Forums Latest Members
  1. Majesty Aug 19, 2019

Hello everyone,
    I'm pretty new to the world of watches, but I've been introduced through my unexpected obsession with the Omega Constellation Pie Pans for the better part of a month now. At this point, I feel like I've read enough about this watch to feel comfortable with an ebay purchase (although I recently got burned by a bad movement on an otherwise beautiful timepiece that I was able to return). However, I would now definitely prefer to find something on OF to mitigate the gamble. Anyway, until now I've only really been looking for Constellations with a 500 series movement and avoiding all listings with bumper movements just because I read that the former is the better movement without investigating why.

So my question is-
    Why are Omega watches with the 350's bumper automatic movements often valued considerably less than those with a 500's caliber movement? Does one keep better time than the other?
    If I were to keep up with servicing a bumper automatic movement, would the movement have the same longevity as the alternative?

Thanks!

3/200

crayons likes this.
  2. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 19, 2019

They're a design that worked but not as well as a rotor. They also tend to be more worn out than a rotor of approximately equivalent age. Finding one that isn't worn out is hard to do because how do you know until your watchmaker takes it apart? Nearly impossble.

The only reason to own a bumper is if it's a family piece or you'll wear it rarely. Rotors, especially the 550/560 series, have all of the kinks worked out, so to speak, and are much better for daily wear.

Tom

Benbradstock and Majesty like this.
  3. TNTwatch Aug 19, 2019

Never heard of the 352/354 Connies were considerably less valued the the 500 counterparts. Most likely the differences are due to condition. In my list, the 352 is the top and the 504 is second. Everything else is third in the vintage Connies collectible world.

Heavytrevy likes this.
  4. Majesty Aug 19, 2019

Would you concur with VetPsychWars that 504 is preferable in terms of daily wear?

5. TNTwatch Aug 19, 2019

Nope, I have both 352 and 504, wear them both equally and don't see any difference.

Majesty likes this.
  6. Canuck Aug 19, 2019

To the best of my knowledge, the bumper series movements are obsolete, and many of the parts are only available from donor watches, or (expensive) vintage watch parts suppliers. But if you luck out and find a good one that requires only (for example) a crown, crystal, possibly a mainspring, and thorough recondition, they can be affordable (depends on your budget), and can be very good performers. I have a number of bumper automatics from several brands, including two Omegas (a 351 caliber, and a 355 caliber), and they run well, and are reliable, and a pleasure to own. Buying old watches can often result in your buying someone else’s problem, regardless of vintage. So be prepared to shell out for repairs if you find one you like.

M'Bob, JwRosenthal, DaveK and 2 others like this.
  7. TNTwatch Aug 19, 2019

I don't believe you have data to justify your assertion of the wear tendency.

It's harder to find bumpers in good condition mostly due to older generation and lower production to begin with.

The 500 series is newer with higher efficiency and higher production, but any of them will wear out in less than a decade without good maintenance. Both of them are more than 5 decades old already, so the key to longevity for both series is in proper maintenance, not technological advancement.

felsby and S.H. like this.
  8. DON Aug 19, 2019

Bumpers are not as efficient as full rotors when it comes to winding, but one of it's charms is the bumping motion of the movement. When I had mine. I would just rock my wrist back and forth just to feel the bumping motion.

Number of bumper movement parts are discontinued, but many of the movements used a number of the same parts. A part here or there may be more difficult to find, but not a life long search

DON

amcclell, Mac5, Tet and 2 others like this.
  9. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 19, 2019

What do you want, a certification? I am repeating what watchmakers told me when I presented them with some worn-out bumpers to service.

A 1952 bumper isn't that much older than a 1955 rotor. When multiple watchmakers tell me to find watches with 550 or 560 series movements, I tend to listen.

Tom

agee, Benbradstock and Majesty like this.
  10. TNTwatch Aug 19, 2019

Your second hand opinion is far from data, let alone certification. Not all watchmakers experiences can equate to empirical data either.

A quick look at the serial numbers history shows the bumpers used in Constellations were made for about 4 years, while the full rotor for Constellations were in production for about 13-14 years. Easy to understand how 10 year difference will affect perception of most watchmakers.

(Also since you apparently don't have bumper Constellations, I guess the bumpers you heard from your watch makers could very well be the any bumpers from 1940s, which would be about 10 years older than the 550/560)

Edited Aug 19, 2019
  11. Majesty Aug 19, 2019

Honestly, this is actually one of the more persuading comments for me to look at bumper movement watches haha!

noelekal likes this.
  12. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 19, 2019

WRONG, assumption boy! Caliber 353 from 1952 and 1953 in Seamaster KO 2627.

Tom

13. TNTwatch Aug 19, 2019

Didn't I say "guess"? And I wasn't wrong since yours is not a Constellation.

The 353 is obviously worse in terms of date operation compared to later generations. And it's never been used in a Constellation.

14. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 19, 2019

You are making way too much of some general comments in answer to a general question. I'm done with you.

Tom

Majesty likes this.
  15. TNTwatch Aug 19, 2019

The 353's date is not just worse than that of later generations, it's actually the worst one to have out of all Omega movements with date. ::bleh:: No wonder some eyes have colours. ;)

Majesty likes this.
  16. Canuck Aug 20, 2019

I have an Omega caliber 355, date at 6:00. Sure it is far more inconvenient to re-set the calendar than modern quick-set calendar watches, but how is the 353 caliber the “worst”, or worse than a caliber 355, may I ask?

17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 20, 2019

Plenty of great bumper movements that are sought after by many here. To write off bumpers would be crazy in my book.....
    9AEB3EEE-DD22-489D-88F0-AD2D9F166FF7.jpeg 68C8B577-CB8B-4369-BE1B-581CAED7E6E8.jpeg

Edited Aug 20, 2019
  18. Canuck Aug 20, 2019

Likewise. Omega caliber 351. Acquired as a basket case. But today, an excellent performer and timekeeper.

AEE080F0-884C-40F7-B8E2-97DC98E2CF7F.jpeg

Benbradstock and Spruce like this.
  19. JwRosenthal Aug 20, 2019

I own about 6 bumper watches (only one Omega- a Seamaster). I love their charm and the ping-pong sound they make as you move your arm (some are louder than others). Also, most bumper watch cases tend to have a great chunky shape with rounded back and downturned lugs that I love- so comfortable on the wrist and screams 40's/50's.
    I haven't had issues with getting them serviced or running properly, but was advised by my watchmaker that parts are harder to get and donors are usually the only source for some (this was in general, not just Omega). Since they only do a partial wind with each wrist stroke, they do take more effort to keep going. If you have a fairly sedentary lifestyle (lots of desk or couch time), they may stop running periodically unless you hand wind them.
    Furthermore, there is a manual winding movement under that rotor assembly, so even if parts in the automatic drivetrain are screwed and you are on the long hunt for parts, the watch can usually be worn as a hand-wound. If I found a lovely example with this issue and the price was right, I would not have not problem winding it up when I want to wear it. In fact, most of us who rotate watches regularly hand wind our auto/bumper watches anyway to get them going.

thelinendial and noelekal like this.
  20. S.H. Aug 20, 2019

I agree that 550/560 are very nice, this is generally speaking a not unreasonable advice. They were not made in 1955 though, this would be a 50x. Those seem to be much more prone to worn bushings in my experience (more than bumpers, but YMMV).