Forums Latest Members
  1. donkii May 27, 2015

just buy whatever watches you can find!

Well, that's not entirely true, but...

My interest in watches has over the years had its ups and downs, and one might think that one should not force themselves to get out of these slumps and just let time heal and allow the interest to take its course.

I have over the years handled this differently but something that really helped me to find the embers and appreciate this interest is do shake things around a bit and now and then just run wild and buy a lot of fun and maybe a little different clocks, watches I might not usually buy.

Breitling is a brand I have had difficulties with over the years, especially the new more modern watches. So I made a quick buy on an Aerospace and it was really something I would not have bought if you asked me a month ago. However, I can appreciate this watch, fun technology, many functions controlled by the crown, and no unnecessary buttons. Made of titanium and weighs absolutely nothing. Thanks to the quartz movement it's also very thin. Something Breitling also succeeded with its AR, simply a fun clock that I'm really enjoying.

DSC01085.JPG

Panerai, I have had several, but my arms are like spaghettis, so it has never really worked out between us, but for some reason I always find back to this brand and last week I managed to buy a PAM001 from an incredibly unserious Italian trader.
    However, I love these watches when their shape is unlike many others, it is actually really good on the arm and stand out from the crowd, in a good way. A simple shut the fuck up watch ;)

[​IMG]

Then we have one of the worlds, in my opinion, best brands, Universal Geneve. I have a secret love for this brand but for some reason I have not bought a "Nina", which after all is one of my must haves before I die. Sadly, the prices of these masterpieces bolted like a herd of buffalo being chased by Indians so that dream is far away today. However, there are always other things to buy when it comes to this amazing brand. Since I'm Swedish, the sights were turned towards the Polerouter and that's because of the models history. OSAS or SAS as they call themselves today, wanted a clock that stood against the magnetic field when they for the first time started a regular route over the north pole from Scandinavia to the United States, their choice was to contact Universal Geneve and the Polerouter were born in -54.. Simply for that reason, the Polerouter was bought. The watch is fantastic but I don't really wear or even like these type of watches but bought one anyway, stupidity? YES! But I can't say I regret the purchase because it's all about exploring new angles of this great interest of ours :)

[​IMG]
    DSC01102.JPG

A brand that I think both me, you and the majority of other slipping back to now and then is Rolex, I have had 7 or 8 Explorer II and bought now my ninth? Explorer II .. Some love hate relationship is going on here. It is not a simple clock in any way but a very simple clock to like and perhaps that's why I try and try and hope that true love someday will occur.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last but not least, I like vintage and can admit that I hated the new Seamaster when it was launched. Why should you persist with this fake patina lume of a modern watch. Do I need to say what I did? Of course I bought one, mostly to try, see what I think and feel, and I have to admit, I love it. I think they have managed to capture the essens of the original in a tasteful way, without humiliating the original. It sits comfortably on the wrist, the bezel shines and illuminates even the grayest of days. A fantastic watch that I hope more skeptics choose to try.

DSC01094.JPG Omega SM300.jpg
    [​IMG]

So the past week is summarized with these purchases and what do I really want with this post? I do not know, just write a bit about how my interest works from time to time and to hear how you look at your interest when you end up in the deepest of depressions.

Good job for making it this far tho and sorry for the grammatical issues, have a great day!

Collection.jpg

Edited May 27, 2015
    Bienne2998, x3no, Dogmann and 6 others like this.
  2. lillatroll May 27, 2015

Interesting post, I have been wondering what will happen when I get the watches I really want and wether I will maintain a general intrest in watches or just enjoy the watches that I own. Are these watches your entire collection or just the ones you have bought recently? I like all of them apart from the breitling which I think are too fussy for my personal taste. In some ways I am happy that my personal collection will take some years to aquire and that I have to wait because I only have a relatively small watch fund.
    lykke til videre med samlingen.

3. donkii May 27, 2015

These are just some watches I bought for now, to shake things up a bit. I have some other pieces as well but nothing that really tickles..
    I wouldn't say that I'm a collector or something, if someone asked I would say "trysexuall" haha.. I like to try different brands and modells from different time periods and so on.. But after a while, when the curiosity kicks in, it's time to sell and go on a hunt..

I'm like you, I have a small budget which makes it hard to keep all the watches so I have to sell from time to time.. I can still find it a little boring to have the same watch day in and day out so I'm guessing that I'm a little restless as well and that's a problem when it comes down to owning watches for me. I like the hunt of the watch and the hunt can give me more then actually owning the watch, when the hunt is over the thrill is almost gone and sometimes when the watch arrives it turns out that the watch actually was better in pictures then in real life and so on.

I've owned pretty much all of the watch brands out there and if I were to choose some models it would be the late 50s Railmaster or Seamaster together with some Heuers from the 70's, UG Compax, early Blancpain FF and of course early Submariners from like the 60's. Heuer is by far my favorite brand of them all but now when the prices are rising the interest is starting to decrease a bit.. I think that's why I have a little depression in my "collecting"..

How about you? During these periods where you have to save up for the next purchase, how do you keep up interest when the prices is moving up and all you can do is actually save, save and save money for the big purchase?

4. lillatroll May 27, 2015

I am quite lucky in that I only really focus on collecting omega watches from the late 60s and 70s. I decided early on that I would focus on Omega watches because otherwise I would be going mad with the credit card. I bought my first vintage watch in 2009 but only recently decided to buy more vintage watches. As I am "new" to collecting I am happy to read up on watches and learn about them. I also collect first edition books, which is a much cheaper hobby so I can focus on that while saving money. I am also,lucky that the watches I want to buy have limited appeal so the prices dont rise to quickly, I am glad I don t want a speedy.

What part of sweden do you live in? My brother lives just outside of Gothenburg, I lived in Norway for 16 years and my Wife is from Finland.

5. donkii May 28, 2015

I hope that your interest can stay on that small path, it can sometimes be a lot easier for the wallet :) How did you come up with the idea of just Omegas when there are hundreds of cool brands out there? What models is of your interest and what do you have in the collection today?

I live up in the north, Östersund, 275km from Trondheim. Do you live in Finland today?

6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 28, 2015

If you decide to flip the Polerouter, let me know.....

7. donkii May 28, 2015

It's been out for sale a couple of days here on the forum. I did actually sell it yesterday, sorry.

8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 28, 2015

WHoops!
    Id seen it at €950 and didnt think about it again.

donkii likes this.
  9. lillatroll May 28, 2015

The first vintage watch I bought was an omega, and after looking at the many cool watches they have from the 60s and 70s I found there were many models that I wanted to own. I often look at Tag watches, Rolex and Panerai etc and there are many of them I would like to buy but I figure that with my watch fund being only 3-4 grand a year I would stick to buying one brand.
    So far I have a 1968 chronostop with rotating bezel, a 69 chronostop driver, an omega banana a 70 geneva dynamic, a 73 geneva megahertz and a constellation megaquartz. I have a few more 70s models that I want to collect and a PO and the re issue Bullhead.

Today we live in Kuwait, a far cry from the cold north of Scandinavia although we are planning to move again next year, just not sure where yet. i lived in Trondheim for 5 years, my ex studied at NTNU. It was cold but dry, unlike Bergen which was cold but wet. Kuwait is just hot, 46 degrees today.

10. Traveler May 28, 2015

:rolleyes:

11. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job May 28, 2015

Good idea for a new thread! But probably more for the audience at WatchUSeek...:)
    I feel like I operate the opposite way. When I got my "one and only, end it here" watch, my next purchase (so much for one and only) was for a watch identical to one I had sold a few years ago. So basically, instead of stoking an old flame with new-to-me unusual and unlikely watches, I immediately started up with some old favorites reminiscent of models I had sold in the past. My "want list" is made up of a few that I have owned before: Tudor Big Block, IWC Porsche Design Titan chrono, pre-moon cal. 321 Speedmaster, Patek Calatrava 5296, Longines Conquest cal. 19AS, Omega Connie C-case cal. 564., Movado Datron chrono...Sadly, my watch fund grows slowly. It took 30 years to get my Patek Nautilus chrono. Well, technically the 5980 has been around for only 9 years but you get what I mean...
    Might be a couple decades before I get that Calatrava back!