variables to do this with legal ramifications on that scale.

Justme and ConElPueblo like this.
  4. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 16, 2017

+1

"sellers can use eBay Authenticate to shift handbags valued at more than $500, and they will receive 80 percent of the final selling price"

A non-starter for sure

5. jakeh417 Oct 16, 2017

I feel like they are going to dig that bad ebay user experience hole even deeper. They will not get a lot of the items right, claims will be filed, which will be back logged, and delays will happen. This screams bad user experience before it even starts. In the end consumers lose, because they wasted time and money.

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 16, 2017

I think eBay will be the listed seller. Or the Authenticator. Think through how the system works. You send the bag to an Authenticator, they take the pictures. Then you get 80% of the sales price.

I don't really see delays as eBay is not doing it, but the network of Authenticators. I think adoption will be low but will help stave off the lawsuits that keep being brought against eBay for allowing the sale of fake goods. "Hey don't sue us we are trying" defense.

7. ConElPueblo Oct 16, 2017

I think that OF should offer the same service for vintage watches... We could do it on a time-share basis - think of it! One week I'll receive a shitload of old watches, look at them and go "Yup, that's an Omega - on the 'Bay you go!" and the next week it could be @kov or @Foo2rama! We'd be swimming in millions in no time!

It would basically be what online dealers do at the moment, only competently.

lando, heavenscloud, khmt2 and 5 others like this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 16, 2017

This might be part of my project kinda.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  9. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Oct 16, 2017

I think we should be concerned that eBay may eventually make it mandatory to have any high value watch authenticated by them before allowing you to sell it on their platform. Essentially you'll be held hostage to whatever fee they decide to charge with obvious implications if you choose to use them. This is also assuming authenticators are competent in luxury watches esp vintages.

Andy K likes this.
  10. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Oct 16, 2017

FAKE NEWS!

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 16, 2017

12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 16, 2017

Screw that ... I’ll just sell here, the Dink or Crown and Caliber.

13. Sublime_1 Oct 16, 2017

Looks like it's opt in? If I'm reading this correctly you send " a network of industry experts" the item and they certify, post/sell it, and ship it. Easy peasy; I bet a lot of people use this service.
    I can imagine that meeting went: "I have a great idea. I know how we can cover our asses and make a ton of money..."

14. OmegaLover Omega, please be my Valentine! Oct 16, 2017

This is unreal

15. panaitchrono Oct 17, 2017

I also think this will not work..to many items, to difficult to spot and track fake ones. I think they will only spot the one which other eBay members report.

16. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Oct 17, 2017

2FE66326-4652-476F-BC80-2BC874059EFE.jpeg Ebay cannot be trying too hard to combat fakes. This has been up for days and even has replica in bold letters in the title.

Edited Oct 17, 2017
  17. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Oct 17, 2017

Some EU countries even plan to introduce taxes on eBay transactions... also for the average collector :(

18. WatchVaultNYC Oct 17, 2017

This is interesting. They are competing against Poshmark, which also take 20% off and do free authentication of goods above $500.

Pros:
    - Ebay does the listing and photos, at costs the same as competitors who dont

Cons:
    - Since you send the goods to Ebay, you can't sell the item in multiple venues.

IMHO, an OK idea, as long as you can control pricing. Should be a money-maker for Ebay, targeting individual sellers

I have a significant investment in a business that does pre-owned handbags. I'll suggest they try this out, just to see how it goes.

19. heavenscloud Oct 17, 2017

I don't think this person understands what an investment is ::facepalm2::

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 17, 2017

Did you see the chart on the link I posted?

They have 2 competitors and at least how they present it they beat or match both prices, and over the same or more services.

I see it in handbags, they are a commodity.