Forums Latest Members

What's more valuable to you? Untouched vintage or...

1. 1st speedy Dec 1, 2020

... Or a vintage watch that's been fully overhauled? I prefer a watch that's as original as possible.... And running.

Dan S, RealFire, noelekal and 3 others like this.
  2. SkunkPrince Dec 1, 2020

After I buy a vintage watch, it gets fully overhauled. I wear mine, not gaze lovingly at them.

Kjack48230, felsby, wagudc and 4 others like this.
  3. Vitezi Dec 1, 2020

I wear mine and gaze lovingly at them :)

Kjack48230, Dan S, Syrte and 18 others like this.
  4. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Dec 1, 2020

I’m not sure that 100% original and running exists. Maybe untouched and running, for now, until the gears grind to dust :thumbsdown:

5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 1, 2020

I love vintage cars, but I want new fuel in the tank, fresh oil in the crank case,.and fresh wiper blades.

6. myatt Dec 1, 2020

Couldn't have put it better myself. It's got to get the full-spa treatment if it already hasn't had one once it with you.

noelekal and Pun like this.
  7. jsducote Dec 2, 2020

"A weapon unused is a useless weapon." - General Sline

Kjack48230, loniscup and noelekal like this.
  8. joeshoup Dec 3, 2020

And, I would add, new belts, brakes, tires, and replace the windshield if cracked!

9. Marsimaxam Dec 3, 2020

My question to you is...Define overhaul?

Definitely prefer my watches all original, but not unserviced. Now, if by overhaul, you mean what Omega service will do to your vintage watch... change crown, dial, pushers and hands... NO. But a watch is essentially a machine and it needs to be maintained or it will not function properly and eventually breakdown. I just bought a mint almost NOS watch, and, although it was keeping perfect time as tested by the watchmaker, there was no service mark inside the case back and the gasket was completely deteriorated... not taking a chance... the watch is now being serviced, but, it will be returned to me with most of the original parts... obviously the gasket will no longer be original to the watch.

felsby likes this.
  10. 1st speedy Dec 3, 2020

So if you had a choice between an all original ac cobra with original tires, battery and even wiper blades and an ac cobra mostly original, you'd pick the "mostly original"?
    Remember, this is for collection.

noelekal likes this.
  11. nanjingcigaretes practicing PMA Dec 3, 2020

Yes, If two watch are in the same condition, I would go with serviced one. My choice.

felsby likes this.
  12. Romega Dec 3, 2020

If the watch is for use - serviced
    If the watch is for collection - untouched (you can always have it serviced later)

1st speedy likes this.
  13. asrnj77 Dec 3, 2020

Of course if it was only a movement service everybody would take a serviced watch. The reason this is even a debate is because “fully overhauled” insinuates replacement crowns, bezel inserts, relumed hands, etc. The barn/sock drawer finds always get more money because the buyer feels more confident that the watch is unmolested and they can have their own service performed. For what it’s worth, I prefer the original watch and I’ll pay to have the movement serviced on my own

14. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 3, 2020

That depends on exactly what you mean by this...however, I prefer untouched vintage whose movement I can get fully overhauled by someone I trust.

befobe, Rudi99, janice&fred and 2 others like this.
  15. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 3, 2020

Hi everyone

This is a topic that never goes away..... I always prefer " as found in the wild" not " as found from a dealer" . If a dealer finds a watch they sometime calls me and ask if I have interest.. First thing I tell them " dont do anything to it until i see it" and then I would make a call one way or the other.

movement serviced , gaskets changed ( if available ) is a good thing.

But first rule is " always buy what you like " ...... sometimes the watch has been "serviced" cleaned , polished etc...

Good Hunting
    Bill Sohne

16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 3, 2020

These are wear parts. I’d certainly replace all those things on a vintage car so I could safely drive it. Most, not all, my watches have been serviced. Some have had bad crystals replaced. A watch that isn’t running is useless. Are you suggesting that servicing a watch in order to actually use it is bad practice?

Flip, YY77, noelekal and 1 other person like this.
  17. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Dec 3, 2020

What if you have 200 vintage cars?

janice&fred and noelekal like this.
  18. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 3, 2020

You gonna fire up that that AC Cobra's engine on a 55-57 year old battery, depend on 55-57 year old oil for lubrication, drive it at speed on 55-57 year old rubber? For the purposes of discussion we'll assume that you won't take the car out on a rainy day so won't need the 55-57 year old wiper blades.

How far are we going to take this originality with this hypothetical AC Cobra? I mean ... we wouldn't want to disturb the original configuration of the factory's original application of original wheel bearing grease by rolling the car up and down the ramps of its transport trailer.

Remember you said: " ... and running."

Only one opinion on this topic, but if I am to buy an all original AC Cobra then I am going to possess it and experience it and not just as an ornament for my garage. I might save all those original maintenance items for display, but the car would be put in running order so that I might drive it.

If a person gets their kicks out of playing museum curator, conserving a pristine example of an object they possess, then great! I'm grateful that there are those kinds of collectors in the world. I'm not that person. I'm a member of the hoi polloi, a consumer, a collector (accumulator?) who wants an experience with the collected object beyond being its museum curator so it would be best to keep my mitts off the rare stuff for I'll use it every time.

Edited Dec 13, 2020
    Flip, NGO1, connieseamaster and 5 others like this.
  19. janice&fred Dec 3, 2020

Yep. If I have a choice I prefer my own tech handling the innards of my watches.

noelekal and Bill Sohne like this.
  20. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 3, 2020

If you have to ask, maybe this is not for you !!! hahahahahaha

200 vintage cars sounds like a high class problem.

Good Hunting
    Bill

Dor_42 likes this.