Forums Latest Members

What's wrong with my JLC Reverso 270.1.54 and what to do?

1. Vizard Jan 11, 2022

Hi All

I bought my Reverso from a dealer and it was fresh from JLC service. Accordingly I was not massively delighted that it was running +22 / day. But I thought I'd put up with it, rather than going to the trouble of returning it for repair.

In the past few days, it has been running +35.

It also has significant positional variations (15-20 seconds), and has had since I got it.

Amplitude is 180-320 and beat error 0.1.

Demagging makes no difference.

So, any guesses what is going on?

Does anyone know how long JLC (UK) is taking to return watches at the moment? I am really reluctant to send it back if it will be away months.

Many thanks.

2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 11, 2022

Immaterial of the time JLC may take and you have proof of service I would send it back.

Scarecrow Boat, Dan S and impalla62ss like this.
  3. Canuck Jan 11, 2022

Did the dealer provide any proof that the repair was actually done by JLC? If not, you’d be within your rights to ask for proof. If it was done by JLC, you have few options but to send it to them. If it was NOT done by JLC, same goes. Ask the dealer to foot the cost of a JLC service. You ask us “what is going on”. How could we know?

Edited Jan 11, 2022
  4. Evitzee Jan 11, 2022

Reminds me of "What's Going On?" by Marvin Gaye, great song.

Dan S and sleepyastronaut like this.
  5. Axel Brass Jan 11, 2022

Did you check if the watch is magnetized?

Use the Lepsi app on your phone. It worked great for me on the iPhone.

6. Dan S Jan 11, 2022

I don't think I really listened to the words until the last few years, but now it's incredibly powerful to me. Such a gentle, but haunting, protest.

Archer and Larry S like this.
  7. Canuck Jan 11, 2022

The poster specified that he had run it through a demagnetizer, and it made no difference (surprise, surprise!)

8. Vizard Jan 12, 2022

Morning (here) all. Yes I have the JLC service paperwork.

I may have to return it then.

Anyone with technical knowledge care to comment on what could be going awry please?

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 12, 2022

Probably used the wrong lubricant on the differential girdlespring.

As you know, you can't use just any old oil, only the specified Moebius DGL9010 (Northern Hemisphere) or 0109LGD (Southern Hemisphere) is required.

Are you sure they didn't use 0109LDG by mistake?

ChiefMark, Dries, ahartfie and 4 others like this.
  10. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jan 12, 2022

Hemisphere?

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 12, 2022

Yes.

The differential girdlespring reacts differently in the Southern Hemisphere compared to the standard variations encountered in the Northern Hemisphere, therefore Moebius developed specific formulas for each of these regions.

Service centres based in equatorial countries use either, according to their customer's travel patterns.

12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 12, 2022

I think you are going to need to send it to JLC. You spent a lot of time finding one you like so invest the time and a bit of cash in a proper service. I’d give the dealer a good chewing out, but I would not ask him to service it again.

13. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jan 12, 2022

That's really interesting.
    I service simple watches for a hobby but never heard of a differential girdlespring. Where can I learn more about it? Can you elaborate?

ahartfie likes this.
  14. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jan 12, 2022

Looking at the Moebius numbers I now realize you are being tongue in cheek!!! ;):taunt::thumbsup:

15. Canuck Jan 12, 2022

Could also be caused by a faulty drawn reciprocating dingle arm!

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 12, 2022

It's all ball bearings these days...

ChiefMark and sleepyastronaut like this.
  17. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 12, 2022

The London Richemont Service Facility is very busy at present. I asked my pal who works there on a sister brand to JLC and he thinks turn around with JLC is around 10 weeks. It may be quicker for a rectification not requiring a refinish. I don't think you have an alternative unfortunately, they are the best people to fix it and it sounds like it is their problem if it is still under their service warranty.

Larry S likes this.
  18. Evitzee Jan 12, 2022

I think a 10 week turnaround is considered good performance these days. I sent my wife's Rolex in to the Dallas SC on Sept 30th for a complete service which included refinishing the well worn case and bracelet, they quoted a return date in Feb/Mar 2022 based on workload. But I was surprised to be contacted in early Dec saying it was finished. From date of mailing until returned it was exactly 10 weeks. So Rolex underpromised and overperformed, which is always preferable.

ChiefMark, padders and Larry S like this.
  19. Vizard Jan 13, 2022

I think I might try having a moan at JLC customer service and see if I can get some commitment to a swift turnaround.

Larry S likes this.
  20. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 13, 2022

Do you have paperwork showing that this was indeed serviced by Richemont? If so that moan might work.