Forums Latest Members

When 3 Guys from OF Met @ Tokyo (pic heavy)

1. aap Jun 18, 2017

A few months ago, @jordn and I agreed to meet up at Tokyo. I really planned to spend my 40th birthday here (it's my last night here before flying home) while J also wanted to go around June. We quickly bugged @Dre to join us, with J even bribing him, from what I recall.

I flew in June 8, Dre and his friend, Angus, arrived on June 16 (on my bday, which was also a day after his bday) and J early June 17.

Our agreed watch day was yesterday, June 17. That morning, Dre, Angus & Jordan went to check out Jack Road as it opened (without me ::censored:: ). I met the three of them somewhere in Shibuya and quickly checked out our first store - Item.

IMG_9464.JPG IMG_9465.JPG IMG_9466.JPG IMG_9473.JPG IMG_9475.JPG IMG_9476.JPG IMG_9477.JPG

After Item, we settled down to gather our bearings, have lunch, a couple of beers and share some of our own watches.

I marveled at Jordan's:
    IMG_9488.JPG

IMG_9489.JPG IMG_9490.JPG IMG_9491.JPG

Dre's Angelus:
    IMG_9497.JPG

Angus' spider web Pole Chronometer (which he got from Dre):
    IMG_9498.JPG

I brought three of my Polerouters, two of which are very special - my first ever UG, which I got from Jordan and the broad arrow I bought from Dre. I brought these two specifically to have a picture of me with the two wearing the said watches again. Here's the pic, Jordan, Me (wearing my black Pole which I got from a successful WTB post here courtesy of @Interstellar) and Dre:
    IMG_9501 copy.JPG

Oh, you guys wanna see our faces? Here you go:
    IMG_9503 copy.JPG

Here were all the Poles we had on us, including Dre's new tropical dial Pole (second from the right):
    IMG_9506.JPG

We then headed out to go to our next store, Curious Curio. But before that:
    IMG_9510.JPG (My Tri-Compax, Dre's UG-powered Jaeger, Angus' Chronometre Pole & Jordan's Rolex)

Here were some of the watches on display at Curious Curio:
    IMG_9515.JPG IMG_9516.JPG IMG_9519.JPG IMG_9538.JPG IMG_9539.JPG IMG_9540.JPG IMG_9543.JPG

The place was laid back, the owner, Hiro San was very accommodating and the lighting was perfect, so we ended up hanging out for quite some time, allowing us to check out our own watches.

I finally got to see Jordan's:
    IMG_9520.JPG IMG_9522.JPG IMG_9523.JPG

Angus':

IMG_9532.JPG IMG_9548.JPG IMG_9547.JPG

Dre's Universal Geneve madness:
    IMG_9560.JPG IMG_9562.JPG IMG_9565.JPG IMG_9561.JPG

Hiro San got into the fun and pulled a couple of his Tri-Compax watches for a group shot:
    IMG_9552.JPG IMG_9556.JPG

We then headed to Private Eyes, where we had a planned GTG with a few people - Endo San (Private Eyes' owner), Takuya San (tchrono on IG) and Eric (jewpanese.dude on IG aka "the guy who found the US$3000 Nina Rindt).

Eric's Heuer:
    IMG_9573.JPG

Endo asked us not to post pics of the watches he showed as they weren't on the website yet as most of them were fresh from his recent US and Germany buying trips. But, needless to say, he blew our minds with a bunch of awesome watches that included a Climate Proof UG Compax, a bunch of Eberhards, that included a Rattrapante, a gold Longines 30CH with tear-drop lugs, Omega 33.3, a couple of Lemania 15TLs, a Tissot 15TL and a beautiful black dial anonymous Val 22. I'm sure I missed a bunch of the other watches. I leave it to Jordan and Dre to fill in some of the blanks.

Although taking pics in the main store areas were allowed, I only got to take this:
    IMG_9615.JPG

Here's Endo unrolling another case filled with goodies:
    IMG_9611.JPG

IMG_9604copy.jpg

After several rolls of watches, we were treated to some of Taku's gems (fortunately, he gave permission to post his watches). Endo introduced the watches by saying: "Now, it's the Taku show..." then teased "but his watches are not for sale!" ::bleh::

The lighting was a bit harsh in the private room we were in, so these pics do not do justice to these babies:

IMG_9632.JPG IMG_9633.JPG IMG_9634.JPG IMG_9637.JPG IMG_9647.JPG IMG_9648.JPG

And then, a bunch of his UGs:
    IMG_9659.JPG IMG_9641.JPG
    This Compur has a rose gold bezel matching the rose gold hands. These pictures are not even an iota of how beautiful this watch is:
    IMG_9642.JPG IMG_9644.JPG
    And oh, just a Colonial that Jordan claims to be the best he's seen:
    IMG_9646.JPG IMG_9652.JPG IMG_9653.JPG

A group shot (L-R): me, Taku, Angus, Endo, Maeda (Endo's assistant), Dre, Jordan and Eric:
    IMG_9608copy.jpg
    It is also interesting to point out the multicultural/national mix of our group. You had a Filipino, four Japanese natives, one American living in Japan for over twenty years, two Australians (one born in China and another from Indonesia) and an American from South Korea.

We left Private Eyes a little after 8 with Eric. Walking to the train, Dre and I stopped by a 7-Eleven as I bought one of his UGs and he had to do a quick strap change:
    IMG_9663.JPG

Dre, Angus, Jordan, Eric and I boarded the train, but they all went down a stop earlier to have dinner and drinks together as I had to go meet another friend for dinner and drinks. I was hoping I could still catch up to the guys as they ended up drinking some more after Eric left them. But I was too drunk myself to follow them.

This morning, the three went straight to Osaka as I spent my last full day here in Tokyo with my family, walking around on a rainy Sunday here at Shibuya, wearing the new watch I got from Dre:
    FullSizeRenderAAA.jpg

Edited Jun 19, 2017
    Woops, Longbow, Lucasssssss and 69 others like this.
  2. Interstellar Jun 18, 2017

Awesome story with awesome company. [emoji3]

aap likes this.
  3. RJwatches Jun 18, 2017

Great topic, really enjoyed it!

Btw, is it me, or is that 2915 really not that expensive at 36k euros?::shy::

grizzlycanuck, Foo2rama and aap like this.
  4. khmt2 Jun 18, 2017

Epic! And again, so much wows! ::love::::love::::love::  Hope one day I'll have the chance to meet the folks and see some of the beauties above! :)

aap likes this.
  5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 18, 2017

Excellent report, A! And congratulations on the pretty UG.

Syrte and aap like this.
  6. aap Jun 18, 2017

Yes, it was EPIC man! It's not too late for you to meet up with Jordan and Andre. They're staying here for another week!

7. aap Jun 18, 2017

Thanks T!

8. Riviera Paradise Jun 18, 2017

Wow, what a great Sunday read....loved the report and the watches!:thumbsup: Love Eric's Autavia and the gorgeous UGs.::love::

I visited Tokyo late Feb this year, but with my wife and our two children...so practically zero time to look at watches! Still had a wonderful time!

Might be going back there on a business trip some time this year, so I will definitely arrange some time to see watches if that opportunity arises.:)

aap likes this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 18, 2017

Note to self: When in Tokyo, make sure Mrs S is chaperoning. Epic tale gents. Great pics.

aap likes this.
  10. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jun 18, 2017

Perhaps if it had the correct dial and bezel it would be priced higher.::facepalm1::
    Great pics guys. Thanks for the thread.!

Edited Jun 18, 2017
  11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 18, 2017

fantastic!!!!

aap likes this.
  12. billving Jun 18, 2017

Wonderful story and pics. Thanks for sharing

aap likes this.
  13. cristos71 Jun 18, 2017

Awesome watches there, looks like a fantastic time had by all :)

Nathan1967 and aap like this.
  14. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 18, 2017

Cool story, awesome watches.
    Although many of those are stunning, that Compur with the rose gold bezel and hands and sandwich dial takes the prize IMHO.
    First time i see a Blancpain 50 fathoms milspec identified as "French navy" though ::confused2::::confused2::. They're supposed to be US military watches.
    At that price you'd think they would double check.

Mods and aap like this.
  15. Jonatan Jun 18, 2017

Thanks for sharing all those pictures @aap. I was following you guys on IG and wish I could have been there. Amazing watches and it looks like you guys had a good time.

aap likes this.
  16. Rumar89 Jun 18, 2017

I have got to get to Japan. Thanks for sharing the tale and the pics, looks incredible!

aap likes this.
  17. aap Jun 18, 2017

Yeah, you should have gone with us! Maybe sometime in the future :)

18. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jun 18, 2017

Great stuff. I'll be heading there in December...can't wait! :)

aap likes this.
  19. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Jun 18, 2017

Looks like you guys had a blast. Happy belated to you and @Dre. I followed your few days together on Instagram as well. Glad to see you managed to pick up the compax too!:cool:

Dre and aap like this.
  20. sjg22 Jun 18, 2017

Incredible- looks like I'm going to have to track down a copy of Sala and find me a Tri-Compax after seeing these photos...

aap likes this.