Forums Latest Members
  1. jayrock26 Dec 14, 2015

hi guys!

im in the market for a 145.012 which is my dream/grail watch however the prices are getting a little rediculous especially where im in Canada and the exchange rate is all but gone to well you know..

not really into paying 8500+ CAD for a non perfect example

any suggestions on Canadian sources or cheaper examples on the market that arent molested?

thanks in advance!

2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Dec 14, 2015

Maybe you have an Uncle?

3. jayrock26 Dec 14, 2015

hahaha , no inheritances in this family. Canada seems to be scarce for mechanical timepieces from what i have seen

4. calalum Dec 14, 2015

Not sure about others here, but virtually everything that I buy comes from far away, via online and/or phone negotiations, online searches, etc. There are some vintage dealers in my city but I don't love their prices so I do a lot of searching and chasing. I could be at the North Pole (or probably even Canada) and my pursuit strategies would be the same.

bazamu, Bienne2998 and oddboy like this.
  5. Prash15 Dec 14, 2015

are you from the lower mainland area?

6. jayrock26 Dec 14, 2015

ive done lots of research just wondering if theres some places i missed maybe where i could find them.

im in the maritimes of canada east coast! its a matter of currency more so than proximity for me to be honest

7. sjg22 Dec 14, 2015

I'm in Canada as well and I doubt there's a golden fount of reasonably priced vintage Speedies otherwise the more wise and seasoned veteran members of this forum would likely be scooping them all up.

The majority of my more interesting acquisitions have come from constantly searching a variety of sources.

Most notably:
    eBay (1675 GMT-Master, IWC 3537 alarm with JLC movement, Bvlgari Diagono Scuba chronograph, NOMOS Tangente),

Searching various forum sales sections via watch recon.com (Seamaster 300, Heuer 1000) or,

Auctions (most recently, all original Speedmaster 'straight writing' - forum post on this to come as it's an interesting story how I tracked this down at auction for $1,600).

All of that is suggesting that you need to be patient, constantly looking (essentially working harder than most given the extra costs of buying with Canadian dollars), looking via multiple sources and, well read and researched in terms of what you're buying so that can confidently pounce on good deals.

Not an expert by any stretch, but my very modest collection, all bought carefully at prices I liked, comes from a lot of work.

bazamu, Prash15 and oddboy like this.
  8. Prash15 Dec 14, 2015

was just wondering, because there are some local dealers in the Vancouver area who have a bunch of vintage omegas. A friend of mine recently bought a 67 145.012 locally. Just have to be patient and find the right source, certainly wont be a walk in the park to find one locally though. IMG_2436.JPG

the 67 on the left is my friend's example, with my 861 straight text on the right.

A more clear shot of the 67:

IMG_2437.JPG

9. Prash15 Dec 14, 2015

Regarding pricing, I didn't want to ask what he actually paid, but of course buying locally means more bargaining power. Try finding a watch club in your area, maybe some local collector wants to sell his or trade it for a different watch.

10. grizzlycanuck Dec 14, 2015

I am, any tips on where they are for me in the lower mainland ? [emoji16]. Most sales are in US $ I find.

I think deals are few and far between locally. Most of my buys take lots of legwork and research. And patience.

Unfortunately market price is what it is. The Internet is a great tool, but Google works for sellers too!

Happy hunting!

11. bvertz Dec 14, 2015

Time machine to 2012?

12. jayrock26 Dec 14, 2015

helpfull information SJG! ill be sure to check ebay more and do some research.

Prash do you happen to know the name of the dealer/store? i could possibly contact them and make a deal over email if need be

13. ibis888 Dec 15, 2015

There's one for sale over in the for sale forum right now (Kringkily), and I think Spacefruit just sold an honest one.

Examples in really nice condition don't seem to pop up very much though.

14. ping pong patina Dec 15, 2015

tough to find a 321 these days.....I am still looking for my Ed White even though I have the 14501267

15. jayrock26 Dec 15, 2015

ill just have to keep a hawkeye on different sites for the time being and hope the amrket smartens up the dollar is horrific!

thanks for the help guys :)