Forums Latest Members
  1. Amaury HR Sep 15, 2020

Hello, I own a 145.009 Omega Chronostop, however, the watchmaker I took it to said that to repair my movement it would likely cost $800 and that he couldn’t guarantee the use of genuine parts. I know that this is an uncommon complication since it is a single pusher 60 second chronograph (almost really a stop watch) If anyone has any advice as to where I could source a movement for this piece I would be very interested

2. Canuck Sep 15, 2020

You need to be in touch with a watchmaker who has a parts account with Omega, in order to confirm whether NOS parts might still be available. It is difficult to contemplate which parts might be replaced with after market parts.

Amaury HR likes this.
  3. Sherbie Sep 15, 2020

I’d get a second opinion from a watchmaker with an omega parts account

Amaury HR likes this.
  4. SkunkPrince Sep 15, 2020

You can also get factory service but it will likely be about the same amount because it's a chronograph and if you care about collectability, that might not be your best choice.

I have used Nesbit's in Seattle with great success.

Gettting a new movement is not possible, so not worth bothering with.

5. Amaury HR Sep 15, 2020

yeah I was hoping to find an old movement that someone was selling due to some other part on their watch having broken. Thank you though!

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 15, 2020

You can find almost anything on eBay with some patience.

Mark020, Caliber561 and Amaury HR like this.
  7. SkunkPrince Sep 15, 2020

You are entirely correct and I agree with you, I've waited ten years to find a specific trumpet... but as my watchmaker always tells me, what you find is likely no better than what you have.

Caliber561 and Amaury HR like this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 15, 2020

Parts are still available from Omega, so there’s really no reason to go searching for a donor movement (that also might have the same parts worn inside it), so you just need the right watchmaker.

Cheers, Al

9. perks713 Sep 15, 2020

Depending on what kind of sentimental value the watch has, or what you may have purchased it for... You might be able to find a watch in working order for less than it'll cost you to repair.

I paid about $300 for one. Spent about 3x that fixing it. Wore it daily for over a year. Love the watch, but just thinking about my financial investment and what I could sell it for today, I should have cut my losses and found a better example. They're really fun watches, I'm really happy to have one in my 'collection'.

Amaury HR likes this.
  10. Canuck Sep 15, 2020

I feel that, if you service what you have, you know what you have when you’re done. Why take pot luck on buying someone else’s watch in hope it is batter than yours. Go that route, and you will have TWO watches that need repair, rather than one. I suggest you think about it.

11. perks713 Sep 15, 2020

100% - I've just seen a few nice ones pass through the forum since I bought mine for really nice prices.

12. DON Sep 15, 2020

Can't just stick any parts in there. If you know what needs to be replaced. Everything except two parts are still available from parts suppliers.

Some parts are not cheap. In fact. You can buy a whole movement for less than what a balance wheel costs.

If you just need a minor part. You should be OK. Any major part. Best to check Ebay which seems to have quite a number listed

DON

Amaury HR likes this.
  13. Amaury HR Sep 15, 2020

I am actually into the watch for $0, it was gifted to me by an older watch collector that knows I am trying to build my Vintage omega collection. He warned me that it would likely cost as much to get it fixed as it would to buy one in working order but I’m going to give it a good effort to get it repaired. With the advice I have received from the forum members I’m going to go around to some local watch makers and get a second opinion. Thank you for the help!

Mark020 likes this.
  14. SkunkPrince Sep 15, 2020

Don't be afraid to send it off somewhere.

Amaury HR likes this.
  15. perks713 Sep 18, 2020

That's perfect, and putting the money into the watch will likely up it's sentimental value a bunch. Like I mentioned, it's a great watch, absolutely love mine!