Forums Latest Members

What's the ***official*** year for vintage?Im

1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Nov 5, 2014

I'm sure this is a tired old question but I don't ( or, can't 'cuz I'm burnt) recall this ever being discussed here or elsewhere.

a.) 1969
    b.) 1973
    c.) 1979
    d.) none of the above

Thank you. :)

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 5, 2014

There was a thread here not that long ago on the subject and it has been ::deadhorse:: on every watch forum I've ever frequented.

Perhaps this thread will finally resolve it with a definition everyone can accept and agree upon. Not.

Of your choices, I vote for "D" - as I prefer to define it for myself, and no doubt the vintage line will continue to change as time passes. After all, the vintage watches we love were once the latest offerings. :D

citizenrich likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 5, 2014

Any thing made by man over 25 years... Essy rule for me:)

citizenrich and Spacefruit like this.
  4. bill5959 Nov 5, 2014

Whew, that leaves me out. :thumbsdown: Regards, bill

citizenrich likes this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 5, 2014

I'm going to say 79 because there were a lot of great watches of the 1970s but the 1980s was arguably one of the worst decades of all time averaged out not just for watches for cars, clothing and much more.

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 5, 2014

Actually this is very important here and celebrated with great gusto once each year.. It is any watch built after Dennis's Birthday.

1677839-bigthumbnail.jpg

tpatta and boat2dan like this.
  7. George.A Nov 5, 2014

If it's older than me, then it qualifies for a vintage watch in my view :)

Spacefruit likes this.
  8. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Nov 5, 2014

agreed for almost everything except music. I was and should be a "british invasion" guy, but after all these years many or most of my favorite bands were 80's synth pop (duran duran, nick kershaw, howard jones, +100 more)

citizenrich likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 5, 2014

Totally agree, I intentionally left 80s music out for that reason, I'm quite partial to the Pet Shop Boys and many 80s bands. The other three though are another story...

Was talking to an American mate about 80s cars once and he goes "What about the 1987 Buick GNX Turbo?". The fact that he came out with that ugly box black shoebox as the best of the 80s sort of summed it up.

Admittedly there were some very specific and expensive European exceptions to that but in general...

10. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Nov 5, 2014

I don't know if it's an americanism, but in general the 80's are referred to as the "Malaise Era" around here, more or less regardless of the product you're referring to.

[EDIT] I just googled the term and it appears that the generally accepted dates for the malaise era were '73 to '83. I still think "the 80's" is more accurate, but whatever. Googling for the term did find some interesting (but ultimately irrelevant) articles.

11. peatnick Nov 5, 2014

Not everything from the 80's sucks

[​IMG]

My 84 Porsche 911

[​IMG]

My 88 Speedy reduced

citizenrich likes this.
  12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 5, 2014

Generally the market in "old things" picks up after 20 years. Thats when all the people who lusted after something that is part of their childhood, can afford to out bid one another.

We are seeing this very strongly in things as diverse as US Hot Rods and Agricultural Tractors.

13. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Nov 5, 2014

In the states, the era of "malaise" was directly attributable to the Carter presidency. They even created something aptly named the "Misery Index " in his honor. I don't recall the exact formula but it was something like...U + I + MR - M1 where U = unemployment, I = inflation, MR = 30 yr. fixed mortgage rate and M1 is money supply. Anything above 20 is miserable and Carter never went below like 40.

Poor guy. Jimmy Carter is proof positive that smart people don't always make smart politicians. the low point of his presidency was a fireside chat with the American public with no fire and President Carter begging his fellow Americans to lower the heat and wear a sweater in the house., Worst idea EVAR.

Don't quote me on this but Carter is literally one of the smartest human beings on the planet. His SB IQ scores from time @ naval intelligence were off the charts. I think his IQ is something like (7) full standard deviations over the mean for regular population. yeah, like a 175 or 180. He's smarter than Hawking lol.

We were a little behind the British with our own version of "Thatcherism" when Ronald Reagan was sworn in as our 40th President and immediately broke the Air Traffic Controllers union and fired the whole lot of 'em, including my favorite uncle. Ooooof, that was a rough start. The United States , England and France had a tough time changing over from industrial giants with powerful trade unions to service and knowledge based economies; all the while fighting a very dangerous Cold War vs. the former Soviet Union.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 5, 2014

I have a lot of respect for Carter - he has done more since he was president than most people will do in 5 lifetimes. While he was president, well not so much. He is indeed a very smart guy.

Cheers, Al

tpatta and citizenrich like this.
  15. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Nov 5, 2014

good taste! Post punk, new romantic and shoe gaze will always be my favorite popular music.

And, love it or hate it, from 1979 to present (sugar hill gang) had as much impact on contemporary music as rock and and roll in her heyday. Rap is that big and is entirely an 80's creation. I had the fortune (or, bad luck, depends on how you look at it ) to have grown up right square in the middle of the birthplace of rap. Pretty cool. I went to high school with sean combs "puff daddy"'and we shared a locker for 2 seasons of varsity football...you get friendly with a man after you see each other butt naked 2 or 3 hundred times lolzzzzzzzx

blackwatch likes this.
  16. Georgieboy58 Nov 5, 2014

I think 7 standard deviations seems a bit far fetched.This would be 205 (for the IQ tests where the 1 SD=15 IQ points; common nowadays) or even 268 (if 1 SD = 24 IQ points; used in some older US tests).
    Just checked and Stanford-Binet seems to use 1 SD = 15 points.

17. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Nov 5, 2014

Yep, I messed up - I meant 5/6 not 6/7. I took FIVE different stats courses for my undergrad / post grad degree(s) and should know better. Sorry, it's been a while...

Anyway, carter tested in the high 170's low 180's. 15 is one full standard deviation although the curve falls so sharply at the end, the actual number gets a bit noisy because you're dealing with numbers close to 1:1mm.

But, yeah , Carter is like that smart.

18. alam Nov 5, 2014

Using this criteria a watch built in 1990 will be considered vintage next year!

STANDY likes this.
  19. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Nov 5, 2014

The other thing about high IQ is that it doesn't test well. The "standard" tests aren't really good at measuring much over the 98th (mensa) or 99th (intertel) percentile. There are also a lot of other factors of intelligence aside from pure IQ, which is a little like comparing cars by comparing horsepower. Certainly a factor, but...

Regarding Carter, I lost most of my respect for him due to the fact that he served on a nuclear submarine but couldn't properly pronounce "NUCLEAR".

Hint: it's not NEW-CUE-LER.

• Top 2 percent of population (98th percentile; 1 person out of 50; approximately IQ 130):
      • Mensa International – as of January 2014, ~110,000 members from ~100 countries; annual dues for American Mensa are $70 (dues differ by country).
    • Top 1 percent (99th percentile; 1 out of 100; approximately IQ 135):
      • Intertel – as of January 2014, 1,300-1,400 members; annual dues are $39.
    • Top 0.1 percent (99.9th percentile; 1 out of 1,000; approximately IQ 145):
      • Triple Nine Society – as of January 2014, ~1,225 members from ~40 countries; annual dues are $10.
      • International Society for Philosophical Enquiry – as of January 2014, 400-500 members; annual dues are $50.
    • Top 0.003 percent (99.997th percentile; 1 out of 30,000; approximately IQ 160):
    • Top 0.0001 percent (not reliable with current tests):

20. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Nov 5, 2014

Yes. My best friend is a child psychiatrist and he's administered (2) IQ exams for my son and (1) for my girl. My boy wanted to be a doctor since he was around 6 years old and once I realized it wasn't a passing fantasy I thought it might be a good idea to find out if he has the brainpower to handle the schoolwork. He's actually really freaking smart ((( proud papa))). My daughter is no slouch either.
    I've really engineered the train way off the tracks here - sorry.
    it's not my nature to share so much personal stuff on a public forum but I really like most of you guys and we all share a common passion so...what the hey!

Here's a book my friend Nikkah "John" wrote before he went to med school. It's a good read for those of us with adolescent boys. I have free PDF's if anyone is interested ...

image.jpg