Forums Latest Members

When is a franken not a franken ?

1. Steve Apr 16, 2012

I've been meaning to post this thread for a while.
    I have owned my Omega Speedmaster for a few years now, and have posted it as WRUW a few times as - 'Speedmaster with Broad Arrow hands'.
    The reason I label it as such is because as a few of you may have noticed its not a genuine Broad Arrow, but as stated A speedmaster with Broad Arrow Hands.
    I even sent it off to Omega Southampton to find out its history. The watch was returned free of charge in a very nice glasses style case.
    They said the movement (cal 861) collates with the case, so the serial number of the movement matched the serial number on the case, The hesalite crystal and the moon watch dial are in place, but they stated the bezel is not original, should be the black Tachymetre instead of the stainless steel Tachymetre base, there has been a clear back case fitted and the fingers should be 'stick' hands, not arrow.
    Now does this fall into 'franken' territory, or just a watch with a few modifications ??.
    Is it like fitting a full stainless steel exhaust system on your car or fancy alloys to make it look nicer, or can you compare it to welding 2 cars together ???.
    Be nice to know your opinions.. good or bad..
    Here is my Speedmaster with Broad Arrow hands...:)...please be kind..

Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg

2. ulackfocus Apr 16, 2012

Technically it is a franken. 30 or 40 years from now this is a watch that the next generation's Hoi, Mike, gator, Desmond, Tommy, Kyle, me, etc, would pick apart if a person was asking about originality. However, who thinks about what their watch will be worth in 40 freakin' years according to a bunch of nitpicky colllectors? ;) If you like the modified version more than the original than enjoy it. If you owned it from new, it's best to keep the original parts so the watch can be returned to it's proper specs if it's sold.

If you think about what was just said, doesn't it make you want to buy some different stuff to change your watch and put the original dial, hands, and bezel insert away in a cool, dark, dry place? :p

Burrellnl and Trev like this.
  3. Steve Apr 16, 2012

I said be kind ...I knew you'd rip it to bits !!:p
    I have thought about having black bezel refitted. I do like the dial, got some nice patina going on, and I like the Broad Arrow hands. If I had the stick hands and black bezel refitted would that still be classed as a franken, or an original watch with new original parts replaced ?. One thing Omega never told me, was the model. Not sure if it started life as a Moon watch or the reduced model ?.

Burrellnl likes this.
  4. ulackfocus Apr 16, 2012

The automatic reduced models are a smaller diameter case so I doubt it was one of them.

If you like it who cares what any one else thinks? As long as you don't try to pass it off as original when you sell it then you're fine.

ps - that was me being nice. :taunt:

5. Trev The Architect Staff Member Apr 16, 2012

It looks nice as-is. I'd just keep a spare set of original hands/bezel as Dennis mentioned. Then your options are wide-open for a future sale or whatever else. :)

6. ulackfocus Apr 16, 2012

Realized I need to add this: there's no law against 'frankening' a watch. Lots of Seiko owners do mods, so much so that there are companies dedicated to making the parts (ie: Yobokies). Franken might be too strong of a term for this and suggests deception. The word is better suited to somebody less than honest when selling a watch, particularly a vintage one, made from parts.

7. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Apr 16, 2012

Looks good! But I would take it a step further and get those hands lumed to match the color of the dial...:D

8. Steve Apr 17, 2012

Thanks guys. I might in time revert it back to the original Moon watch. There's still enough money in the watch for me to do that.
    Thanks Dennis for being kind :D, you know I would never pass it off as being a Broad Arrow, thats why i've always posted as 'Speedmaster with Broad Arrow hands'.
    I do agree Franken is maybe a touch to strong, after all its only the bezel and fingers that have been changed, and the back case.
    Who's got a set of old stick fingers they want to sell.. ??:)

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 17, 2012

Caseback is a fine upgrade, and IMO can be considered on a Speedmaster to be an aftermarket option, just like fitting a strap to a 3570.50 (which should have a bracelet on it). Bezel can be borderline, like in the case of aftermarket diamond bezels on Rolex Day-Dates but in this case I'd call it a franken, purely because it makes the watch appear to be something it isn't.

I think that's the key difference, a franken is a watch that looks like something it isn't. Straps and displaybacks, and aftermarket diamond bezels are options.

10. a1watch Apr 17, 2012

I agree with Dennis here, If you like it, its all that really counts as long as ^^^ what Dennis said....
    I would like to add one more thing, there are several instances where a part is no longer available or been superseded, IMO those situations, I do not believe you can call the piece a franken even though it is not 100% It would merely be a repaired or updated for lack of any other words....I believe that honesty here is the key especially if dealing with a sale.

11. Steve Apr 17, 2012

I have no plans to sell, Plus I would never pass it off as something else, I've been a member here long enough to understand that dishonesty, lying and cheating is a big no no in the watch world !.
    Thanks again for all your input.

12. ulackfocus Apr 17, 2012

Yes, leave that for stock brokers and used car salesmen. :D

13. rbird7282 Apr 17, 2012

I agree with others that the term franken implies some dishonesty regarding representation of the watch for sale. I would call it a custom Speedmaster and continue to enjoy it.

14. Steve Apr 18, 2012

Omega called it a hybrid.

15. seamonster Respectable Member Apr 18, 2012

Respectable Member ulackfocus

Permit me to add one more to your list: real estate agent

To Respectable Member Steve: however attractive a watch may look, after some addition or subtraction, I would rather a factory-original one, however unattractive it may look. Unfortunately, I have yet to come across an unattractive factory-original example.

In my humble opinion, the beauty of a watch, vintage or contemporary, lies in its originality.

Thank you.