Forums Latest Members

When having watches in a collection box

1. OmegaRody Dec 26, 2020

Do you keep the boxes if you had put your watches in a collection slot box?

2. Evitzee Dec 26, 2020

I always keep the original boxes, paperwork and any other ephemera that came with the watch.

3. Capt Cave Man Dec 26, 2020

I have kept everything received when purchased, fortunately I the space in an office cabinet or two to keep it all stored away.

OmegaRody likes this.
  4. OmegaRody Dec 26, 2020

Ok I think papers and cards is default to keep but wanted to know about boxes.

5. OmegaRody Dec 26, 2020

Even the watch collection box, (if you have one)in the office?

Edited Dec 26, 2020
  6. Thrasher36 Dec 26, 2020

I keep everything and fully document each watch in a word doc. with photos and any pdfs or scans of paperwork..Everything

Toishome, OmegaRody and apsm100 like this.
  7. Marsimaxam Dec 26, 2020

I keep everything and I often wished that all the people that owned my vintage watches in the past had kept all of their boxes and papers.

Be considerate to the next generation.

kkt and OmegaRody like this.
  8. OmegaRody Dec 26, 2020

Maybe it was a space consideration. Also if its a rolex or other high end brand better sell than throw away.

9. RI Omega Fan Dec 26, 2020

Keep it all.

(As an aside, “OmegaRody”, are you in Rhode Island?)

10. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Dec 26, 2020

I've binned the boxes and paperwork on any new watches I bought, perhaps because I place so little value on them when compared to my properly old stuff.

janice&fred and OmegaRody like this.
  11. OmegaRody Dec 26, 2020

No, why?

12. DNX Dec 26, 2020

I keep it all inc. photos and paperwork copies - found during a recent theft that both the police and especially insurance want to see this, further take photos of your watch (watches) on special occasions throughout the year say at birthday parties or Xmas - so that the insurance can see it is your watch and you have worn it and the photos will show you aging so its indisputable - makes any insurance claim so much easier to have all the info and evidence available.

13. RI Omega Fan Dec 26, 2020

“Little Rhody” is a nickname for Rhode Island, the smallest state in the US. Just thought you might be a neighbor :).

OmegaRody likes this.
  14. Professor Dec 27, 2020

I kept the box my childhood Zorro watch came in for over half a century, then when I dug the watch out to restore it the box simply fell apart in my hands.
    Too bad since I have no doubt such a box in excellent condition might well be worth many times what the watches themselves are.

I have the inner and outer boxes my Dad's Omega deVille came in, along with warranty and all other paper work.

I would say that the beautifully designed art deco resin or bakelite boxes of the pre 1960's high and medium high end watches were often kept long after the watch itself bit the dust. I have a nice resin Bulova watch with my Mom's old watch from pre WW2.

PS
    I've kept the boxes my Orient and Eco Drive watches came in. The Orient box is very nicely made. The Citizen factory refurb box is very simple but sturdy.
    If I get a display box for multiple watches it will have to be one I can hang on the wall, out of reach of the cats.
    My Mau is so jealous of anything I show attention to that he kicked an Enfield rifle off my bed onto the floor. The youngest female cat is twice his size and has tried to drag my bows off their racks.

Edited Dec 27, 2020
    OmegaRody likes this.