Forums Latest Members
  1. dialstatic May 11, 2016

in addition to the reference number, Omega clasps typically have a two digit number on them, appearing in a circle. I've seen (10), (11), (12), (13), (29), (30), (31), (32), (33), and (62). There may be more. We find them on stamped & laser etched bracelet clasps alike.

Does anyone know what exactly these numbers indicate? Production country / facility? Type of steel? Version/generation number? Hallmark of some sort? A code for the date when the Illuminati will wipe out civilization?

I've searched these boards for an answer, but could only find various formulations of the question. Who can put this to rest?

(Pictures taken randomly off the internet to illustrate)

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Edited May 11, 2016
    Dms5150 likes this.
  2. SPEIRMOOR May 11, 2016

Good question and I've wondered what that meant also.

dialstatic likes this.
  3. dialstatic May 11, 2016

No one knows this? Or is the answer so obvious that I can't even get a facepalm? ;)

4. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ May 11, 2016

maybe as you originally posted only less than 4 hours ago, people are busy?

watchyouwant, Giff2577 and dialstatic like this.
  5. omegastar May 11, 2016

It refers to the buckle model !
    11 and 12 are the most common.
    Best
    Mounir

6. TNTwatch May 11, 2016

It's the style of the locking clasp, it's first links and the cover. Separately, these components usually are not interchangeable. Perhaps you could create a documentation for them. ;)

GuiltyBoomerang and dialstatic like this.
  7. dialstatic May 11, 2016

Everybody's busy...it's called prioritising.

(Just kidding, of course. I was actually embarrassed at my own impatience when you pointed out I only asked 4 hours ago. It felt like much longer :oops:).

Yes, that feels intuitively correct. Thanks! Tonight, I'll try to see if I can find consistencies across my various bracelets. I'm actually really interested in creating such a document. Does MWO contain anything about these numbers for Speedy bracelets?

Omegafanman likes this.
  8. omegastar May 11, 2016

You can find references in AJTT. , there is a chapter about Speedmaster's bracelets.

dialstatic likes this.
  9. Dms5150 Jul 17, 2021

@dialstatic MWO doesn't go into detail about the significance of the numbers, for example it mentions 1171 bracelets have either 11 or 12, no mention of what that signifies, or of other versions with 30.

The circle indicating the buckle type makes sense, for example buckles with the 30 circle rely on friction coming from the top clasp cover edges when its closed (common on 60's JB Champion bracelets), where as the circle 11 has the additional bent section that also has friction against the hole in the middle clasp section.

There are also many 1116 bracelets with the 30 circle and the old pre 1969 Omega logo. I wonder if they moved to the 11 with the greater security in the clasp in 1970? 11 is used throughout the 70's, where as 30 seems pretty rare, for example you never see a 30 on a trapazoid 1171 bracelet, its always 11 or 12.

Definitely a gap in the knowledge here, it would be awesome to get some documentation going and comparisons between people's bracelets to see if there's common ground. 1171 would benefit the most as there's so many variations throughout the 70s.

Edited Jul 17, 2021
    Puma_135o likes this.