Forums Latest Members
  1. alam Aug 1, 2012

I'm still in the hunt for the perfect-condition, black-dialed vintage Omega but nothing out there has lifted my skirt yet - so in the meantime, I'm looking at other potential candidates in the dressy category, w/a simple design and clean look. This IWC fits that bill:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18092772944...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1206wt_1149Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]

One thing I note is that many vintage IWCs are coming from Israel - is this just coincidence or is there a connection? Your thoughts on this watch? Condition? Price? How about caliber? Would you go for a 89 or 93?

Also, what other brands/models w/similar style, would you say are in the good value these days. My first choice would be gold, then SS.

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 1, 2012

The conection is GOLD, if you had to flee former east block countries or hide wealth is said same, gold watches was one of the ways to do it.

3. ulackfocus Aug 1, 2012

That's a nice watch, and a few mm's wider than the average vintage piece of it's era. Can't shed any light on the Israel thing, but the caliber 89 is rightfully called the "working man's Patek" because it's not only accurate and pretty, it's also robust and durable. The watch in the picture, if solid 18ct, would sell in the neighborhood of $1200 - $1800 depending on whether or not it's been serviced and it's overall condition. Redials are damn hard to spot because they're so good. There are two more sought after styles of that basic watch - one like cicindela has and the ribbon, or shark fin, lug version that Todd (huntershooter), Will, (will E) and I have. They command a little more to a lot more. If you meant caliber 83 versus caliber 89, I'd choose the 89 - or it's subdial second fraternal twin the caliber 88. Don't pass on their automatics either. The Pellaton winding system was the model for many brands like Seiko, Cyma, and Longines. Vintage IWC watches are gaining in popularity and therefore in price. If you have your eye on one grab it.

Other brands to look at before they go ballistic (and blue chip vintage pieces will only appreciate as this hobby becomes mainstream) are as follows, in order of average selling price:

AP: This might sound like a joke because most of their watches are world class. Many forum members have no clue that AP makes watches OTHER THAN THE ROYAL OAK. :eek: That works for me because they're still a bargain. As vintage VC prices keep rising, so will AP prices.... just a few years behind.

JLC: No, I'm not making another joke. They aren't cheap but they haven't reached anywhere near their peak. People are starting to realize exactly how good this brand is.

Eterna: They were top of the heap in innovation back in the early years of the full rotor automatics. They're ball bearing hub set the standard for modern 360˚ rotor self winding systems. Get'em while they're cheap because the brand is just starting to make a comeback.

Tissot: Bargain Omegas. Enough said!

Benrus: Yes, Benrus. Can anyone name another brand that did so many cool complications in the 40's and 50's that can be had for under $350 a watch - in mint condition???

I called Longines 6 years ago. Anyone wanna bet against me this time? :p

Brands I just don't understand the attraction to, and crazy prices of:

Rolex: No way am I saying they're a bad watch, I just don't understand how a plain ss dive watch can fetch $60,000. ::confused2:: The 6062 I get though.

Breitling: They're the exception that proves the rule about in-house calibers being where the money is at. How does a freakin' Venus chronograph powered watch cost so much simply because there's a white outline of wings on the dial?

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 1, 2012

The script looks a little off on this one you posted, but there are some variations, more to study up on. The IWC forum has a lot of good information.

Here is mine, these 89, 83 cals are great watches.There is a thread here on the forum about them

89-3.jpg

5. smithrjd Aug 1, 2012

You all know one of my favorites, Zodiac. The Sea Wolf's have a cult following. The dress watches are rising, but not yet at crazy prices. Another solid well know old line Swiss maker, Sandoz or Henri Sandoz. Little know here but overseas yes. Breitling, is a crap shoot, I even own one. Rolex.. Is Rolex want a cheap Rolex the Tudor. To me if you want a Harley Davidson, then don't buy a want to be..

6. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 1, 2012

Personally I don't think Tudor is a cheaper Rolex, I really admire some of the stuff that they have been putting out recently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vs

[​IMG]

:p I'd like to get a 1016/6610 before prices shoot up even more...

7. smithrjd Aug 1, 2012

I thought we were talking about vintage here, then I would discount Zodiac. All Quartz now. Tudor to me is aligned with Rolex but cheaper. I do like Gylcine, but they are not cheap. Enicar is interesting depending on the model. Of course there is always Invicta.. They have been around for a while.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 1, 2012

JLC Memovox's are so cheap its ridiculous given its a complicated piece from a premier maker. I'm going to disagree with all of the above though and say Zenith, and here's why:

For the last few decades Zenith has been making crap, specifically crap that nobody wants. Recently they've hit a string of winners that are all harking back to their glory days, and are embracing the El Primero movement itself more than their styling as a selling point, the fact that they're selling time only pieces like the new Espada, based on the EP, minus the chronograph mechanism is proof that they've finally clicked and realized that their legendary 36,000vph movement is the lifeblood of the company and needs to be spread around thick.

Just take a look at this: http://www.hodinkee.com/2012/4/1/introducing-the-zenith-espada-is-a-zenith-el-primero-still-a.html

And we know when a maker gets its current offerings in order and moving upmarket (Omega, Longines, etc) their vintage models fall into line and strengthen as well.

9. ulackfocus Aug 1, 2012

Ash: I should edit your post and remove that name. Nodoby's allowed to get in on my Zenith action until I find my perfect El Primero!

Ron: I don't know much about dive watches, but I do know that Zodiac and Aquadive are the hot names among vintage 70's watches. I think Jenny was associated with Aquadive too.

10. smithrjd Aug 1, 2012

I am not really into dive watches that much, but the Sea Wolf (original) was one of the very first that really was a dive watch. Proven in service during the "Nam" Started in '53, heyday was 60's to early 70's. Franken and redials just now showing up. Hardest part is to find an original with band etc. They were used hard. Aquadive I don't know as well. An other sleeper to the US is Oreint, now owned by Seiko, but left to do there own thing. In house movements, with some interesting complications. Watching the "dress watch" right now, DW gave me a little room..

11. alam Aug 2, 2012

Thanks for your comments.

One thing I noticed is the "Swiss" mark on the eBay watch is slightly off center as compared to this other example posted in the IWC forum. You can see on the top picture, "Swiss" is perfectly centered under the six hour marker.

I think this one is a non-starter.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Wetworks Aug 2, 2012

I'll throw in Mido. I think they may leapfrog Hamilton in the new Swatch pecking order in terms of popularity.

SeanO likes this.
  13. Kommis Vintage Omega Connoisseur Aug 2, 2012

Go for IWC
    IWC 4.jpg IWC 3.jpg IWC 2.jpg IWC 18K 004.jpg

14. alam Aug 2, 2012

15. Kommis Vintage Omega Connoisseur Aug 2, 2012

IMHO Redial

16. ulackfocus Aug 2, 2012

Yep, I concur. Yet another brand that the SWISS or SWISS MADE can be a tell.

17. alam Aug 2, 2012

shucks! guess I need to start working in order to convince Dennis to sell me his! ;)

18. ulackfocus Aug 2, 2012

You can purchase a PWL (personal watch license) so you have first rights to any watch you like in my collection when I decide to flip it. :whistling:

* that's a joke for US football fans.

19. alam Aug 2, 2012

think ahead on those future home improvements my friend.... ;)